Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What NOT to be doing when lightning hits close....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:What NOT to be doing when lightning hits close....

[quote author=DieselDaze link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=0#150729 date=1055967211]Yep, rational thought often ruins the best sense of adventure!<br><br>Rich<br>[/quote]<br><br>I can tell you first hand that being struck by lighting is quite thrilling. There's the bright flash of light that temporarily blinds you...the loud, thunderous clap that bursts your ear drums...the total darkness and silence immediately following...and after you come to theres the three days of walking around looking like . It's all very exhilerating really. ;D Kind of like skydiving with no parachute. ;D I highly recommend it to anyone that's never had a brush with death!! ;D
Old 06-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<br><br>I can tell you first hand that being struck by lighting is quite thrilling. There's the bright flash of light that temporarily blinds you...the loud, thunderous clap that bursts your ear drums...the total darkness and silence immediately following...and after you come to theres the three days of walking around looking like . It's all very exhilerating really. ;D Kind of like skydiving with no parachute. ;D I highly recommend it to anyone that's never had a brush with death!! ;D<br>
<br><br>Only three days Hoss?<br>You still walk around like ! We just thought thats the way you are.<br><br>Rich.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm....maybe there were some long term affects that I didn't realize. [undecided]
Old 06-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

And we were thinking that &quot;twinkle&quot; in your eye was due to the birth of your son.<br>It's REALLY &quot;leftover&quot; electrical sparks.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I'm out on the golf course and it starts to lightning, I hold up my two iron cause I know even God can't hit a two iron.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:02 PM

Now checking the sky and moving faaaaaaaar away from BigBlue
Old 06-18-2003, 04:20 PM

Joins shovelhead <br>I have a friend that has been struck three times. He got struck the last time while we were fixing about a 2mile stretch of fence up on our hill. Scared the poopoo out of me.<br>DM01
Old 06-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Banned

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=15#150767 date=1055970176]<br>Now checking the sky and moving faaaaaaaar away from BigBlue <br>[/quote]<br><br> ;D
Old 06-18-2003, 04:31 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=15#150766 date=1055970014]
When I'm out on the golf course and it starts to lightning, I hold up my two iron cause I know even God can't hit a two iron.
[/quote]

Man and preacher out for a day of golf.
Hole after hole man misses shot, into trees, into sand, into lake,....each time unleashes string of profanity. Each time preacher warns man to control his language.
Each time preacher missed a shot, he'd say &quot;Oops, I missed.&quot;
Final hole, man standing on green for his last 6 foot putt,.....pulls the shot and another string of cursing ensued.
Suddenly clouds grew dark and thunder rumbled and a lightning bolt streaks out of the sky and burns the preacher to a crisp.
Booooming voice from the clouds says &quot;Oops. I missed&quot;.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:46 PM

Wasn't that a scene in Caddyshack? :
Old 06-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Banned

Old 06-18-2003, 04:52 PM

Old 06-18-2003, 05:08 PM

[quote author=Cowhand link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=15#150788 date=1055972766]<br>Wasn't that a scene in Caddyshack? :<br>[/quote]<br><br>Kinda but not quite.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picture if you will.

Elementary school had just let out.
Kids congregating on the playground in small groups waiting for the busses or parents to pick them up.
Clouds form.
Neighborhood girl standing in middle of just such a group, holding an aluminum tennis racket.
Flash-Boom lightning strikes.
Group gets scattered by the force, except for one lying on the ground.
She dies 2 days later.
She was 10 years old (if I remember right)

This happened last year, mid May, at the school my 2 kids go to.
Luckily, they were still inside (they are slower than proverbial to come out of the school)
so they didn't witness the event.

There is still a small quarter sized divot in the asphalt.
A small pine tree surrounded by red rock with a plaque in her memory sits by the flagpole.
Every year on what would have been her birthday, friends decorate the tree with purple ornaments and string
(her favorite color)

OK, serious moment over.

phox
Old 06-18-2003, 05:50 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The before related incident happened this afternoon. I was sitting on the throne, really getting involved in my latest Photonics magazine when CLICKBOOM occured. Got finished pretty fast. Paper not required, self cleaning. Felt the static charge through the walls of the Bat Cave. Still tasting a bit of copper, or whatever it is, in the mouth. Got settled down and got back to work.<br>Still raining. No lightning. Crawled up inside a TAS-4C doing a bit of tweeking when an even louder and more rapid CLICKBOOM occured. I pulled my hand out of the sight really fast and as I was doing that maneuver, I proceeded to ATTEMPT to stand erect. O'scopes, power supplies, and the shelf they were mounted on prevented that. :'(<br>Got choked due to half swallowing my chew bacca. <br>Spit it all out. <br>The cussing started. &gt;<br>The blood flowed from the punctures created by the corners of the test equipment. <br>I shut down ALL power to the shop and muttered a phrase that ends with IT. ;D<br>Sit down and got another chew and dobbed my wounds.<br>Come to the house and got a beer.<br>Other than that, had a great day.<br>

Quick Reply: What NOT to be doing when lightning hits close....