Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what motorcycle should i get

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Shovelhead said on the first page, don't underestimate a 600cc crotch rocket. I have a '05 GSX-R1000 and it would be WAAAAYYYY too much bike for a beginner. You're average 600 (CBR, R6, GSXR, etc...) is capable of a mid to high 10 sec quarter mile run. Another reason I believe STRONGLY about 1000's being too much for beginners, is that I've already had two friends killed in the last year on 1000's. One was a dirtbike racer for several years before riding his bike and the other had previous experience a 600cc bike and thought he could handle it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM

As I'm just starting into this and really have no idea, what is considered "dirt cheap" in the used bike world?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 AM

I should have been more clear, dirt cheap for a used crotch rocket and something like a Vucan, Virago, etc... Also, what are the main diferences between a sport touring bike and a crotch rocket?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:23 PM
rdc
Banned

I say if you want the 1000 go for it. Just be sure to give leave your truck to me in your will first. ( just kidding ) Let me ask you this question. If you would have just got your pilots license, would you start out flying the space shuttle?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:27 PM

I know it's not RED, but I got to through in my pennies.
MY 03 VICTORY VEGAS, it's got 13,000 miles on it and hasn't missed a beat.
[IMG][/IMG]

I can't say a bad thing about these motorcycles i have had nothng but good luck with mine.

T398
Old 09-26-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DRock_GC
Also, what are the main diferences between a sport touring bike and a crotch rocket?
The sport touring bike generally will have ergos aimed at longer distances in the saddle (higher bars, lower pegs), better wind and weather protection, more creature comforts (heated seats and grips, cruise control, etc.), sometimes removable panniers (saddlebags), slightly better accommodations for a passenger, perhaps a larger fuel tank. The engine may be tuned for more low end and midrange at the expense of some top-of-the-tachometer output, but not all are.

If one can think back to the glory days of European cars, it's like the difference between a GT car and a pure sports car.

Rusty
Old 09-27-2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by DRock_GC
As I'm just starting into this and really have no idea, what is considered "dirt cheap" in the used bike world?
There's a lot of bikes that sell for 6-7k new, so you can still get a lot of bike for just 2-3 grand when looking at used bikes. I paid $1200 for my learners bike- a Kawasaki 440 ltd and all I had to do to it is change the oil plus one rear tire over the span of several years and I dogged the heck out of that bike- off roading, lugging it around in 6th gear at 20 mph, scraping in turns, even wrecking a couple of times.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by derceg
Buy The Bike You Want. I Have A R1, Gsxr 1000, And A Harley. I Promise I Can Get Hurt Equally On Any Of Them As Easily As On A 600 Or Even A 250. Doesn't Matter What You Are Riding. What Matters Is How Smart (or Stupid) You Are When You Are Riding.

Totally Incorrect Information!!

Read This Line Carefully: Motorcycle Safety Course

Start with this first. Go through your state course, and learn all you can. Start small, a 200 or 250 cc dirt bike can be a great starter. I would seriously not suggest Halerazor's idea of a 600rr. How about 3.5 sec 0-60 for a beginner.

Also - Please: The Name of a Sport Bike is a Sport Bike; Not a "crotch rocket" Try to improve the image...
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by T398
I know it's not RED, but I got to through in my pennies.
MY 03 VICTORY VEGAS, it's got 13,000 miles on it and hasn't missed a beat.
[IMG][/IMG]

I can't say a bad thing about these motorcycles i have had nothng but good luck with mine.

T398

Cool! I didn't know we had any black TDR members! Diversity is important, even here...
Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by bobwhite
Like Shovelhead said on the first page, don't underestimate a 600cc crotch rocket. I have a '05 GSX-R1000 and it would be WAAAAYYYY too much bike for a beginner. You're average 600 (CBR, R6, GSXR, etc...) is capable of a mid to high 10 sec quarter mile run. Another reason I believe STRONGLY about 1000's being too much for beginners, is that I've already had two friends killed in the last year on 1000's. One was a dirtbike racer for several years before riding his bike and the other had previous experience a 600cc bike and thought he could handle it.

I'd submit that almost ANY sport bike is too much for a beginner-- even a 600.

Then again, I believe that maturity matters more than skill. A guy with discipline and patience could probably start out on a literbike just fine. But this person is rare, and there's a really good chance that you and I are not it.

I'll second the Suzuki SV bikes. They seem to me to be a great all-around package.

If you have the cash, a Ducati Monster is a SWEET bike. I toured the factory in Bologna, Italy-- and I can tell you that Ducatis are amazing works of engineering art. Unfortunately, the only Ducati I can afford is the overpriced keychain I bought on the tour, lol!

I Did get to see them make a $32K 999R limited production model. They pretty much took the previous year's Moto GP championship bike and put a license plate and turn signals on it. Pretty cool to see it.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Cool! I didn't know we had any black TDR members! Diversity is important, even here...
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you kidding me.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 PM

i've put 4k miles on my '04 600rr after 5k miles starting out on a 97 gsxr-750. I LOOOOOOOOVE the 600rr, except for the seat, but it's still more comfortable than the old gixxer. I'm planning on riding over to Corbin and having them make a seat for me, they're only a couple hours away.
i think you'll be pretty happy with your bike, they've made a few nice improvements on the rr's since mine.

if you want a cruiser, the shadow 750 is a great bike. one of my friends has one that he commutes on 60% of the time. he'll roll with us in the mtns, kinda funny. but that thing is fast, way faster than a 750 cruiser should be, gets great mileage, it's unbelievably comfortable and stable, and light; and it's as reliable and well built as Honda's bike reputation is.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by T398
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you kidding me.
J/K-- try the sunblock on your next ride...
Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 PM

You could also think about a V-Star 650, which is a shaft-drive cruiser V-twin with a good bit of get-up-and-go, but is also quite comfortable and relaxed. Although it's not very manuverable for a beginner. This is the real key behind a dirt bike - practice manuverability on "softer" srufaces than asphalt.

Also, pick up a good helmet - think visabilty here, (bright colors save lives) and a true motorcycle jacket, something made by Icon, Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Cortech, etc. Check www.newenough.com as a great source for almost everything but the bikes themselves - and they have a great return policy. Caution, many bike shops do not allow returns of gear, or give "store credit" only. No-one accepts helmets on return, nor can you legally purchase them used in Illinois - so make sure your helmet of choice fits you well.

Oddly enough, one of the hardest pieces of gear to "fit" to people are gloves. Most of us take them for granted, but on a bike, you want great dexterity, solid build, some knuckle protection, and a degree of breathability. It's a mouthfull, but even harder for the product itself to live up to. Don't be suprised to fine eye-popping prices on good pairs of gloves.

Good luck with this - it's a good time to be buying for next year!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree on a Riders Safety Course and leathers.
A small bike on "country roads" gives you some experience and a chance to develop a "gut feeling" for trouble ahead. Big bikes are ok but a smaller bike will let you feel the road and learn manuvers.
My first scooter was a '64 Honda 305 Scrambler w/brass medallions on the sides of the gas tank....1972.

Quick Reply: what motorcycle should i get