Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what motorcycle should i get

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started out on a Susuki GSXR750 and loved it. Finally got the nerve to hit 165 mph on it and then sold it before I wrecked. Drive a hog now (see gallery). I loved the 750.

Just remember, crotch rockets lose value like a Edit. You'll pay $8000 for one and get $4000 out of it the next year. Buy a used Hog. If you pay $8000 for it, you can sell it for $8000 two years later and upgrade to the VROD, or the new Street Rod. Same bike as a VROD, but the foot controls are mid mount and the handle bars are more of a drag bar.

My 2 cents
Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 AM

buy what you want and be responsible. the current crop of 600s are fast,and the 1000s are faster. in the end you will always want more power. i started out on a fzr 600 years ago,the moved to a zx-11,then moved to a gsxr-1000,now i have added a 60hp shot of nitrous to it. i have not been down yet,but i have had my share of close calls.
remember its not IF you will go down, it is WHEN you will go down
be prepared-helment,gloves,boots,and full leathers on these types of bikes
the rush will make you for get about the v-rod untill you are about 35
Old 02-23-2005, 12:36 PM

I would suggest that if your'e a first timer that you consider a dirt/street dual sport bike first.... like you, i dove into bikes without any experiance at all. I got a Honda xr250 which i've enjoyed immensely strictly dirtbiking...but with a light kit and mirrors i can go street legal if i want. I want to gradually move up to a good cruising bike but i think i'll take my time and do it right. Practise, Practise and training.... there are too many morons on the road to watch out for.
Good luck.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Here's a funny story. My brother used to have a Hurricane 1000. He was riding one day, through town and came up to a red light. While he was stopped there, an ambulance pulled up next to him. The driver rolled down the window and said, "nice bike... should I just follow you or what?"
Old 02-23-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by BPD239
I've owned numerous sport bikes, from a 250 ninja on up. The biggest mistake I ever made was buying a Buell...
This place makes some Buell/Hybrid Mutants... it's uhhhh different. lol

http://redneckengineering.com/mutants.htm
Old 02-28-2005, 01:53 AM

bought one this weekend 2005 cbr600rr black with tribal ghost flames. haven't had a chance to ride it yet but it sounded awsome when i fired it up and reved it up to 16,000 rpm
Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 AM

Hey Halerazor,
Did you buy from Competition Accessories? and are they pretty good to deal with? Have fun ridin' but don't make the mistake I did and go out on cold Ohio roads and break-up a perfectly good leg. I still ride, although a Goldwing, but I did learn a tough lesson.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah... Motorcycles!

My first bike was a 1966 Honda S90. Great little bike.

When I was in Italy, I toured the Ducati factory in Bologna-- quite a treat. I'm convinced that a Duc is the Rolex of motorcycles. The attention to detail on a Duc is remarkable. A Duc will be for me an unrealized dream.

My first recommendation to someone looking to get a bike is to look at a late 70s or early 80s UJM. My favorite is the 79 GS550 Suzuki or similar ilk. Great, cheap, easy to fix, bulletproof bikes.

In newer bikes, I'll second the recommendation of the Suzuki SV series. Definitely unsung heroes. WAY more practical and useable in the real world than a sport bike.

Sport bikes are a lot of fun, but you'll find that sickening acceleration, while fun, doesn't make the whole riding experience more fun. It's nice to have something you can ride for a couple house without permanent joint damage.

Putting aside your ego and thinking will steer you away from that Hayabusa or 1100xx or that CBR, ZX, GSXR, or YZF.

Instead, you'll look more at an SV or Bandit style bike. All the Japanese makes are pretty good. I'm partial to Suzuki, but that doesn't make them any better than brand H, Y, or K.

DON'T SKIMP ON THE HELMET. Yes, a quality Shoei might run $500 or more-- but what's YOUR brain worth? As anyone who's read my posts on here knows, I'd consider MINE worth that much J/K

My current object of desire is the Combat Motorcycle that the Marines are getting. It's based on the tried-and-true KLR 650, but IT'S DIESEL!!!!

http://www.f1engineering.com/projectpics%20white.html

Justin
Old 03-02-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my first bike at 12 it was a XL 75 honda. Then when I was 15 I got my first street bike. Couldent ride it legaly so I had to stay on the gravel roads around home. It was a OLD CX500 Honda. Sold it when I started collage and when I graduated I bought a 93 FZR600. Wrecked that within 3 months ( not my fault). Next bike was a V45 Magna. This was a good bike but traded it for a work car after I got my truck to fancy to drive to work. Now my wife has me convinsed to get anouther bike. Today we agreed to buy a V65 Magna from a coworker of hers. This sould be fun. Does anyone know how they stack up to a VMAX ??

As far as getting a 600RR as your first bike, I hope you are mature and can respect it. Otherwise you will be 6 foot under shortly. That happened here a couple years ago. Some rich people bought there son a brand new 600 sport bike for graduating high school. Then the day after it was brought home the parents left on a trip leaving the kid and his new 120 hp bike alone. They told him not to ride it till they got home. Ya rite like that was going to happen. He went out riding with his buddies and when one of them goossed it he decided to up them one and opened it up on a city street. He wound up loosing it and couldent slow it down. He missed a curve and hit a lite pole at 120+. He dident die instantly but instead sat there with a broken neck and bled to death in his freinds arms. He hit the steel light/electric pole so hard it bent the thing over and moved the cement base. RESPECT IT!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:44 PM

WOW! First time in the Forum and some great information here! I've got the bug to purchase a bike but have very limited dirt experience so I'm digging for any informtaion I can find. Thank for posting all the stuff above about bike sizes and types. I too really want a crotch rocket but my practical side doesn't want to pay the insurance or risk trashing the plastic while I'm learning. How major is the difference between a crotch rocket and a sport touring?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:37 PM

Buy The Bike You Want. I Have A R1, Gsxr 1000, And A Harley. I Promise I Can Get Hurt Equally On Any Of Them As Easily As On A 600 Or Even A 250. Doesn't Matter What You Are Riding. What Matters Is How Smart (or Stupid) You Are When You Are Riding.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I may be partial but I`ll toss in a vote for a SOHC 750 Honda. I`ve owned two, a 1975 and currently a 1973. They are stone simple,cheap and a great bike to learn on ,it won`t do 10`s in the quarter and top speed is 120 or so (not that you would ever want to go that fast ). Best of all is they are affordable and VERY BOMB-able (can I use the BOMB word when relating to bikes ). ck this out for what ya can do to em (if all goes well mine will be sporting some nice mods this spring)
Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 PM

Get a 1000. If you buy a 600, you'll be trading it in in about a month anyways because you'll want something faster.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 PM

Well google tells me that little 600rr is rated at 117 hp Thats no learners bike. Most cruisers with twice that displacement have 1/2 that power. The front wheel would come up if you get into too hard and the back wheel would come up if you brake to quickly. Keep in mind also that the redline is, what, like 15K? and these bikes make the most power on top.

Get a cruiser that will keep both tires on the ground with a wide usable powerband. I don't know much about hondas but I'd say if you wanted to go bigger than the shadow look at the vtx 1300 as an alternative.

Buy your gear, get some training, and buy a reasonable bike to learn on
Old 09-26-2006, 12:30 AM

Talking

Halerazor, if you want a Honda, ride the VTR Superhawk V-twin, not a good first bike, but sounds like you have your mind made up. Put some two brothers pipes and it sounds like a nascar engine. Has stump pullin torque, and its a HONDA! I'm 48 so now I ride an " Old mans motorcycle" Goldwing and RoadKing. Actually I'm not mature enough to own a sportbike, because I can't help but to twist the go stick, they sound so good, be careful, they can kill or maim you.

Quick Reply: what motorcycle should i get