Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what motorcycle should i get

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what motorcycle should i get

i want a vrod but i can't afford one right now so i am going to buy a crotch rocket. i can't decide if i should get a 1000cc or 600cc bike. i've never ridden a bike before but i'm sure i can pick it up pretty quick. i want the 1000 but everyone tells me i'll kill myself thats it's not a beginners bike but i figure it's like everything else and you get use to the power and speed.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Thumbs up ROCKET

Ducati...
I have always loved these bikes and everybody said the same thing, and I probably would. But I have a family that needs me and my truck is alot safer. But hey at least test ride one.

http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorthamerica/
Old 02-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Whatever you decide to ride,

TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE RIDER'S SAFETY COURSE

as soon as possible

Your relatives will thank you.

In my not so humble opinion, a 1000cc crotch rocket is not a good choice for a 1st motorcycle.
Waaaay too easy to get in over your head in a riding situation.
Even the 600s can be too much for some begining riders.
Wear a GOOD helmet, and ALWAYS wear at least:
a leather jacket, gloves, long pants & boots.
Asphalt has a nasty way of removing hide that you'll remember for a loooong time.

Remember there are only two classes of riders:
Those that have gone down,
And those that haven't gone down.....YET.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Banned

If you were around here I would say get a dirt bike, that way ya woulldn't have to worry about the lousy drivers we have, but as shovel said humble up and take a course, could save your life. Maybe a used 600 -750 size till you get used to the bike ridin, then you can get a new 1000 crotcher or by then have the funds for the V rod.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:09 AM

Don't judge a motorcycle by the engine. 600's are violently quick, just like the 1000's. That's old-school thought.

Bikes are divided by segment these days, so you'd be well-served to pick something that ISN'T a racebike with license plates...

Something with a little more trail on the front end (more stable, less likely to dump you during slow speed stuff)..

My personaly favorites are in the class of the Suzuki SV650 series. fun as hell, light, and depending on which model you get, little, or no $$$$$ bodywork to repair when you go down.

P.S. Invest in a pair of "frame sliders", they'll save you a bunch of money.

Riding is 70% rider anyway...

That's my thinking as a curvy-road rider... but you mentioned V-rod initially.. so I ask - Why (what purpose) are YOU wanting a bike for? Just a relaxing cruise? Fun in curves? Road trips? Looking cool? (it's OK, more than one rider has started off like that)..
Old 02-20-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure you sign your organ doaner card!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:42 AM

Maybe something like a 600 Shadow to start out on, then trade it in after a year or two of riding under your belt then get your rocket if you still want it. I agree that 600 cc crotch rockets are suicide on wheels, so think before you buy. Something that winds up slow is a good way to start off.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:48 AM

halerazor, don't know how old you are, but the riding posture on a crotch rocket is significantly different than a VROD. How much "fun" are you willing to endure? There are many definitions of performance (especially for motorcycles - comfort is one of them).

Quite frankly, its all about maturity, and riding within your limits and traffic limits. A riders course will help get you on the right track. Are you a risk taker? Are you injury/accident prone? Do you find yourself blaming others for things? Do you have the maturity to say "no" when others are egging you on (including your own ego)? A squid can get themselves killed just as easy on a literbike as a hyper600 as a hogly davidson. Just because a particular bike can bust any speedlimit known to man in any gear doesn't mean that a rider has to ride it like that. Those bigger bikes also have better brakes/tires etc, and they'll last a zillion miles with just a little restraint on the throttle.

I ride two-up often, and wanted a little extra motor; but without the "intense" riding posture nor the initial buy-in cost.

Go read eskimo's post again. Are you more interested in profiling or carving roads or gobbling up great quantities of highway miles? That will help before you drop some change on a motorcycle. There are many folks who do them all on one bike - but there are differences.

I can't really advocate a dirtbike when there are so many docile street bikes that do a better job of holding their own on the superslab for a new rider. (I can hear the KLR/Beemer650 guys screaming at me already ....). I've also been riding my 540 Thumper on the road for years. Now if you want to hit the trails, then look at those too.

If you don't really know what floats your boat, and as eskimo said, those Suzuki 650 and 1000 (Vstroms & WeeStroms) etc are great bikes - cost wise and performance wise. I have a sweet spot for 4 cylinders, but to each his own.... Also a grunch of late model 650-800's out there to consider at good prices.

Buy smart for the first time, you never know, you might decide to keep it when you buy that VROD.

Have fun, motorcycles are a blast - its all about "the ride".
Old 02-20-2005, 10:15 AM

If you have never ridden before- take Ed's advice.
A modern 600 cafe style bike will scare you they run so hard. I would buy a nice clean used one first- that way if you decide to go bigger, you can sell it without losing a bunch of money. New bikes drop a grand as soon as you wheel it outside.
As far as bike choice- pick one that your comfortable on. All the modern bikes are pretty good. Good luck- just remember, they accelerate way faster than they stop
Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 AM

check out suzukis SV 650 AND SV 1000. awesome bikes. They are twins so the power is more down low rather than bumble bee on top. They are sport standards, which means they have no fairings like rockets but get the job done all the same.

Also take the riders course and get an AMA membership. They have very good benefits for motorcyclists.

Proud AMA member here
Have raced motocross for 6 years
Old 02-20-2005, 10:52 AM

Eskimo, I just read yoiur post again, But I have to disagree, Its 90% rider 10% bike. At least thats our thing over in the dirt world!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

From my previous buying experience, here's a couple tidbits:

First, as has been previously mentioned, BEFORE you even test ride a bike, go take the MSF Basic Rider's course. They supply the bikes. If nothing else, you're insurance company will give you a break. Then, once you get your bike and are comfortable with it, go back and take the Advanced Rider's course. Invaluable!

Second, when I started looking for a crotch rocket, I was thinking 600cc. After talking with the salesman for a while, he mentioned the fact that the 600s are almost as quick, but have a shorter wheelbase and are therefore less stable. Lest you think he was trying to sell me a bigger bike (well, OK, he was, but a 750 wasn't all that much more than a 600), he took me out back to their wrecked bike storage and over 80% of them were 600s. Of course, it's not just because they're twitchier. Many young, new bike riders without experience can afford them. And, to quote "Top Gun", "[their] bodies are writing checks [their] bodies can't cash."

Third, check with your insurance company before you sign on the dotted line. Many won't insure crotch rockets at all. Some have "acceptable" bikes and blacklist bikes. They'll also want to know how much riding experience you've had (as in how long have you had a MC endorsement) and the like. Without much experience, expect to pay a lot for crotch rocket insurance if you can get it at all.

You might want to consider a more "standard" style bike or a sport tourer instead of a pure crotch rocket. Get a few years and miles experience, then move to the VRod if you're in a position to do so or into a crotch rocket.

Oh yeah, and I sold my crotch rocket. Found I just wasn't riding it much. It was fun to ride the mountain roads, but it just wasn't all that comfortable for more than a few hours at a time. And mine was a sport tourer (Katana 750); I couldn't even fold my body onto the pure racers like the GSX-R. Check for fit and be realistic; there's positions you will just never "get used" to!

Good luck and post some pictures when you get it.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:13 PM

it has to be a honda i buy my dad gets 20% off of it since he works at honda. i'm either going to buy a 600rr or a 1000rr. i'm 25 and 6'1 so i think i might buy which everone is more comfortable. i can buy a new bike cheaper than i can buy a used one, but if the 600's are less stable than the 1000's maybe i'll just get a 1000rr
Old 02-20-2005, 06:42 PM

If you're looking strictly at Honda and this will be your first bike, you sound like you've already made up you're mind about a rocket bike, I would strongly suggest the 600cc. The 600's are violently fast & quick, the 1000cc's are extremely violently fast & quick. There is a difference in my mind anyway about being fast and quick. Fast to me is speed, top speed uwards of +100mph. Quick is how soon you get to Fast. When you're riding a bike like this, it takes no time at all to get yourself in a world of trouble. I've riden a 1100 Ninja, and pulled out on a highway with traffic cruisig at 65-70, by the time I hit 3rd gear I was passing cars that just went past me while I was sitting at the stop sign, that's QUICK.

My wife calls me a grandpa because of the way I drive, SSSSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWW. I am currently in the market for a new bike, sold my 1100 Shadow Spirit in 02 and am now getting the itch again. I'll be looking for another 1100 Spirit, Sabre or similar and have even thought about the VTX 1800. Honda has new 2003's left and dealers are selling them for around $8500.

Whatever you get, I agree with the others, take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses, there's more than 1. Here's a link, www.msf-usa.org/. My neighbor took the course last year, I never have taken it, but I've been riding for 25 of my 36 year age and I think I'm going to sign up to take it anyway, I can always learn more about riding.

I always wear a helmet (don't get me started on helmet laws) whether required or not, and it's always full face. Come people complain about full face helmets being hot, if you buy a nice one with ventilation, you won't have a problem.

Good uck on whatever you purchase and ride SAFE.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Banned

Well... good luck with that one! You're jumping straight to the first string Varsity level there with less than a JV skill set. I think you might be making a mistake.

Then again, you might be totally responsible and take it very slowly in building your skills and daring. I hope so!

Quick Reply: what motorcycle should i get