Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What a miserable, expensive, soggy night!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID,

if ya didnt have bad luck youd have NO luck at all. I CAN relate. Good luck buddy.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:23 PM

Sorry to hear it... Like many others, wish you were closer, I'd be over with another shop vac, and a beverage or two to help out. If you have insurance on the house, call them... they may pay to have a flood restoration company take care of it for you. Sure saves the back!

Hope all works out for you!

Dennis
Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 PM

Man Bill, I just read this and all I got to say is I'm glad the electricity didn't get you! You've really had a tuff couple of months. All I can say is...
Everyone meet at Bill's, bring your tools.
Nat
Old 10-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That light at the other end aint the end of the tunnel, it's the freight train coming at you about 80 mph.
Man, I thought I was the only one with luck like that.
Hope everything is OK or at leat getting better for you.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:23 PM

Bill, CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY!!! Most homeowners' policies will cover damage caused by a broken pipe. They just won't cover the broken pipe itself (go figure). Call your agent and see what happens.
Tom
Old 10-14-2004, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
HID,

if ya didnt have bad luck youd have NO luck at all. I CAN relate. Good luck buddy.
Me and Murphy have a close personal relationship Look at it this way, life is not boring

Words of wisdom, water dries out, engines can be fixed, and each day I get a day older. Tomorrow I have dinner with my youngest, see life is not all bad
Old 10-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Couldn't have said it better,,,,,,,,,,,

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Me and Murphy have a close personal relationship Look at it this way, life is not boring

Words of wisdom, water dries out, engines can be fixed, and each day I get a day older. Tomorrow I have dinner with my youngest, see life is not all bad
Ya know Bill,,,,,
With an outlook on life like that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll bet you live a very, very long and happy life!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:55 PM

my .02 Stop ticking off the Devil and he'll leave you alone. But in all seriousnes I feel for what you are going through. If you keep your head up and you're faith in the right place you have nothing to worry about. Because there is always tommorow and if it doesn't come then you have nothing to worry about. Keep smilin
Old 10-15-2004, 06:46 PM

Dang, Bill, you've got a great outlook on life. When my truck got hit, I was sick to my stomach the entire next day, but you're right, it can all get replaced. People can't.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Crimedog
Dang, Bill, you've got a great outlook on life. When my truck got hit, I was sick to my stomach the entire next day, but you're right, it can all get replaced. People can't.
Everyone is the product of their past experiences. Several years ago the love of my life left, not to return. I spent a couple of years in the pits of depression. Along the way someone gave me an Alanon book. I never had a drinking problem and for all practical purposes I don't drink, but the lessons in it are really great. BAsically there are some things that you cannot control, but you have to get hold of yourself and go on.

A cracked block means in reality that you have to pull it and install one that is not cracked. Does not matter what other things have gone wrong, but the longer you fret about it the longer it is till the problem is fixed. Same for the water, it is there, no changing that, and the work does not give you much time to feel sorry for yourself.

It is not so much a great attitude towards life, but rather a resignation to the reality of life. Why make it worse feeling bad as I did for the couple of years. Life is how you feel about it. I'm warm and well fed (obviously ) so work has to be done, it is all part of it....

Just had dinner with my beautiful daughter, caught up on all the family gossup. Now to vacuum that carpet again
Old 10-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Banned

...Just had dinner with my beautiful daughter...
(substitute any family member for daughter) the important part being the "BEAUTIFUL" and you know Bill, life does not get much better than that. I am smiling for you, I know you feel good.

Cheers, Peter
Old 10-16-2004, 03:27 PM

... caught up on all the family gossup...
Ahhhh, the good ol' family gossip
Old 10-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Haulin,
Just read about your dilemna. I hope by now someone has instructed on the use of a commercial dehumidifier. You need to get that DRY real quick before mildew starts growing. Rent one based on the square footage involved that will bring it down quickly. Then, as stated before, several air movers. If the carpet is still in there it is probably shot and will mildew bad. YOU DON"T WANT THAT = = bad stuff can happen. Go to a commercial cleaning chemical supply house and buy a gallon of commercial mildewcide, mix according to directions and spray everything that got wet using a pump up sprayer. Stop the growth before it starts.

Good attitude about it - - stiff upper lip, take the licks and go get it fixed. That stuff happens - - it just does and nothing you can do about it. Good luck.
Bob
Old 10-17-2004, 07:12 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Bill is it block or wood foundation? What Bob said about the mildew! Would any insulation have gotten soaked?
Old 10-17-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Redleg
Bill is it block or wood foundation? What Bob said about the mildew! Would any insulation have gotten soaked?
It is the lowest level on a split level. It is block walls and concrete floor at that point. Being fall, there is little mildew resulting from it. Is starting to dry out now. Unfortunately there is much very heavy furniture down there as it was my office and ham shack for years. There is a bench on 6 inch casters that is over eight foot long and goes up to the ceiling and cannot be removed, must be disassembled. Unloading the carpet is near impossible, five legal sized file cabinets among other heavy stuff.

Quick Reply: What a miserable, expensive, soggy night!