Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What is Memphis like, need your input...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is Memphis like, need your input...

Well, company I work for has been bought out. The deal is not done yet but will be soon. The buying company is HQ'd in Memphis, TN. Having never been there I don't know what it is like.

Anyone from there or living there? Like to know anything you are willing to share.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been there a time or two and had a good time...of course I was on younger and on Biel (spelling) St. I don't think I would want to live there because it does seem kind of rough. Don't know for sure, just what I see on the news. Also, if a city has ever been on an episode of COPS, I don't want to live there.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM

I would say memphis is VERY depressed after last nights championship game,
Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM

I worked at a bar down on Overton Sq. during the in the 70's, so I don't remember...
Old 04-08-2008, 07:16 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I have been there once (and thru the airport countless times)

Im sure the town has is nice, redeeming features, but I didn't see any. The BBQ is good, but past that, you can have the place.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard Memphis is becoming one of the most dangerous cities in the US. I'd like to visit though, see Graceland and Nashville.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am from the area, but I have lived in Texas 17 years now. Been back many many times since then though.

Memphis the city, is not good from what I last knew of it. It has the Miss. River on the west.....State line of MS to the south....can't grow much east because of the suburbs.

It is pretty well crime ridden and doing everything it can to annex places that don't want to be annexed to shore up it's tax base. The so called leaders have pretty much played the race card, imo, everyway they could until they have ruined the city with infighting and power struggles for the wrong reasons. So most people who have options are moving out or already moved out. You don't want to send your children to Memphis city schools. I am sure there are a few good neighborhoods in the city....but...

If you have to move to the area I would try to move to North Mississippi to Desoto County....maybe Hernando or Olive Branch and commute into the city. If you can afford it you might look out east toward Germantown, TN or points further out, east or south.

Good luck.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
I am from the area, but I have lived in Texas 17 years now. Been back many many times since then though.

Memphis the city, is not good from what I last knew of it. It has the Miss. River on the west.....State line of MS to the south....can't grow much east because of the suburbs.

It is pretty well crime ridden and doing everything it can to annex places that don't want to be annexed to shore up it's tax base. The so called leaders have pretty much played the race card, imo, everyway they could until they have ruined the city with infighting and power struggles for the wrong reasons. So most people who have options are moving out or already moved out. You don't want to send your children to Memphis city schools. I am sure there are a few good neighborhoods in the city....but...

If you have to move to the area I would try to move to North Mississippi to Desoto County....maybe Hernando or Olive Branch and commute into the city. If you can afford it you might look out east toward Germantown, TN or points further out, east or south.

Good luck.

What he said. I grew up in Southeast Missouri and was in Memphis all the time and I have travelled in and out of their airport also. I wouldn't live there but there are some entertaining things to see and the food is good. Nice dragstrip there also. It's where they hold the NHRA Mid-South Nationals.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Had a friend in our local area get relocated there for 4 months last fall, working with the Core of Engineers rebuilding a ship. He indicated that while he had no problems at his hotel or the resturants he and his co-workers went to, they didn't wander too far from thier area, and the locals encouraged them not to. They worked seven days a week while there so no time fore being touristy at all. The folks they encountered were friendly and hospitable, but all indicated: be in before dark.

I would do some google searching to get some more accurate neighborhood reports. Every city has good & bad points, and there's crime (sadly) in nearly every area - even the wealthy towns. The question is is it a place you would want to live with your family?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to school in Jackson and we partied LOTS in Memphis. Its not a town I would want to raise a family in, hence the reason I did not stick around after university (and I was single then). I do love the food down there, still have some great friends and the Blues music is awesome, but just not a safe place for a little skinny guy like me.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Great feedback, all of you, thanks. Will factor in all that was said when the time comes to decide.

Jim
Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A few years ago Memphis was voted the "fattest" city in America.

There are some nice suburbs, lots of motorsports activity, and FedEx's hub there draws a lot of ex-naval aviators into in's ranks.

One day they might actually finish I-40's direct route through the city...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Chapter President

My Brother lived there for three years (Lineman for time warner cable) and would NEVER even visit again. He got shot at on a daily basis and when I would call to see how he was doing I could hear gun fire. Im so glad he is back here in Texas now. Ok back on track, other than Memphis in May it is crap. Keep in mind he lives in Garland now and say that it is 100% improvement, those who have been in Garland know its not the best place to live.

If you have children you should strongly consider going there before deciding to move.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to live in Garland, when it was the 10th largest city in TX... not the safest place!

I used to have family in the Memphis 'burbs - at least that part was pretty nice.