Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What kind of dog to get...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:49 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bentwings
Jack is absolutely right, re-read his posts... all of them. You can apply this to any of the herding or working dogs. All these dogs need some good training. The most important training is for yourself. Learn how to train the dog first before you get the dog.

These dogs don't do things YOU want naturally. They don't speak English or German, they speak dog...you need to be bi-lingual, learn Dog.

AND MAKE SURE THE DOG KNOWS THAT YOU ARE THE ALPHA. You don't have to do this by violence, either.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Jack Thorpe;1497191]I disagree with you about 1000%, respectfully of course. =QUOTE]

This thread is like watching the dog whisperer with my wife!!

The beauty of DTR - we disagree, but still go home at the end of the day with respect.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM

A little off topic, but are the training that is done at places like PetSmart and those kind of places worth doing? I have an almost 1 year old mix (from the shelter) that needs training, but not sure where to start.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM

For training a family pet, yeah. It's only $99 and you learn some simple, but solid, technics for training your dog. It worked for me and my dogs.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM

My Shepherd is very well trained however I keep her on a lead when I'm not home to keep her from getting down into the highway or over at the neighbors. No matter how well trained they are some animals will still roam a little when the alpha is away. My Dane and Shepherd both will, however my Akita that passed away 7 months ago at 13 years of age would never leave the yard. Just like kids will do what they are not supposed to when no-one is watching. If either my Wife Or I am home she is loose. The Dane prefers to stay in the house and sleep on her rug all day until we get home. The Shepherd hates the indoors and really doesn't like being made to stay inside even on nights when it drops below 25 outside.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some dogs train better around other dogs, some need to be alone to focus, so u just gotta figure out what ur dog will train best under and find a suitable class to take it to. I've been through training with 4 dogs, and each one handled it differently but in the end if u treat them like family and give them the attention they want they'll be great. I just don't like seeing people get dogs and leave them in a kennel all day or on a chain and never do anything with them, whats the point of having one then? (and i don't mean leaving them while u goto work everyone has to do that)

My vote is for a German shepard
Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Cesar Milan is pretty good for learning the basics. He does a lot of work getting people to understand that they have to be the alpha in the relationship. He has DVD's available. He uses alot of the same technics and beliefs used in horse training concerning you being the animals leader.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrettctd
I need a smart one. Easy to train, medium size
That was all I needed to hear to know the answer to your question...

Great Dane.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
...maybe you should consider a goldfish or something.

I'm sorry...it just made me laugh.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM

I have two German Shepard's with German lines , both are all black with good and excellent hips . The American lines have many health problems and have given the breed a bad name . One is my handicap assistant dog for me and the other a family pet , both have jobs and have never been on a chain . I consider that cruel and a mistreatment of a dog , any dog . I know of many hunting dogs which are kept on chains and disagree with it . If you do not have time to train a dog right you do not have time for a dog . Yes certain conditions make training a dog harder that just means you train harder . A smarter dog means the trainer needs to be smarter so be careful a smart dog can be a handful . Even the dumbest dog can be trained no mater of what age and type . Many many people have dogs who should not , and it angers me to see how they treat them and I think that is were a lot of the negative comments are coming from . A pet of any kind brings a lot responsibility , even a gold fish , many do not realize this at purchase time . Some of the best dogs are found at the pound , so please give them a chance if you can .
Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 PM

shelter or breed specific rescues are great choices. If you know what you want. Everyone does kind of taken a liking to the breed they have. So for me its Boxers. Between Maisy my brother's girl and my boy Diesel, it would be hard for me to go back to something else, I grew up with an Irish Setter, German Shepards, Labs, and a Cocker, through the years.

Medium size & smart. As for the hyper part, yeah this is true of some, some are very much so, but alot of that has to do with the people around them and how people interact with them. But my niece at 9 months old could use him as a pillow, grab him by the ears, walk off with his toys, and got nothing more than a lick on the face. I would guess he's protective of the house and family, but never want to find that out.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 PM

Right now I have a blue heeler mix and it is most laid back (besides a St. Bernard) and best hunting dog that i've ever had. If a sheperd is too big get a heeler.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 PM
DTR Mom

Wink Got to chime in a concern, my friend

longtime artic dog handler/evaluator (Alaskan Malamute, Samoyed, Siberian husky- so smart I had to get a book to understand him)

Please consider: your activity level and availibility
concern : "easy to train" statement
dogs get personality, domesticated from social contacts with humans and other animals; training is what reinforces how they act. the first five weeks 'you' have a dog are the most demanding as you WILL have to change your schedule and physical activity to properly bond/educate what the canine is expected to do. YOU have to be very consistent, repetitive and perfect. commitment
these fellas are guiding you rightly to a family animal (boxer or shelter mix)
I have a special place for therapy animals and their magic with affected folks. I get all mine from the shelters. when you are paying for a healthy , long lifed animal- it will cost some high bucks.
only time I ever screamed is when I saw a friend let out a German shepard from a four foot , nasty cage; who had dysplasia and ran toward me. PLEASE PUT THAT DOG DOWN! it was awful. if cost is a concern, do the shelter!

Breeds are grouped with different human lifestyles and expectations.
none of them like to be chained in the backyard away from humans. My opinion but a great commercial a decade ago....

sled pulling siberians are the only true canine that should be chained. but they get more care, health checks, interaction, training, exercise and family time than any other dog i know of.
siberians are not a loyal dog and can run easily for 25 miles. my dog can bring back half a deer. though i have 95 acres, seven acres are fenced just for him, easy dog door access to the house. owner responsiblity. if he could drive, he'd be gone with my car. the vet bills for porcupines are not cheap either. LOTS of reasons for spending some great quality time, training your new pet!!! by the way- my siberian loves me, lays at my feet or finds me in a store. I still don't know why....

hope you have a good time with that search/decision!! best of luck and cuddle that neice!!
Heidi from NY
Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
DTR Mom

Talking Never mind the Food Guy or the Janitor...

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Chaikwa has a 10 week or so Black Lab pup he is looking for a home for.....
I stood outside at 5AM every morning in the blustery cold New york mountain
weather to potty train that dog!! I drove 1080 miles to deliver it.

that dog is NEVER leaving that property!!!!

and you never saw the cranky guy I did for two years JUST melt and laugh when he finally got him......

animals really make us better humans...

Diane says she wants another dog, I heard her! or was that another trailer?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
I stood outside at 5AM every morning in the blustery cold New york mountain
weather to potty train that dog!! I drove 1080 miles to deliver it.

that dog is NEVER leaving that property!!!!

and you never saw the cranky guy I did for two years JUST melt and laugh when he finally got him......

animals really make us better humans...

Diane says she wants another dog, I heard her! or was that another trailer?
Scott told me you have a brother or siste rto Jake that needs a home.....
THAT is what I meant by ..NOT JAKE... I am very aware it would require lethal force and several large men to remove that pup from Scotty....

Quick Reply: What kind of dog to get...