Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What kind of dog to get...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:04 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by t-boe
It seems like it's really hard to find German Shepards that don't have or are going to have alot of health problems. My aunt and uncle found one and they've had her for about 12 years. She's got mild arthritis but she gets around really good most of the time and when she's hurting they've got medication for her. She's probably one of the most well mannered and protective dogs I've ever seen. If I could find a reputable breeder that had good healthy Shepards, I'd be all over that like a dog on a bone. (pun intended ) Know of anyone?
The best advice I can give you is avoid American bred Shepherds. Jonah comes directly from German lines and is very healthy and strong, including his hips. Sometimes you can easily tell by the ridiculously insane angle of their backside. If you see one like that, run like the wind. They are most likely American bred and you might have problems with them. GSD's weren't meant to be like that, period. Jonah has a straight back, and his hips have never given him issues, and with the way I work him, that's a good thing. He doesn't just sit around, that's for sure.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what I am doing...we happen to deal with dogs different here on ranches than in cities...fences are more restrictive, not to mention my dog could clear a 6' fence, than anything else. They were only chained when we had to leave, which since my dad works on the ranch and often took them with him, was very rarely. Besides all that how is it you can just assume irresponsibility was the cause. Everyone has their own way of raising dogs. I have mine and you have yours. And I dont think it is yours to tell me how to raise mine.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by rbrettctd
I know what I am doing..
You obviously don't.

.we happen to deal with dogs different here on ranches than in cities
A dog is a dog regardless of whether you live in a city or not. I'm not sure what you mean by that statement, but it's irrevelant to what we're talking about here. I live NEAR a city, but not in the city. The house I live is quite open and guess what? No fence. Why? Because my dog is properly trained and won't leave the property without my permission, period. I'm sick of dog owners making excuses as to why their dog got out, or got killed, or bit someone etc. They always find a way to blame the dog, or someone else.

...fences are more restrictive, not to mention my dog could clear a 6' fence, than anything else. They were only chained when we had to leave, which since my dad works on the ranch and often took them with him, was very rarely.
So you're going to sit here and tell me that a chain is less restrictive than a fence? Tell you what. Chain yourself up for a day and see how you like it. On top of that, go into a fenced in area for a day and then compare the two. Which would you rather be in? If your dog can clear a 6 foot fence, then guess what? As an owner, it's your responsibility to build one taller, or do something about it that is also humane to the dog. If that means building a fence higher, then so be it. If that means that you need to give the dog to someone who can more properly care for the dog, then so be it.

Besides all that how is it you can just assume irresponsibility was the cause. Everyone has their own way of raising dogs. I have mine and you have yours. And I dont think it is yours to tell me how to raise mine.
I don't assume anything. I go by the information that you posted, and nothing else. Everyone does have their own way of raising dogs, and about half or more than half of the owners out there have no right to own a dog by the way they're raised. I'm not saying that you are a bad owner. I'm saying that you should consider the conditions that the dog will live before getting another one. Obviously there is something wrong if the dog ran away. It's only logical, don't you think? Don't blame the dog for the way it was kept. There is a REASON dogs break from chains. It's the same reason that PEOPLE escape from prisons.

I'm not insulting you. I just call it like I see it. If you don't like it, then too bad. You may not take kindly to certain things. Well, I also don't take kindly to dog owners keeping pets that they have no business keeping.

If you're going to get one, then do it right. At LEAST get it a kennel, and definitely take it to training so it won't run away. If you insist on using chains to keep your dog, then I feel sorry for your dog.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered

i vote for a border collie. they arnt TO big and they are very smart.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have 2 dogs, a mixed blue healer/some other taller dog and a border collie. They are both great dogs. Bo (the mix) we got from the shelter and proved his worth in 2 weeks after we got him. The cows (just 2) got out and, with out training, helped us round them up. He has chased the neighbors dog all the way back to its house, about 1/2 mile away. Chase (collie) is small and protective. He with Bo will help round up the goats and put them where they belong.

Jack, I live on a 13 acre farm. We have our dogs loose. If we took the time to unchain them when the animals bust through a fence, we could have a dead animal AND a lawsuit when a semi happen to be coming at that point. The dogs give us ample warning and mos of the time have them where they belong or away from the road. We live on a county road, a main drag between 2 highways. Lots of traffic.

rbrettctd, training will help a little. I hope you get a pup soon. A pup will be easier to train and you should be able to give him basic commands and with time and treats and a little discipline, should be a great dog.

BTW, these dogs live with 13 people. 10 kids under 18. Plus we have people come on a regular basis. Chase will not get close to them unless told so, and only after a lot of barking. Bo will lick them to death.

Jon
Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
The best advice I can give you is avoid American bred Shepherds. Jonah comes directly from German lines and is very healthy and strong, including his hips. Sometimes you can easily tell by the ridiculously insane angle of their backside. If you see one like that, run like the wind. They are most likely American bred and you might have problems with them. GSD's weren't meant to be like that, period. Jonah has a straight back, and his hips have never given him issues, and with the way I work him, that's a good thing. He doesn't just sit around, that's for sure.

Good luck with it.
Thanks Jack. Katie (my aunt and uncle's dog) has a straight back and her hips are perfect. I'll have to keep my eye's open.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

I 3'nd (or whatever you call it) the shelter thing. All three of mine are rescues including my latest at five years old and 130 pounds (Abby). She was chained up all the time and kept breaking the chain and her collars. All she wanted was attention and the people got rid of her. Thank goodness my mother just happened to be going by the SPCA the day they were bringing her in to be put down. She was raised around six young kids so she has no agression towards people at all, even strangers. They all three wear electronic collars and NEVER wear a chain, I hate that. They are so used to the fence line that we can let them out and they won't cross the line even with no collar on. In fact. lightning took out the fence for about three months before I realized it and they never went across. They are so use to where the fence is, I have to put them in the car, drive across the fence, and then get them out to go walking around town. I got into an arguement with a woman in 711 one day when we were talking about animal control. She said about how inhumane those electric collars were. I asked her where her dog was and she looked down and said he got away and got hit by a car last week. That was the end of that conversation.
Jersey Girl was born under an old car and God ony knows what would have happened to her had my son not came along and found her and brought her home. Angel was raised by someone that should have been on a chain and not allowed to say the word animal, let alone own one. I would not trade the world for any of them.
SO, back to the bottom line, go to the pound and give a dog a home is my vote.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=19433

Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Chaikwa has a 10 week or so Black Lab pup he is looking for a home for.....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:39 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
You couldn't pry that dog from Mike's (asst to the janitor) cold, dead hands...
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
If you're going to get one, then do it right. At LEAST get it a kennel, and definitely take it to training so it won't run away. If you insist on using chains to keep your dog, then I feel sorry for your dog.

I am new to DTR over the last year, and do not know anyone really, but I had to respond to this post. Jack makes good points for a potential dog owner wanting a companion. Not sure what the original poster was wanting, but there are ways of handling dogs that are the direct opposite of what Jack recommends. My dogs are on chains, they are trained to hunt hogs and find the occasional cow. WORKING dogs. If they are loose, they know they have a job to do. That is the difference between a working dog and Jack's method. Agree or disagree on the theory, but Jack's dogs do what he wants, and my do what I want. Both work, but with different results. My dogs are just as happy knowing they did what I want by baying a hog or finding a cow as Jacks staying at home and not running away.

No disrespect to anyone, and I agree with most everything on this thread, but wanted to point out dogs can be handled positively in different ways, it all depends on the results the owners is looking for.

Oh, and I appreciate the poster commenting on Catahoulas. That is what all of my dogs are.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
I DON'T THINK SO!

Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
If they are loose, they know they have a job to do.
There's the key right there; they're doing a job, not just running loose, or turned loose until they find something to do. The bottom line is, you are in control of them.

chaikwa.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Originally Posted by Redleg
You couldn't pry that dog from Mike's (asst to the janitor) cold, dead hands...
Wasnt refering to Jake!( I am smarter than that!)... was refering to jakes sister/brother that Scott wants ME to take in.......
Old 05-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Jack is absolutely right, re-read his posts... all of them. You can apply this to any of the herding or working dogs. All these dogs need some good training. The most important training is for yourself. Learn how to train the dog first before you get the dog.

These dogs don't do things YOU want naturally. They don't speak English or German, they speak dog...you need to be bi-lingual, learn Dog.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:13 AM

I prefer my German Shepherd but we also have a Great Dane that is a Humane center dog and a small black lab that is also a humane center dog. I can't even pronounce my Shepherd's papered name so we call her Dixie.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:49 AM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
I am new to DTR over the last year, and do not know anyone really, but I had to respond to this post. Jack makes good points for a potential dog owner wanting a companion. Not sure what the original poster was wanting, but there are ways of handling dogs that are the direct opposite of what Jack recommends. My dogs are on chains, they are trained to hunt hogs and find the occasional cow. WORKING dogs. If they are loose, they know they have a job to do. That is the difference between a working dog and Jack's method. Agree or disagree on the theory, but Jack's dogs do what he wants, and my do what I want. Both work, but with different results. My dogs are just as happy knowing they did what I want by baying a hog or finding a cow as Jacks staying at home and not running away.

No disrespect to anyone, and I agree with most everything on this thread, but wanted to point out dogs can be handled positively in different ways, it all depends on the results the owners is looking for.

Oh, and I appreciate the poster commenting on Catahoulas. That is what all of my dogs are.
I disagree with you about 1000%, respectfully of course.

You might want to check to see what my dog does. He's a working dog through and through. He has put in more hours than a lot of people work during the week.

Quick Reply: What kind of dog to get...