Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What kind of dog to get...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:21 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrettctd
Im looking for a new pup. My dogs ran off a few months ago. I need a smart one. Easy to train, medium size, and definitely good with kids-I have a month old niece that is my world. What kind of dogs fit this? Ive pretty much narrowed it down to getting australian shepherd, weve had a couple of these-nice dogs, a lab-like my last one, but chocolate this time, and a boxer. found a nice looking boxer on craigslist, 8wk old, really cool looking, for $150 or best offer. I need a male for sure. Any suggestions and what to look for pricewise? Thanks.
What else is there other than German Shepherds?

Just kidding. I would either go with GSD or Border Collie. Two smartest breeds out there. Border Collies are a bit smaller than GSD and just as easy to train. The only thing is that with either breed, when training them, you need to make sure they know who is Alpha.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
What else is there other than German Shepherds?

Just kidding. I would either go with GSD or Border Collie. Two smartest breeds out there. Border Collies are a bit smaller than GSD and just as easy to train. The only thing is that with either breed, when training them, you need to make sure they know who is Alpha.
It seems like it's really hard to find German Shepards that don't have or are going to have alot of health problems. My aunt and uncle found one and they've had her for about 12 years. She's got mild arthritis but she gets around really good most of the time and when she's hurting they've got medication for her. She's probably one of the most well mannered and protective dogs I've ever seen. If I could find a reputable breeder that had good healthy Shepards, I'd be all over that like a dog on a bone. (pun intended ) Know of anyone?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd get a Boxer. My mom got me one when I was 8 years old and that dog pretty much raised me. Very protective of me and my brother but not over protective. Let's just say, she would check you out before you got close to us. Right now we have Mastiffs but they are huge and not what you're looking for. When the time comes for another dog, I will be going back to a Boxer.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:04 AM

Another vote for a Boxer! This is my 2nd and there awesome dogs. I'm also a Coonhound lover, but they require lots of attention and are difficult to train! Basset's are great family dogs, but again, training can be difficult. Springer spaniels are awesome family dogs as well.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I get another dog, it'll be the runt from a toy poodle litter. My neighbor had a tiny one. She could wash it in the sink, it would bark like crazy if the boogerman came around (and my neighbor would get her gun) and it left little rat type turds...no big stinky loads.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 AM

I have to say Boxer for you. Just make sure you get it from a reputable breeder. Boxers are pertty easy to maintain. Just a light brushing. They do leave short hairs all over. No big deal. They also like "wet kisses" get used to it. haha

Personally I like German Shepherds like Jack. Todays working lines are very good and many so called health problems have gone away. I just visited a training club and all 20 Shepherds were pictures of health and energy.

woof woof

Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Generally, Boxers are way to hi strung. Aussies are very loyal and easy to train generally. I have one rule, NO boxers and NO beagles.
I'd maybe get a mix(mutt) less genetic problems, check with rescue groups for litters of pups, better to start of young with the training and bonding.
We have four kids: German wire hair pointer, Jack russell mix, two Catahoulas.
Some of you in the south will appreciate the Catahoulas.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:59 AM

I dont have kids, but all of my neighbors do. I have to say that my Austrailian CATTLE Dog is the best dog ever with kids. They come down to my house to see if Ralph can come out and play all the time. I have one little boy whos parents wont let him go in the back yard with their lab alone but has no problem with him coming down here and throwing a frisbee for Ralph. The cattle dog is smart, VERY easy to train, and will NOT let anything happen to your kids. I have never been around one that tried to herd kids like I hear about them sometimes wanting to do. All I know is that the neighbor hood kids will play with Ralph for hours running and throwing and all that good stuff and he would never dream of hruting one of them. One of them fell down one time by accident, no big deal, and I thought Ralph was gonna go crazy. He laid down beside the little fella and just started to whine and lick him wanting him to get up. It was funny.

Sounds like everyone likes the Boxers and I must say every boxer I have been around has been a great dog to. Its all your choice. Just dont rule out a cattle doge. I promise there aint another dog out there that will protect them babies like one will or protect your property like they will.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:14 PM
DTR Founder

Im looking for a new pup. My dogs ran off a few months ago. I need a smart one. Easy to train, medium size, and definitely good with kids-I have a month old niece that is my world. What kind of dogs fit this? Ive pretty much narrowed it down to getting australian shepherd, weve had a couple of these-nice dogs, a lab-like my last one, but chocolate this time, and a boxer. found a nice looking boxer on craigslist, 8wk old, really cool looking, for $150 or best offer. I need a male for sure. Any suggestions and what to look for pricewise? Thanks.
hmmm, you know what? The more I think about this the more I wonder, are you really responsible enough to get another dog? That was pointed out to me by another member and the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe if you're just going to let them get out and run off, then maybe you should consider a goldfish or something.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 PM

Id love a blue healer, but like I said I have a neice taht is the world to me. Im leaning heavily towards boxer or collie. And it will be from the shelter. I got on last night, and found many dogs that I like. I guess ill take a trip up there friday and let the right dog pick me out, as thats how it usually works.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 PM

hmmm, you know what? The more I think about this the more I wonder, are you really responsible enough to get another dog? That was pointed out to me by another member and the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe if you're just going to let them get out and run off, then maybe you should consider a goldfish or something.
You dont understand this fully. I live on a 3000 acre ranch. They used to stick around the house, til oil field moved in. There are now many trucking and oilfield businesses around. They began feeding our dogs and we couldnt keep them at the house. So we chained them up, alternating them so one was always free. Well the younger one broke his chain and got away. I do not take kindly to being called irresponsible. I had my dog for 7 years with no problems until these companies moved in. My next dog will be on a radio corrective system. Therefore do NOT tell me not to get another dog...everyone has had a dog run away at some point, right?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Good point Jack.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:54 PM

I've had two dogs that never ran away from me as far as I can remember from being a kid.

The first dog was a Irish Setter. I was young when I remember this dog, about 3 or 4. His name was Smokey, I loved the dog. Great dog, I loved the color of his fur. I remember when he stood outside pointed in the "Arrow" position for about 45mins until my uncle walked over and found he cornerd a rattle snake.
It just so happend to be a 36" rattle snake it was as thick as a pop can, nuts!

But this is my current dog in the pictures, we picked him up when I was about 11 or so. I think he has part Australian Cattle dog in him, but I feel he is mixed up with acouple differnt breeds, but must of all he has Australian Cattle dog in him.
He is a great dog, at first when we got him, he was really engergetic, would always wanna jump on you, and play around.
But now he listins very well, he is a calm, cool collected dog. He is real gentled around my niece (Who is 2) and all other little kids.
The only down side about him is the way he sheds, he sheds an ungodly amount of hair.
Oh, and the fact that he left himself get to close to a skunk, TWICE

Our neighbor fellow has a Boxer, hes just a pup yet, but the guy dropped $1,200 on him. The guy trained dogs in WWII to detect bombs, and stuff like that, so needless to say his dog is pretty inteligent and nice.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:57 PM
DTR Founder

You dont understand this fully. I live on a 3000 acre ranch. They used to stick around the house, til oil field moved in. There are now many trucking and oilfield businesses around. They began feeding our dogs and we couldnt keep them at the house. So we chained them up, alternating them so one was always free. Well the younger one broke his chain and got away. I do not take kindly to being called irresponsible. I had my dog for 7 years with no problems until these companies moved in. My next dog will be on a radio corrective system. Therefore do NOT tell me not to get another dog...everyone has had a dog run away at some point, right?
I didn't tell you not to get another dog. I merely pointed out something that I thought was unusual. As for chaining them up, that is about the worst thing you can do for a dog, especially if you're leaving the other one free to roam. No wonder why the dog broke the chain. Don't blame the companies. Maybe you should have built a fence at that point. ...and no, not everyone has a dog that runs away because those who properly keep their dog in a run or fenced area, train them properly and take good care of them don't have those issues. So no, I don't by it. On top of that, unless you REALLY know what you're doing with a shock collar, they can be more detrimental then helpful. Radio fences don't always work, especially with certain breeds. All I'm saying is really do your research and think about what you're getting yourself into before you go out and get another dog. Make sure you have the resources and the time to properly train and care for the dog. I'm not TELLING you to do anything. Merely suggesting. Otherwise, it's not fair for the dog, or the person you're getting the dog for. In the end, you'll just have a third dog that runs away instead of 2.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:02 PM

I had my dog since I was 12-got her when my dad was in the hospital on Christmas. I cared for that dog like no one else could. I was in no way irresponsible for her. I happened to be at college, being responsible for my grades, when they disappeared. I dont take kindly to being called irresponsible for something that happened when I am off working my own way through college...anybody else think I am irresponsible? Maybe I should count the dogs we have had before....Weve had several. 6 lived to 14+...2 puppies got run over in our driveway by other ranch workers, and these 2 got picked up on the highway after one broke a chain like I said...So please refrain from insulting me anymore

Quick Reply: What kind of dog to get...