Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What kind of dog to get...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of dog to get...

Im looking for a new pup. My dogs ran off a few months ago. I need a smart one. Easy to train, medium size, and definitely good with kids-I have a month old niece that is my world. What kind of dogs fit this? Ive pretty much narrowed it down to getting australian shepherd, weve had a couple of these-nice dogs, a lab-like my last one, but chocolate this time, and a boxer. found a nice looking boxer on craigslist, 8wk old, really cool looking, for $150 or best offer. I need a male for sure. Any suggestions and what to look for pricewise? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I had a small female Golden Retriever (60 lbs.) that was a smart, lively, friendly companion for 14 years and just had to have her put down. I could never ask for a better dog around kids, and would never hesitate to do it over again.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:47 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Medium size, smart, strong good looking, very very good with kids............Get a Boxer.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't get the Cow dog. They need lots of exercise. I agree with the Golden Ret. For a small dog I like the ugly Boston Terrier.I also recommend a female.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

If you have a small child around the house, the last dog you want to get is an australian shepard. It will constantly try to herd your niece, its instinct.

IMO, go to your local shelter and adopt a pup. they have purebreds as well as mix breeds. Thats what I did a few months ago. After having pure breds my whole life, I got a mutt...awsome dog and great with my kids. Theres plenty of dogs out there looking for a home, consider helping one out. After all the shots the cost was $ 80.00 out the door.

Again just my 0.02

Tom
Old 05-05-2007, 11:05 PM

I 2nd the shelter/pound. There are so many puppies there that need a good home. We got ours for $75, at 6 weeks old, already spayed with first set of shots. They had a ton of lab pups as well.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first dogs (German Shepard and Great Dane) were great dogs. I now have 5 mixed dogs that were dumpped on or near my property. They all are sweet, loyal, and are very protective of the family.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Boxers are great. I have four dogs, two boxers, a black lab and a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I heard from a number of people, "once you have a boxer, you'll always have a boxer". It's true, they meet all of your qualifications. We just added "Luna" five weeks ago, she is great!
Attached Thumbnails What kind of dog to get...-luna-boo-4-29-07.jpg  
Old 05-06-2007, 12:08 AM

i brought home about a year ago a mini german schnouzer (i may be german but that doesn't mean i can spell schnouzer) wish it was alittle larger ours was the runt. dog is very smart and needs attention . i vote no on the cow dogs brother has a half dozen on his farm they cannot turn off the herding thing.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One word, Doberman.

Best dogs that I've ever had!! Kids included!!

Train them right and no one will play with them!!

Rick
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by nirion
I 2nd the shelter/pound. There are so many puppies there that need a good home. We got ours for $75, at 6 weeks old, already spayed with first set of shots. They had a ton of lab pups as well.

No doubt. contact your local shelter/ pound GAS-CHAMBER and save one you'l feel great once you've saved one from a certan death. there are plenty to choose from (u wont beleve what winds up there) My wife and i save over 100 dogs per year and find good homes (like yours) for them. If your looking for a certan dog drop me a line. O dont forget puppys are cute but a full grown dog is exactly what it is. no guess work. the mixes seem to be helthier and sweeter dogs.
TOMMY
Old 05-06-2007, 12:54 AM

Another vote for Boxer. Our current boxer is my 2nd and a great dog. He lets my 3-yr old son do just about whatever he wants to him. We also have a Golden Retriever and she's about as good a dog as you can get. Both make fantastic family dogs, and the Boxer will double as a good watch dog.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:35 AM

I wanted to add my support for shelter or rescue dogs. Three of my four are from rescue groups!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MSquare
I wanted to add my support for shelter or rescue dogs. Three of my four are from rescue groups!
Rescue groups are filled with great folks wanting to stem the tide of neglected dogs. Our family has adopted several also, all with good success.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 AM

I love all dogs, so what you do is borrow a PSD from the Ford dealer. Take the dogs out one by one to "test drive" them. Whichever one pees on the tire of the ford is the one you want!! May not be entirely true, but at least you know the dog will have taste!

Quick Reply: What kind of dog to get...