Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What does everyone think about Texas and the Southwest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megaboom
able to go to the mountains,desert, hills, country, and beach in the same state texas
Where are these mountains? IMHBAO mountains must have snow on them all year to be mountains, other wise they are foothills.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Where are these mountains? IMHBAO mountains must have snow on them all year to be mountains, other wise they are foothills.

sorry we dont have the beautiful snowy mountains of alaska but we do have the davis mountains in west texas......i actually might be going to alaska in the near future depending on the word from work apparently we might be able to go drill holes in it after all
Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 AM

moun·tain -
1 a: a landmass that projects conspicuously above its surroundings and is higher than a hill b: an elongated ridge
2 a: a great mass b: a vast number or quantity

i dont see anything about snow caps there????? maybe the dictionary is wrong
Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 AM

sorry we dont have the beautiful snowy mountains of alaska but we do have the davis mountains in west texas......i actually might be going to alaska in the near future depending on the word from work apparently we might be able to go drill holes in it after all
You do know that work on the Slope is winter work...
Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 AM

Anybody from Houston ????? There's a job lead there that I want to look into but have never been there.

Please PM me so we don't side-track the thread .

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 AM

Lived in Houston for the better part of my life before moving up here about 3 years ago.

Pretty fair amount of "culture" to be found downtown. Nice public library system.

A toy train that goes sort of between the football stadium on the south side to the ballpark on the north side.

Gets positively steamy for several months of "summer". No real fall or spring and a rainy season for "winter".

An overworked underappreciated Police Department.

Almost anything your heart desires to eat or purchase.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Lived in Houston for the better part of my life before moving up here about 3 years ago.

Pretty fair amount of "culture" to be found downtown. Nice public library system.

A toy train that goes sort of between the football stadium on the south side to the ballpark on the north side.

Gets positively steamy for several months of "summer". No real fall or spring and a rainy season for "winter".

An overworked underappreciated Police Department.

Almost anything your heart desires to eat or purchase.
But the traffic is horrible pretty much anytime of the day!!
I have a home in Galveston that I seldom see because I despise the drive through Houston. The Hardy toll road has made it a little better but it still sux.
Heck the drive down 45 from DFW to Houston is becoming a pain.
You've got 55 mph morons cruising the left lane, other idiots who drive right next to a car in the right lane and flat refuse to move to the right when cars are stacking up behind them, and then there's the people who were driving 10 mph slower than anyone else until you pass them, who then decide to speed up to your speed and either drive right beside you, or just off of you left rear bumper or get right up on your rear. You can slow down speed up, it doesn't matter these nuts will hang with you all day sometimes. I35 between Dallas and Austin is even worse!!
It's very frustrating to say the least. I don't deal well with discourteous drivers.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
, able to go to the mountains,desert, hills, country, and beach in the same state texas, ...
Lived in Texas for a short time, have been all around Texas, there are no mountains in Texas... and snow has nothing to do with it...

What amounts to mountains in Texas are smaller than the foothills of the Sierras in California and the Rockies of Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana.

If you live in Sacramento, California, this time of year you can drive one and half hours up the road east and go skiing in the Sierras in the morning, and drive west a little ways and enjoy 70* weather at the ocean in the afternoon. And on the way back on the same highway, stop at any number of mircobreweries or even the Budwieser brewery, or stop in the Napa valley for world class wine if that is your speed...

Now this is not a CA vs TX thing... quite frankly the politics here are nearly the worst (sorry, but I think New york and Massachusetts and DC are worse)
Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 AM

Just move to NM. It's the best.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I might be making a career move to the Southwest. There are positions available in Arizona, California, Texas, and New Mexico. Hint Hint it's a job really close to the borders. I was thinking of doing Law Enforcement locally until this fell in my lap as an option. What do you think a farm/country boy from Ohio would like or dislike about these areas. I ask since I havent been many places outside of Ohio, MI, PA, and some of New England.

I like the idea of no subzero winters, although I dont know if I want to live in the desert. I figured out of the 4 Texas would be the most 'country/farm' style of them. Enlighten me.

-Dustin-
For me it would be Texas 1st, N. Mexico 2nd, with Ohio, MI, PA, and some of New England tied for 10th. Hawaii would come in 49th; closely followed by Alaska
Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Well yeah. It goes without saying TRAFFIC.

Houston is all spread out and it hurts.

Still, could be worse.

And luckily I live up 59N and it is without ANY doubt the easiest Freeway in the Houston area. And the Beltway 8 is not a too shabby way to get around town.

Edit: So VERY sorry but I'm one of those 55-60 MPH guys but I'd NEVER speed up to keep you from moving over but will speed up to pass someone even SLOWER.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I think I can... I think...

Edit: So VERY sorry but I'm one of those 55-60 MPH guys but I'd NEVER speed up to keep you from moving over but will speed up to pass someone even SLOWER.
But do you cruise the left lane while doing so?
That's what I have a problem with.
There are signs all over the state that either says, "Left Lane For Passing Only" or "Slower Traffic keep right"

Our local news crew did a piece a few yrs back with a state trooper. They asked him point blank if it was legal to drive the left lane on our highways and interstates. The officer said it is illegal to use that lane as a cruising lane. The problem for the police is figuring out who's cruising and who is just passing slowly.
Kuddos for speeding up to get around slower folks thus allowing other traffic to get around!!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're driving 55-60 in a 70 mph zone then it's very fitting that you have named yourself Dangerous Dave. That's a very good way to cause accidents.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
There are signs all over the state that either says, "Left Lane For Passing Only" or "Slower Traffic keep right"

Maybe they don't speak/read english....J/K...I haven't driven LongHaul for 10 yrs now, can't imagine what its like down there now...I drove to Delta yesterday, and had to go 8 miles before I saw a vehicle. Town was bustking at noon with about 8 cars running around. It will pick up this summer.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 AM

Well let me start by breaking it to you gentle like. If you are going to join the PATROL you are going to like it no matter where they send you. On the bright side of things if you want to work and have fun while you are at it go to AZ. Or NM. But don’t quote me on that I’m just one of many in THE GREEN MACHINE! Good Luck.

New Mexico.

Quick Reply: What does everyone think about Texas and the Southwest?