Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What does every one do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 12:29 PM
RJS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an interesting thread.
My name is Bob. I'm retired and have lived just outside Buffalo, WY for the last 6 years. Before that, I lived in Lexington, Nebraska where I was in the cattle business for 30 years. We fed cattle and had a ranch. I sold out when things were good and spent time building my experimental airplane and hiring out to help other's build their airplanes (riveted aluminum)
Since moving to Buffalo, I've done part time jobs: rangleland weed spraying on ATV's and humping a back pack sprayer for 10 hours every day. One summer of that was enough for this 56 year old. I check irrigation water in the summer twice a week up in the Bighorns and generally take my fly rod along and do a little fishing. I do quite a bit of fly fishing and tying, reading, spend time surfing the net and trade stocks and commodities. I'm also in the process of trying to get back in shape so I can backpack in the Bighorns. That was a lot easier to do 20 years ago.
My 2003 Dodge is my first diesel and first dodge pickup and I'm loving every minute.

Bob
Old 01-18-2004, 08:25 AM

Well, it looks like just about everybody has posted but me.
Names Willie. I am an engineering tech for a major manufacturer. We produce parts (oil pumps, timing sets, transmissions, etc.) for the automotive manufacturers worldwide. I work in the design and durability end of this group. I love my job. Alot of insight on how well automotive parts are built.
I try to visit his site daily, although I don't post much. It's very informative. I feel as if I know alot of you just from reading what you have to say everyday.
Thanks for all of the great information.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:08 PM

Major in the USAF, currently at Osan AB, Republic of Korea. By trade, I have had the best job one could ask for the last 20 years. I have had the honor of serving by flying the B-52G, B-1B and the E-4B. Doon I will go back to the E-4B at Offutt AFB, Nebraska.

SPIKE
Old 01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
VPI

I live in Chattanooga TN. I have a B.S. in Environmental Science. No I am not a tree hugger. I have two jobs I work for a local municipality in the waste water department. I take care of and find all the leaks in the system. For my second job I run/own a company that video's sewer lines Little robotic tractor with a camera and lights runs down through the sewer and finds what ever you need to know about that line. I am married for just over a year now.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:26 AM

VPI--I too am an Environmental Scientist. It is amazing how people look at you as though you are a tree hugger when you tell them you work in the environmental field. I work for a consulting firm doing remediaiton jobs (usually for a large energy company). I fight with eco people all day long; a school of minnow's and 4 shrew's are costing my client a few houndred thousand dollars in research and investigations. This project could be completed and the environment restored in a 2 months if it werent for the shrews.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 AM

Hi all, my name is Dave, I'm 37, live in Maine. I have done way too many jobs to list, from Massage Therapist to bouncer. In my current life I am a network administrator by day and teach martial arts at night. Married to a totaly insane Mexican woman (The only one nuts enough to live in Maine, kids are Chris(17), Cassie (15), Arianna(13) Evan (8) and Lucas (5). What can I say......we don't have cable........I belive in everything in moderation..........including moderation!!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:12 PM

I'm Jeff. Texan. 27. Married, no kids. Did my time in Navy, finished as EM2(SS) - for those of you who don't know - fast attack sub nuke electrician. Loved it, glad to be done. Currently am a CRO for a brand new combined cycle electric power plant. Interesting work. I stay busy. Can't wait to find a way to get out of Pa back to God's country. Want to raise kids where they have room to grow and breathe. Trying to find something I can start my own business doing, that I will enjoy. Just don't have the cash to put up for a power plant! Had a 7.3 before the CTD, I love the engine, but Dodge could build a better truck to put around it. Love the Lord, love the USA, love Texas, and lucky enough to love my job.

God bless America!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:56 PM

Hi, my name is Baron, and I'm a diesel-holic. I am 32, married for 8 years, with a VERY special 3 month old daughter ( Thanks to my little brother and his wife). I live in central Florida, far enough away from Orlando to be enjoyable. My Full time job is as a heavy equipment mechanic for one of the local theme parks, and trying to re-start an ON-SITE repair business I had in South Fl., several years ago. When I am not working, I am a volunteer firefighter for lake county. For fun I used to restore and build up my '77 Dodge Monaco. But now, my energy has shifted to my Dodge CTD when the finances and time allow. We just purchased 6 1/4 acres just outside of a 'one caution light' town, so the finances are going towards the fencing for our rotty, and 2 cockers, and for MY garage. I convinced the wife that she could have the 2 car garage, if I could have a 30x60 garage . She agreed.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:27 PM

My name is Jon. I currently reside in El Cajon, CA, which is near San Diego. Currently I am an E-6 in the US Navy. I was trained to be an Engineman. First duty station was in Ingleside, TX on a Mine Countermeasures Ship Rotational Crew. Second was in Bremerton, WA on the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70). Currently, I install lagging insulation on submarines at the Shore Intermediate Maintenace Activity in Point Loma. I have been in for almost 6 years and I have 2.5 months left until I get out. A lot of people think I'm crazy for doing so, considering how well I've done. I've just got other things I want to do and I really miss going elk hunting (I haven't gone since I joined). Prior to the Navy, I grew up on a family farm (1200 acres with almost 1000 in alfalfa production) in central/eastern Oregon. I would love to be going back to the ranch but divorces have a way of screwing up everything. This summer, I will be moving to Worland, WY and becoming a partner with my brother and his father-in-law at a diesel shop. I'm really excited about the opportunity. My dream is to farm, though, and I hope to do so again. Growing up on the farm helped me in so many ways that I hope to give my future children the opportunities that I have been granted. I love fishing, hunting, everthing about farming, semis, diesel engines, country music (not the current stuff except for a few) and working.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:39 PM

my name is tony, i live in syracuse kansas i work for burlinton northern santa fe railroad i am a signalmen i deal with crossings and signals and a lot of electricity.i love camping and going on vacation with my family.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:54 PM

My Name is Larry, Iam 41, I run an equipment rental store in Cedar City, Utah. Small Town 150 miles north of Las Vegas Nevada. I am married to a wonderful woman, 21 years this June. I have a 21 year old daughter, 20 year old daughter & a 14 year old son. 2 Granddaughters (4 & 2 ) Love to hunt & fish. Also looking to add a new hobbie of riding Harley's (Soon as I can afford to buy one) Have only had my CDT for about 1 month & I can not stop grinning
Old 02-20-2004, 10:38 PM

Well there are a lot of men on this site--I feel a little outnumbered, I suppose that is not much of a suprise. I am a vet (as in veterinarian) and I have 2 cats and a horse, one husband and daughter. I have my CTD to haul horses. I used to live in texas as a kid but really I am Canadian. My age is a secret. I went to university in Saskatoon Saskatchewan and now I live in Ontario. I co-own my own small animal clinic. For fun I used to like to gallop my horses over big solid jumps, I'm trying to work my way back to this past-time with my new horse. For now we are doing dresssage and jumping over jumps that come down when you hit them. For some strange reason I spend more time on this site than the horse chat forums, can't really explain why. Really I don't have much time at all to spend on the computer. I really love my new truck, this is my first diesel truck. My husband has a TDI VW Jetta that he claims I made him buy, not really a bad car just some VW issues. He really wants a sports car or something with the 'top down'. He claims he does not like trucks. I have to do my own maintenance and hauling stuff, he's not really involved. I think I work too much at my job and would like more time off. I might be a tree hugger (really I am). I secretly would like a motorcycle some day--a hog.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:29 PM

I work for Pacific Gas And Electric as an Armed Nuculear Security Officer. I am trained to be a police officer, but opted for my current job because I like to be overpaid and under worked and I dont have to do any paper work either. I often get to work on my pickup while on the job, but its a little hard to do when I have all of my duty gear on. I live in Eureka CA where my grandparents have a 4500 acre working cattle ranch with alot of trees. I also help them out on my days off weither that is helping work the cows or logging. Pulled out some old groath redwood this year. I am single and have a cat and a miniture Pincher (Spikey). I am 23 and have had a cummins since I was 18.

Stomp
Old 02-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Chapter President

After reading this thread for a couple of days I'll put mine in too.

My name is Tom, for a living I am a bearing salesman. I travel to industrial sites and help people find items that most never knew excisted. I have seen things that people never see. To me every day is a field trip, I have seen the way your loaf of bread makes it to the local store, I've seen the way your newspaper gets printed. I HATE the salesman title Like to think of myself as someone there to help out. I have had to get people out of bed in Germany just to put parts on a plane so we can have milk.

My wife gave birth to our first child on Nov 1st 03, so that has become my new priority!

I fight with my emotions all day long. Should I be more excited to take my daughter out camping for the first time or to tow that 6000 # trailer?

We'll know here soon enough.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:34 AM

Well I guess it's time for an update. Absolutely loved the auto parts business, but with the depressed ag industry, money got just too tight so we closed the door. Always remember that if you've got a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life.
I'm 47 years old chronologically, older in thought younger in deed.

Now I drive truck. Must do something right 'cause I started with this outfit in Sept and when the new trucks came in, I got moved January 17 to a 2004 KW T-800 with a 475hp 1800ft/lb C-15 cat (sorry). OOOOOHHHH YEEAAAHHH. About 20 other guys aren't real happy right now, but this one is.

I'll tell you all a little more about us. Still madly in love with the girl I met at University of Winnipeg back in 1979. Married to her since July of 83. Two kids 16 (daughtert) and 13 (son) one of each, we quit because now we had all the kinds

We waterski, fish, snowmobile (Arctic Cats), ski, camp (wife says pulling 27 foot rolling house isn't camping) and I hve my private pilot license. It's tough to go that 100yds to the lake, but we do it anyway

I ride a Norton Commando for stress relief, but I don't have much stress really, so sometimes I just ride it anyway.

I am Deputy Chief of our local FD and have been a volunteer since May of 84. Lions Club member since 82. Was the public address system guy for our AAA midget hockey, senior hockey and any minor hockey team tournament who asked since I was 14. Have been told I should do it for a living, but pay isn't.

All in all I've got a great life except that after 22 years of being home with the girl I love every night, now I am spending far too much time away from home. But it pays the bills. So ya do what ya gotta. (end of whine)

Hope to meet some of the other members on the road. Big white Kenworth with blue front fenders and Dallas Transport on the door unit 126. Always decks, flat, step and double drop. We haul a LOT of Caterpillar equipment. All of Canada and US* (*except Hawaii )