Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: What do you heat your home with?
Electricity
17.91%
Natural Gas
33.46%
Heating Oil
7.48%
Wood
14.37%
Pellet's
3.54%
Natural hot water/ geothermal
1.57%
Solar (electric)
0%
Solar (water)
0%
Coal
0.98%
Wood boiler
1.57%
Wind electric
0%
Hydro electric
0.39%
Waste oil boiler
0.39%
Corn
1.38%
Other (please explain)
1.77%
More than one, (explain)
7.87%
Propane
7.28%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

What do you use to heat your home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo oil stove heated house

Here in North Pole we use this toyo heater for the main heat source,
we have a forced air oil heater in the basment for back up when it gets down to -40 below zero if needed (havent used it yet this year) and its been -40 a couple times already.

I also have a waste oil heater that I made in the Garage that If I keep the garage really clean I can pump in the heat from there into the house and there is No smell, so the wife stays happy.. I can keep the house with the toyo at a steady 68* or pretty much any setting I want.so its comfy..

you guys complaining about your Oil heating bill.. its nothing to have more than a $1,000 heating bill here in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails What do you use to heat your home?-toyo-heater.gif  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:27 AM

We have a newer home (1yr) with a heat pump. They are ok untill it gets really cold then they suck butt. Im looking into a corn/wood pellet stove to put in the basement and tie it into the existing ductwork as aux heat.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:17 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgemnLeavem

you guys complaining about your Oil heating bill.. its nothing to have more than a $1,000 heating bill here in the winter.
Agreed.

Where's the option of heating with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by DodgemnLeavem
Here in North Pole we use this toyo heater for the main heat source,
we have a forced air oil heater in the basment for back up when it gets down to -40 below zero if needed (havent used it yet this year) and its been -40 a couple times already.

I also have a waste oil heater that I made in the Garage that If I keep the garage really clean I can pump in the heat from there into the house and there is No smell, so the wife stays happy.. I can keep the house with the toyo at a steady 68* or pretty much any setting I want.so its comfy..

How many gallons a day do you go through on the Toyo, and how many sq. ft are you heating? Is that an L-56 or ???

I have been doing some research. I am really ready to buy an auxilary or whole house heater. Our Trane XR80 is 80% efficient and our heating vents are on the ceiling (shared with A/C, so A/C works great, but the heat just sits on the ceiling).

The Toyo heaters look great ,but Kero here is $4-5/gallon (WTH!!!). How much do you guys pay for kero? If I am doing the math correctly, 1 gallon of Kero is about 135,000 BTU for $4, where-as a therm (100,000 BTU) worth of natural gas here is only $1.45. To even these out 135,000 BTU worth of gas is about $2, vs. $4 for kero. Even with the efficiency differences (say 80% vs 90% to be extreme), for us the gas wins. Rinnai makes some gas direct vented heaters which I am thinking about. It looks like it's going to be a $2000 investment vs. the Toyo's, more like $1000... which is a big difference. So I am not sure where to go from here... basically want to do 3 things A) make my wife happy, B) make our basement usable and C) save some money, but it will take a while for a $2K investment to pay off
Old 12-27-2007, 08:23 AM

We burn coal.
Got two key-stokers, one for the house, one for the garage.
And then down @ the shop we got a harmen stokin the heat there!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 AM

I use natural gas for my main heater...but when it gets really cold, I fire up the fireplace insert and it heats my house without ever turning on the gas heater.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Just put in a Heat Pump with a Natural Gas back up. Only time the Gas comes on is if the Temp is below 30 degrees. Which it has been the last couple of nights.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Campbell
How many gallons a day do you go through on the Toyo, and how many sq. ft are you heating? Is that an L-56 or ???
I use between 1-2 gls a day, depending on the temps. Almost 900 sq, ft.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:26 AM

I have water base board heat and a boiler system burning heating oil or when that runs dry I pour in a few 5 gal. cans of kero. Kerosene is actually cheaper than heating oil and diesel.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Forced hot air with oil burner. I just changed the original 1952 Delco oil burner (general motors) with a high efficiency oil burner. But in all reality I didn’t need to I have used 75 gallons since Sept. The pellet stove keeps the house nice and warm. At 200 a ton I don’t really think I save much but I am not sending my money to the mid east. And the pellets are made here in NY and don’t use any fossil fuels to make it.

I should have stayed with a wood/coal compo stove like I hade for 12 years. Run out of free wood by a ton of coal.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM

Fuel Oil Furnace and Wood Stove to reduce the furnace from running. Electric bill here is crazy so anything to take away from electric use is a plus.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by megajoltman
Natural Gas House, gas going up 7% next year

220V electric heater Garage, electricity also going up next year
Actually gas is not going up, just the delivery charge - yeah that sucks, but your total bill isn't going up 7%.

Hope you didn't sign with one of those independent contractors.... that would really suck.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PA
got the old boiler in the basement
i know we all love diesel but man the $$$$ for it around here can just about break the bank sometimes
wish the wife would let me install a wood stove
no heat in the monster of a garage i got, too big
Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a stack of ten cords of doug fir and ponderosa pine that should last us until mid-April. Three foot logs go into a Central steam boiler, which produces hot water heat. As long as the wood is cheap to cut or purchase, I'll keep using it. Solar panels on the roof and wind gens on the upper pasture provide energy for the lights and household appliances. If I didn't have that I'd be paying thru the nose for LP. http://www.centralboiler.com/models.php
Old 12-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

I use Natural Gas, Electric, Wood and fuel oil.

Natural Gas furnace in the kitchen (wall unit), electric baseboards in the rest of the rooms, and then fuel oil and wood for the shop. I'd burn wood in teh house too but it's not setup and it's just a rental.

Quick Reply: What do you use to heat your home?