Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what do you guys think??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you guys think??

well, I am really starting to have withdrawls! I have rode bulls and bareback horses and broke horses for locals around my area since I was 14 ,Know i have gotten my share of broken bones and taken some pretty good hits, for this reason I quit when I got my head steped on 3 years ago in a bull bash in Ceder Falls, Iowa, that did me in for quite a-while,{that and my first son was born a week later and needed to settle down a little!!} but I have been thinking about getting back into it again. I am 24 soon to be 25 and granted I need to drop about 25 pounds and get back into shape I think I can do it But the things I am worried about are my 3 kids and my job If I get hurt again- Not that I should be worried about getting hurt but... I cant even watch it on tv any more or go to the rodeos and sit in the grand stands without dang near crying!! ??? Help me,, what would you do?? :P :-[
Old 03-16-2003, 11:47 AM

Re:what do you guys think??

I am going to show my age here - what does the wife/significant other think? For some reason I here Garth Brooks singing &quot;Rodeo&quot; when I read this. Or maybe it is Springsteen's &quot;Glory Days&quot;?<br><br>If the Boss says go for it then that is a big green light. However, if you are worried that you might get hurt and not be able to provide for your family then that is a sign that your heart may not be all the way in it.<br><br>To paraphrase Bill Shakespeare- &quot;'Tis better to have rode and lost than to never have rode at all.&quot; I think we all have the urge to go back in time and relive &quot;the good old days&quot; sometimes but then reality was never a consideration to us back then. Wife, family, mortgages - these things happen and they make you see the world in a whole different light. <br><br>That said, if your heart is set on it, what anybody else says ain't gonna make any difference, anyway. It's up to you to live with the pluses and the minuses whichever way you decide to go.<br><br>I wish you the best of luck, whichever way you choose to go.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:50 PM
yz

I agree with what redramnc has to say.<br>If your set on going back into Rodeo then it won't matter what we say. I have stopped racing motocross for a bit because if something happens then I won't be able to pay for my truck. And I can't lose my truck. But i still race Mo hare scrambles so i still race and have a blast but it is different kind of racing. Hell I 17 and I have broke about 12 bones. I don't know the exact number because I don't know how many ribs I broke the last time. : The last one really kinda messed me up. But it makes for good stories though and hell i impressed the Doctors. He said he never seen a wrist like that before. Yeah I take a bit of pride in some of those wounds and broken bones. <br>But i still ride motocross and will get back into it when I get my truck paid off and a few other things too. But will still race the Hare scrambles too. Motocross won't last too long though I will be buying a house a little later when I am 18.<br><br> I soooooooo know how you feel. The other day I was praticing on a motocross track. I was just flying, i was taking it to everyone on that track and no one could touch me (not trying to toot my own horn) then a small crowd grow to watch. And I really love that. Just putting on a show for everyone, there is nothing like it. Just love it.<br><br>I know how it feels to be able to want to do that but is it worth the risk to you. Right now I just can't take that risk. I don't know if what I have said has helped you any but I just wanted to share the story. Well whatever your decision Good luck and be safe. -Anthony<br>
Old 03-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, if you are set on goin back. Then no one can tell you otherwise. I have always said, when I quit riding broncs I will walk away from the whole thing. Quit watching it on TV, goin to rodeos etc for awhile. With a torn rotator cuff I have slowed down quite a bit. Was thinking of taking this season off, but I cant do it. Even with 2 jobs I am gonna find the time to hit a few. Just ease back into it and you will be fine. Them furry footed suckers sure do give ya withdrawls dont they ;D
Old 03-16-2003, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some insurance for accidental injuries that covers up to 500 per occurence. i have that from state farm for me and the 2 kids cost about 25 a month. it will help with the minor injuries. I'm 36 will be 37 tuesday and still go to at least 2 rodeos a weekend. I suggest you talk it over with the wife and see what she thinks and go from there. just remember it aint when your gonna get hurt its how bad riding the ruff stock you might want switch to roping if thats a possibility. i ride BB and been doing it of and on for 21 years now :'( and have those dam withdraw's during the winter so i know how ya feel good luck with the desicion
Old 03-16-2003, 10:47 PM

I quit when I had my last trip to the ER. doc said if I had one more good shot to the head I would be the rest of my life. It was my 6th concushion. I also seperated my shoulder*sp and did not want to pay the money to have it fixed again. I can't rember a few weeks of my life which I don't like also between college football and bulls and being a farmer I have had my fare share of battle scars.<br>DM01
Old 03-17-2003, 12:23 PM

well, she is pretty much for it. but she worries all the time soo... I might just gradually get back into it maybe 1or 2 a week and see how it goes, when I rode I rode good, but that dont always mean your not gonna get hurt!![glow=red, 2, 300]gotta work on that danged dismount!!![/glow] If it just doesnt work for me, I will go back to stickin more money into my mud truck!! Thanks for the words fellas! Who knows , maybe wisdom does come with age!! lol ;D
Old 03-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Priorities change and you will realize when it is time to give up and move on.<br>(I just hope it is not too late when you finally realize that time)