Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What are the chances?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the chances?

I was looking at my 92 key and my friends 92 key, they where very similar. So, we decided to find out if either one works in the other. We found out that my key works in his, but his key won't work in mine.
I've heard of it happening, but never figured it would happen to me.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couple years ago i was at a family get together. my cousin locked her keys in her suburban. my uncle's key would unlock it, but not start it and vice versa.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:13 AM

i keyed mine and my wife's the same, sure makes things easier, lol.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

At the shop, we have an old 91 Ford pick-up.

Something in the column went haywire; so, one of the brainstorms that work there took it on himself to take out the column to fix the problem.

Needless to say, he broke something important, causing us to have to get a replacement column at the junk-yard.

To make a long story short, this column will allow the switch to operate, without a key.

We don't even have a key.

This truck sits for days in the "steal it if it ain't nailed down" mudlick town where we live and nobody has figured it out, yet.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BearKiller

At the shop, we have an old 91 Ford pick-up.

Something in the column went haywire; so, one of the brainstorms that work there took it on himself to take out the column to fix the problem.

Needless to say, he broke something important, causing us to have to get a replacement column at the junk-yard.

To make a long story short, this column will allow the switch to operate, without a key.

We don't even have a key.

This truck sits for days in the "steal it if it ain't nailed down" mudlick town where we live and nobody has figured it out, yet.
Wow, so even in a crime-ridden neighborhood you can't give a Ford away!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by JD730
I was looking at my 92 key and my friends 92 key, they where very similar. So, we decided to find out if either one works in the other. We found out that my key works in his, but his key won't work in mine.
I've heard of it happening, but never figured it would happen to me.

sounds like your friend is going to have a tough time finding his truck when you get done with him!
Old 06-25-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by imabnormal
sounds like your friend is going to have a tough time finding his truck when you get done with him!
Shhhh!, don't tell him that. At least I won't have to worry about having to move it if its in the way.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The tow vehicles we used in Air Force munitions were modified dodge cummins pickups. We had several '93s and '96s. Someone hung the key to a '96 on my '93s hook. I took it and started the truck with no problem, drove accross base to the main hanger, and took care of business. It was really embarasing to have to call the shop to get a key sent over, not to mention how long it took to figure out why the ignition would not work. That could be a source of good engines for us if and when the government auctions those bobtails. I know that we sent a couple to the Texarkana auction before I got into driving a 1st Gen.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
My first car ('82 Pontiac J-2000 ) had an ignition lock that was so worn out you didn't need the key. It was a handy feature on a car that wasn't worth stealing. My old Cop-price wouldn't start without the key, but you could pull the key out after you started it, nice for stopping in at the quickie mart and leaving the A/C running. Unfortunately the driver's door cylinder was so worn all you needed was an implement that fit in the slot to unlock the car.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Back when I was a kid and "55, 56, & 57" Chevys were used as daily drivers. About 30 keys would start 80% of all GM stuff. My buddy had a key ring of Chevy keys that would start 8 out of 10 Chevy's at our local hang out.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 PM

Smile

A very long time ago the key on my '64 Honda CL305 Scrambler would start my '69 Honda CL350 Scrambler....
Old 06-25-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
At work we had a fleet of 5 '93 dodge caravan's my '98 chev astro van key would open four of them and start one. For a while I had a thief coming around opening up my work van and helping himself to tools and stuff. There was never any damage so he had some sort of a key that worked.
With a bit of jiggling I bet your buddy's key would work on your truck...
Old 06-25-2006, 10:20 PM

Check out your camp trailers and you'll find that almost all of the hatches on the outside of most of them can be opened with a CH753 or CH504 key---also most of the entry doors use the same key---next time you lock yourself outta the camper, just ask your neighbor to use his key.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:44 PM

Nother thing to think about------most of the delta toolboxes use a 504 key, one might want to consider re-keying before leaving high dollar goddies in there.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Auge
Nother thing to think about------most of the delta toolboxes use a 504 key, one might want to consider re-keying before leaving high dollar goddies in there.
yep.. a ton of toolboxes are keyed alike.

Quick Reply: What are the chances?