Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What CB antenna set up do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the wilson 1000 mag mount with the 62" whip. I have no problem going through drive throughs or anything. My whip has taken a beating from tree limbs and all kinds of things. It is very strong and hasnt failed me yet. you can take the whip and bend it end to end and it will spring right back. Now I personally refuse to not go in parking garages 1 due to the antenna but 2 I dont trust my truck in them anyways.
Anyways I highly recommend the wilson 1000. You wont be dissapointed...
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 13ALPHA
How is it driving with a whip that height? I assume you just can't use most drive thru's or parking garages...Got a picture of the setup and mount?
It is not too bad, it will hit low hanging tree branches and the door openings at self car washes. As far as parking garages and the drive thru, I dont go in any parking garages (dont want to try, being on 35's with a light bar on top) and I usually go in to order food.

I will try to get pictures of the antenna.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
..magnetic antenna with a Cobra 40 CB...by the way..are truckers still using the channel 19 ??? been a while since I used it across country..
Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
They use that channel all the time. It's as busy as it ever was.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:26 PM

What CB antenna set up do you use?

I use a combination AM/FM/CB Antenna from Firestik. I fabricated a mount that allowed me to put the antenna exactly where the stock antenna used to be.

I'll admit it doesn't do well for AM radio, but I don't listen to enough AM broadcasts to worry about it.

Pat in Sun City, CA
www.patcarnathan.com
Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 AM

On the truck a have one mounted in the plate covering the hole where the tool box set before I put the stacks. It is a short one about 2.5 ft but all I use it for is traffic info anyway. On the Buick Lesabre I have the standard magnetic mount steel whip mounted on the trunk. This is the 4th car i hae had that antenna on and it works pretty well. Considering the fact it wa free I feel I have gotten my monies worth.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 AM

Anyone with a 3rd gen truck and a hood mount have a pic of how it looks and where you got it from Id appreciate it.
Had one on my 2nd gen and it worked great. Id like to get and install one on my 05.
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:21 PM

I use an Astatic 4.5" mag mount on the roof and a SkyThumper "Twist 'n' Shout" antenna. The antenna is a new model. About 4-ft tall with only 7" of it being rigid. Rest is just a stainless whip. Works great with my General A.P. Hill radio.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by donnee
Anyone with a 3rd gen truck and a hood mount have a pic of how it looks and where you got it from Id appreciate it.
Had one on my 2nd gen and it worked great. Id like to get and install one on my 05.
Thanks.
I've got a 5 foot firestick on a hood rail mount, drivers' side. I got a quick disconnect and a spring on it, so I've never worried about its height. i went with hood mount because of a slide in camper. Sorry, no pics.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks.
I used the fender/hood mount off my 2 gen on my last three 3 gen trucks. All I needed to do was put a small twist in the bracket. It looks like it did on the 2 gens. However, my setup had a Wilson antenna on it that was tuned to a modified Cobra 29. The radio started blowing fuses so I pulled it and put in an el cheapo Midland. I got a lot of complaints about the sound and interference when I spoke with the Midland. I tried a different mic and that did nothing. So for the heck of it I bought an el cheapo Barjan mag mount with the spring for flexing and it works real good, even when towing. Could the old Wilson and bad cable caused the 20 amp fuse to blow on the Cobra since it was turned up some? That radio is about 15 yrs old and worked awesome...I think the coax got crimped somewhere and maybe it was that causing the fuse to blow...?

Scotty
Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 AM

Thanks.
I would also like to see some mounted on the front fender (if that is what you are talking about )

I used to run dual whips on my tow mirrors (the old steel style) and they worked well for in front and behind, but sucked for side directions. Once I get different mirrors for the truck I am thinking of going to a whip that goes between my hood and fender, driver side.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am using a monkey made antenna mounted in my rear passenger stake pocket.

You can see the bottom of it in this pic: