Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What can cause a lead acid battery to explode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
They can blow a side out without an "explosion" as such when they are shorted, such as a wrench falling across the poles. That short can occur inside the battery - - too much current equals too much heat equals expansion equals blow a side off. The previous post as to the charging voltage is right on - - way too high for maintenance charge. Since I have switched to an inverter with smart charge on my RV, I have only added water one time in three years. Previously, I added water at least once a month when plugged in. When the water runs low, bad things happen to the plates. Suddenly they are touching and shorting.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Kieth, I double checked when I got in to work this morning and the battery is a 450 CCA 12V lead acid battery made by AC Delco. Another one just like it replaced the one that blew up.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the charger's float voltage is not adjustable, mark the install date on the batt and after a year (assuming it even lasted that long) change it out regardless(i.e, annual PM includes automatic batt replacement).

Not a bad idea especially if it is the backup to the emergency alternate backup's backup power etc...

K
Old 04-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A long time ago I posted about this problem with the Dodge. The truck was a few months old. My son drove it to his mothers and parked in the drive way. An hour or so later he came out hit the key and the left battery exploded. Took out the top and side, covered the engine compartment with acid. These were the stock batteries supplied by Dodge. So we put new batteries in after the cleanup. They proceeded to dribble down both fenders ruining the paint. Dodge did not want to even hear about it. I went to the red tops and never had another problem. The voltages all checked out to specs, no overchange by Dodge standards.

Back in the 1970's GM and Chrysler all charged at 13.7 but Ford charged at 14.3. The Fords all had rotted battery cases after a couple of years. Most batteries have a float of 13.8 so in essence short trip charging systems over charge to a degree. Long distance trucks have the voltage down at 13.8 or 13.9 which prevents this.

Over the last few years I have talked to several Dodge diesel owners that have had batteries blow. The Optima's will take a 15 volt charge which is why I went to them instead of changing the charging system to a lower voltage. In the future I will go to the Optima battery in the big truck also. Course five of them is a big chunk of change.

When it blew, the engine never was cranked, it blew with the key going to on position, never got to start.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one go to boiling on me one day on the way home in my old 89. I asked and electrical type dude here at work what could have happened. He said most likely two cells shorted out. I carefully shut the hood and walked away from it for about a week. You want to talk about nervous while pulling that thing, PHEW. I gently carried it out back and left it set for about three months before I even looked at it again. Never had one do that. That thing sounded like a tea pot on the stove when I popped the hood. I could smell that acid too.