Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

whadda you think of PLANET EARTH tv show?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
whadda you think of PLANET EARTH tv show?

the narration (both the words and the delivery) are driving me NUTS.

got a few non-discerning friends who like it,

watched WILD THINGS about Lions last week - LOVED it. some aussie sounding chick, so many FACTS i wanted to take notes.

the PLANET EARTH is all them saying how "this is the first ever footage of...."
Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I kinda liked it....

I would love to visit some of the areas they covered. Theres alot to see out there. I liked the show with the redwoods. Im going to see them someday
Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hmm, maybe i need to catch another episode then.

sigourney weaver is the narrator per the end credits.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 PM

I enjoy the show, but I've seen better nature programs. The filming is beautiful, but I find the pace to be too fast. They are trying to pack too many things into a small episode. I'd prefer to spend more time on a particular creature and learn more about it. I find that I'm not learning much and end up having tons of questions go unanswered as they move on to the next thing.

I'd give the show a 8 out of 10, and only because of the great camera work.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by redpoint5
I enjoy the show, but I've seen better nature programs. The filming is beautiful, but I find the pace to be too fast. They are trying to pack too many things into a small episode. I'd prefer to spend more time on a particular creature and learn more about it. I find that I'm not learning much and end up having tons of questions go unanswered as they move on to the next thing.

I'd give the show a 8 out of 10, and only because of the great camera work.
I agree with all you state. 8 out of 10 is about right.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love that show!!!! I agree it is kinda fast paced. They have done some side shows showing the filming of different segments and that helped explain some of it though.

Did anybody catch the part where the great white takes out the sea lion in super slow motion. I hated to see the sea lion have to go, but that is just nature. Sharks have been around for 400 million years for a reason! Anyway, the super slow motion was a lucky shot that has never been filmed before and to watch that entire shark body come up and out of the water and back down in the flash of an eye. Just amazing!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Did anybody catch the part where the great white takes out the sea lion in super slow motion. I hated to see the sea lion have to go, but that is just nature. Sharks have been around for 400 million years for a reason! Anyway, the super slow motion was a lucky shot that has never been filmed before and to watch that entire shark body come up and out of the water and back down in the flash of an eye. Just amazing!
It was almost like the shark came 4ft or so out of the water-simply amazing.

I havent watched enough of the show to figure out if I like it or not, I usually just catch parts of it. It is amazing though, what Mother Nature has in store for us if we are just willing to look around and spend some time outdoors(which I do hunting every fall).

Did anybody see the episode that was on last Sunday, where they showed how they filmed the series? It was simply amazing what those cameramen had to sit through to get a few seconds of video. They are much more patient that I am
Old 05-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhornet1986
It was almost like the shark came 4ft or so out of the water-simply amazing.

I havent watched enough of the show to figure out if I like it or not, I usually just catch parts of it. It is amazing though, what Mother Nature has in store for us if we are just willing to look around and spend some time outdoors(which I do hunting every fall).

Did anybody see the episode that was on last Sunday, where they showed how they filmed the series? It was simply amazing what those cameramen had to sit through to get a few seconds of video. They are much more patient that I am

Yeah, they had a poor camerman sitting for hours upon hours hiding and waiting for a potential female mate to come see the male "Bird of Paradise" put on a dancing show for her love. But he got some amazing footage! Never seen anything like it.

They also had a super zooming camera mounted on a helicopter flying way way up above some african wild dogs going on a hunt. It would be nearly impossible to keep up with them on the ground.....and most cameras would have to have the helicopter fly in closer to get a view of them....thereby messing up any potential footage by the distraction of the helicopter. With that high tech camera they were able to fly like 4 or 5 times higher than normal and still get the footage without the wild hunting dogs even knowing about it.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I really like it. Great camera footage. I watch it and just marvel at how everything in nature just seems to "work" together. It just affirms my belief that all of this was created by God and didn't just "happen".
Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Personally, I really like it. Great camera footage. I watch it and just marvel at how everything in nature just seems to "work" together. It just affirms my belief that all of this was created by God and didn't just "happen".
+1 I think the series is simply amazing! I caugt the one of the snow leopard the other day. First ever footage taped of a snow leopard hunting... Truly amazing filming with the Great White Shark as well
Old 05-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

I haven't seen it yet......what time and what day does it come on? I'm curious to see it now.

~Nick
Old 05-02-2007, 01:46 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its one of the best documentarys I have ever watched...
teh camera work is unbeleivable and some of the shots they got are amazing.
Sigourney Weaver was probably not the best choice for narration, but the video maeks up for it.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Chapter President

very good.....love it!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM

I like it.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I haven't seen it yet......what time and what day does it come on? I'm curious to see it now.

~Nick
Sundays @ 8 pm I believe it is. I think the series may be over, last time I caught it they were doing directors favorite clips and what not. Might be able to catch some re-runs.

Quick Reply: whadda you think of PLANET EARTH tv show?