Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Welding on a truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding on a truck

What's the consenus on this subject? I've heard that welding on a trucks frame (for example) can possibly damage the electronics on the vehicle.

This past weekend I added a 6-pole trailer wiring connector and I wanted to weld the bracket to the side of the trailer hitch on the truck because it would have been much easier than drilling holes for the bolts. But, because of my concerns with welding, I ended up drilling the holes (which took forever!).

Is it possible to safely weld on a vehicle?

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:38 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Re:Welding on a truck

Sure. Just disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Or both negative terminals if you have two batteries. Of course there are the usual safety considerations to impliment, but hope those go without it being necessary to spell them out.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:41 PM

I have welded on my truck. I welded the rear bumper to the frame and also my front ranchhand replacement to the frame. I did disconnect the battery before welding, and I placed the ground as close as I could to the spot where I was welding. I have not seen any ill-effects to this point.

I plan to weld a gooseneck hitch in my father-in-laws 2000 Ford PSD in a couple of weeks. I will follow the same procedure as above.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:43 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Forgot to mention something that is often overlooked. If you are electric welding, never attach the ground wire from the welder to the opposite side of any bearing. In other words do not attach the ground on the the axle, (the inside part of a bearing) or any other rotating part and then weld on the a part attached to the outside of the bearing.
To put it other words, never weld anything on your truck that will transfer the electrical load across sensitive parts.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:18 PM

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=10;threadid=18011;start=0#msg168544 date=1060112312]
Sure. Just disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Or both negative terminals if you have two batteries. Of course there are the usual safety considerations to impliment, but hope those go without it being necessary to spell them out.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Ok, good to know. Would you mind explaining what disconnecting the batteries does? Is it as simple as just "breaking the circuit" (if that's the correct way to describe it?) so that the current from the welding can't get to the electronics of the vehicle. Because the negative terminal on the battery is grounded to the frame, right? So, if I'm welding on the frame, the electricity would flow throughout the frame, up the ground lead that would (normally) be connected to the battery, but since it's not connected, it's not hurting anything?

Sorry for the ramble... just thinking out loud.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:23 PM

You got it. As long as you can isolate anything electronic you are pretty safe. Electrics are not so sensitive to transient voltages as are electronics. It takes just a fraction of second to fry some electronics.
Happy welding.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:50 PM

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=10;threadid=18011;start=0#msg168756 date=1060140233]
You got it. As long as you can isolate anything electronic you are pretty safe. Electrics are not so sensitive to transient voltages as are electronics. It takes just a fraction of second to fry some electronics.
Happy welding.
[/quote]

What about things under the dash? Like my Turbo Life Saver or tranny gauge? Things like this are grounded inside the cab, but I don't know if those ground points are connected to the frame via cab mounts or whatever... I guess I'd disconnect the grounds just to be safe.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:36 AM

They should be OK as wll. By disconnecting the batteries you have disconnected a path for the electricity to flow. Even if the stuff under the dash is grounded under the dash the positive side is disconnected. In simle terms, as long as there is no continuous path for the transient voltages to follow, you are safe.