Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

welder/generator/electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welder/generator/electrical question

Hi all.

I know there are a few of you on this site who have a good deal of elctrical knowledge and know how.

I am by NO means an electrician

I have a 10 hp generator, 6250 watts max output, rated for 5000 continuous.

I'm wondering if I can run a 220 mig welder off this geneartor?? especially for emergency off site equipment repair

Generator is equipped with 220 outlet.

can't seem to find required input power on welder.

What about a regular old arc welder?? ( I think migs take less power though)

I imagine a big load like that would be relatively hard on the generator, especially since it is not study, ie. welding..... not welding........ spikes in amperage draw etc.
But.... it's not like I'd be doing it all day every day.
I'm not that worried about the generator.

Just wondering if it's possible.

Thank you.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watts = volts x amps
Therefore: 5000 W divided by 220 V = 22.7 amps

Depending on how many amps your welder puts out, your machine could require as much as 60 amps input at maximum output power.

You can probably weld 1/4" steel with it, but nothing thicker. If your generator has a circuit breaker, or overload protection you can try welding thicker materials to see if it'll work. Don't try anything thicker than 1/4" it if there's no overload protection or you'll fry the generator.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:51 PM

Thanks Welder 27.

I know the Amps x Volts = watts

but I haven't been able to find required input power on Welder.

(small lincoln, 220, with gas solenoid)

Generator is circuit protected (with a breaker) so I guess I'll just have to try it and give it a whirl.

1/4" eh?? better than nothing I guess.

Besides, Generator is still under Warranty.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:27 AM

Kinda off topic, but I used to work with a guy that ran a small mig off of a 2000W inverter...worked pretty well...
Old 02-05-2004, 04:55 AM

Just a little bit of trivia for you guys, so that you can astound your co-workers with your knowledge. The term MIG in welding technology stands for "metal inert gas". Everyone uses this term (MIG) today and everyone will pretty much know what you are saying.......BUT.......The true definition of what you are calling MIG should really be GMAW, or gas metal arc welding...

MIG was originally developed when the shielding gasses used were truly "Inert".

With the combinbation gasses that are used today, Argon, Helium, Carbon Dioxide, most people who use wire feed welders use a shielding gas combination of what is called C-25, or 75% Argon and 25% CO2. Since CO2 is not "INERT"... the real term that should be used to describe these welders is G.M.A.W.

PS. Don't know what your duty cycle or Amp draw is on your welder, but you might get it to work . The problem I would think with a generator is that they wouldn't allow you to spike it very often.....Once you got going.......maybe? Give it a a shot. 1/4" steel is pretty THICK in the auto industry.
I don't know of too many items that are 1/4 thick steel on our trucks, except maybe the block on our CTD.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:11 AM

Once welded the front end back on to a POS Cavalier for a friend with a little flux-core MIG running on a (and this is no lie) a 1500W Generac generator. Hey, it was the best we could do back then

The big problem with running a MIG (and especially a stick) off of a small generator is that the starting arc loads down the generator, causing it to bog, drop the arc, then reacquire the arc when the genset revs back up under the load and the voltage comes back up. It does not make for pretty welds and probably makes the transformer in the welder very unhappy with the changing magentic flux that results from all of the voltage fluctuations.

YMMV.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:49 PM

Yeah, I hear you. I kinda had the same thought as well.

But I think I can live with it if it's only every now and then, Generator is supposed to have a maximum surge of 6250 W.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by magnum
Just a little bit of trivia for you guys, so that you can astound your co-workers with your knowledge. The term MIG in welding technology stands for "metal inert gas". Everyone uses this term (MIG) today and everyone will pretty much know what you are saying.......BUT.......The true definition of what you are calling MIG should really be GMAW, or gas metal arc welding...

MIG was originally developed when the shielding gasses used were truly "Inert".

With the combinbation gasses that are used today, Argon, Helium, Carbon Dioxide, most people who use wire feed welders use a shielding gas combination of what is called C-25, or 75% Argon and 25% CO2. Since CO2 is not "INERT"... the real term that should be used to describe these welders is G.M.A.W.

PS. Don't know what your duty cycle or Amp draw is on your welder, but you might get it to work . The problem I would think with a generator is that they wouldn't allow you to spike it very often.....Once you got going.......maybe? Give it a a shot. 1/4" steel is pretty THICK in the auto industry.
I don't know of too many items that are 1/4 thick steel on our trucks, except maybe the block on our CTD.
You are absolutely right. Seems like every wirefeed welder is now known as a MIG, flux-core gasless or not. -Steve
Old 02-07-2004, 12:25 AM

GMAW, FCAW-S, FCAW-G, GTAW, SMAW, SAW, PAW, ESW, etc. But as long as there are old timers out there who refuse to change their ways, there will always be MIG, Dual Shield, Innershield, TIG, stick, etc.

Is your welder a Lincoln 175? or Miller? And is it the welder that weighs 50 lbs? If so, I can find out what the max input amps is. I'm sure the max is more than 22 amps though...probably something like 40-50 amps.