Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

We have a new Prime Minister

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 01:27 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
We have a new Prime Minister

Canada has elected a new prime minister, Stephen Harper of the Conservative party. It is a minority government meaning we may land up with another election in a very short period of time. This is a shift to the right of center on Canada's political landscape. the last 12 years have been to the left of center with the liberal party.
124 seats conservative
103 seats liberal
51 seats bloc
29 seats ndp
1 other

Interesting times.... I don't think Canadian politics is in any danger of being dull any time soon.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a positive sign that people see what liberalism can do to values and rights. Maybe in time you can get things back to right. Especially with your anti-gun laws.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
My cousins had given up hope - - constantly complaining about the corruption in the government. They have not voted for years. I jumped all over them - - - they voted this year feeling something good was going to happen. Hope this can start getting things straightened out for you. Only one problem - - I think the name of that job is "polititian". Pretty hopeless.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its good to see that our friends to the south do see what we are up against. In my province we are pretty much 100% Conservative party lead both provincially and now Federally.

The closing statement by our new Prime Minister struck a very good chord with me.. "God bless Canada". Finally, someone with some morals. You wouldn't here that with the old guard.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
For me what I like about the results is that the PC's in a minority need to prove themselves and keep their promises and as they do that, if an election is coming...they will take a majority. If they do not...well, its back to choosing the lesser evil. I have a feeling that they will be assertive with their mandate. Next election would probably send the Liberals lower down and the ndp closer up with the PC's in the lead. How come only one province has a national party? the Bloc

Now the Liberals that ripped us off need to be held personally accountable for their lying, cheating, stealing and defrauding...make them pay for it, not us.

Scotty
Old 01-24-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bah.... Harper is a edit. but we'll see what happens i guess. i voted liberal.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good to see Canadians taking back their country.

Never, Never, Never give up. Never.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scotty
.... How come only one province has a national party? the Bloc
Scotty
You're referring to the "Treason Party". We'd have a better chance of electing a majority gov't if this party was limited to provincial politics. They did lose 3 seats so maybe the people of Quebec are starting to think about the good of the country instead of trying to tear it apart. But then again, I live in Sask. The color of my neck is starting to show.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
well, its back to choosing the lesser evil.

Scotty
I have been saying that all week. I just didn't get a good feeling watching all the slanderous commercials with the party's trashing each other. The one in particular talking about Harper & his " American Buddies " <edit> was with that
Old 01-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by krock
The one in particular talking about Harper & his " American Buddies " <edit> was with that
I beleive that was a desparate party grasping at straws. A poor attempt at that.....I wasn't impressed by that either. Since Canada and the US are just about each others biggest trade partners, it only stands to reason that the two leaders should see eye to eye and get along well - heck, we depend on it and so does the US. To suggest that there is something so bad about electing a PM that is pro-US and liked by the US president is a poor choice, IMO and alienated many voters - including me. It demonstrated that the Fiberals platform doesn't have much intent or interest in keeping good relations with our Southern neighbors and frankly, that concerns me.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Good luck guys, hope this turns out for the better..was just talking to JMK last week aobut this and this was our main subject so, once again, good luck

Mike
Old 01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
I beleive that was a desparate party grasping at straws. A poor attempt at that.....I wasn't impressed by that either. Since Canada and the US are just about each others biggest trade partners, it only stands to reason that the two leaders should see eye to eye and get along well - heck, we depend on it and so does the US. To suggest that there is something so bad about electing a PM that is pro-US and liked by the US president is a poor choice, IMO and alienated many voters - including me. It demonstrated that the Fiberals platform doesn't have much intent or interest in keeping good relations with our Southern neighbors and frankly, that concerns me.
well said...I mean our "leaders" (Your old PM)didnt stand eye to eye, and despised each other...both of our countries were screwed, frankly thats scares me to even think of two nations as close as us, not on good terms

*Edit*fixed comment
Old 01-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iker42
well said...I mean what if our "leaders" didnt stand eye to eye, and despised each other...both of our countries would be screwed, frankly thats scares me to even think of two nations as close as us, not on good terms
Thank you, what you just described is exactly what we had - two leaders that didn't get along well and didn't see eye to eye on much.........and both countries paid for it. I sure am glad we are past that now and moving onward.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:38 PM
JKM

Like Iker said , we had a pretty good chat about this last week , and i hope everything has just changed for the better....
Old 01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Thank you, what you just described exactly what we had - to leaders that didn't get along well and didn't see eye to eye on much.........and both countries paid for it. I sure am glad we are past that now and moving onward.
HA..your right, accidently put what if..Fixed