Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Way OT - Night vision device..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way OT - Night vision device..

Just wondering if anyone has night vision goggles/binoculars/monoculars?? What generation do you have and any pros or cons to what you bought..<br><br>Been thinking they would be fun to play around with camping, or walking to the deer stand in the dark..<br><br>Priced some online, Cabales, and Sportsmans guide.. and generation 1 are reasonably inexpensive.. for $200 (or less for some) to 300 you can get some..<br><br>I know i dont need (cant afford) Gen 2 or Gen 3.. Any comments or suggestions..<br><br>thanks..
Old 03-31-2003, 11:15 AM

Re:Way OT - Night vision device..

if you decide to buy them make sure you can take them back. You might be happy with them,I wasn't, although I was used to using Gen III NVG. I bought a set of Gen I's and only keep them a week they were just too cloudy and hard to see anything out of but like I said I used GEN III's in avaition which are held to higher standards.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:20 AM

i should have thrown this in earlier..<br><br>A friend has some Gen 3 (approx $3-4k cost) that I tried once.. I was impressed with them but I havent tried Gen 1 or 2 yet, but your comments give me an idea of what to expect from Gen 1 or 2....<br><br>thanks..<br>
Old 03-31-2003, 12:11 PM

I have used a friend's low-end Gen II on occasion. He bought them for naval navigation (East Coast &lt;=&gt; Bermuda on a sailing yacht) where you have a pretty open field of vision and usually some ambient light.<br><br>Not very clear (fuzzy outlines), definitely not what I would want if I was flying with them. Good for non-critical surveillance and just goofing off. Don't know if I would trust them for walking in the woods with a loaded weapon due to lack of depth perception and small field of view. Like I said, these were low-end of the spectrum. I reckon you get what you pay for.