Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

This is WAY off topic...But...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe that someone would even hire him. And for everyone to know and not do anything... beyond me.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Fayte83,

First let me welcome you to the site (tips hat) I truly enjoy seeing our female members becoming more involved in the forums We strive to keep the forums clean so that it can be enjoyed by everyone.

Secondly thank you for your stand against this wayward AWOL coworker, being Retired Army myself I have zero tolerance for this type of thing and I would NEVER do business with a Dealership that knowingly hired this individual.

Thirdly (is that a word) You may not realize this but turning this individual in will actually help him in the long run. Running from his problem only makes it worse, and generally once they do get a hold of an AWOL soldier, they are discharged for the good of the service.

This process takes time and obviously it won't be a "vacation" by any stretch of the imagination, but when it is all done he will be able to move on with his life, with out looking over his shoulder all the time.

We all have to stand up for our actions, and once he does he can put all this behind him.

Good luck and thanks for caring,

Lary
Old 04-08-2005, 01:44 PM

Hey guys, just got back from work.. Apparently our friend had the day off /sigh..

I will do my best to get his info as soon as I can.. I did call that number that I had posted early on this morning (the AWOL reporting one), They didnt have very much to say really, besides that many soldiers are going AWOL, and there is really nothing they can do, I asked them about the police getting involved, and they said almost word for word what the CID site said, "We can not get involved with the police unless they have commited a crime before going AWOL" so I asked: "So the whole US Army could just up and leave and unless they raped or murdered someone, you could do nothing?".. They didnt like that too much.. But that's the way it seems to be, I had a responce on another forum from a retired police officer of 30 years, He said that the boy could go in to the police station and announce that he is AWOL, and the best they could do is urge him to go back.. Nothing more..

I am just shocked by this, and I'm sure many others would be too if they knew.. I have no more I can offer to get this boy back to the military, I may try just talking to him, and letting him know what he is doing is cowardly and wrong, But I highly doubt that will do anything.. Worth a shot I suppose...

Well I'm drained guys, thanks so much for your support, it means the world to me..

EDIT:
Just wanted to add a few things.. I am not proud that I work for this place any longer, but it's hard to find jobs these days, and jobs that pay decent is even harder to find.. I just wanted to let you all know that if I had any other choice I would not be working for this place... And am ashamed of it to be honest..
Old 04-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

He's probably been declared a deserter. That happens after 30 days AWOL/UA. If he were to voluntarily return to military control, then he hasn't deserted, he's just been AWOL/UA. Desertion requires the intent to remain away. If the cops catch him and bring him back, he'll get charged with desertion and it'll stick.

Usually the military doesn't chase deserters, but they do report them to police; I'd guess the cop didn't even run the guys name. He got an active duty ID and just assumed the guy was home on leave. Because you were only stopped for speeding, there really wasn't any reason to check on your passenger.

If you call the Army and report it, they usually will pursue the tip and try and come get the guy. Once you've finished up with the stint at your current employer, you might go to the local paper and give them this little tidbit so they can print an expose: Local business hires known deserter!

I'll also offer for you to PM if you need help. I'm active duty Navy and currently working with lots of Army folks. I can get it taken care of, too. Just PM. And I, like most of the others here, share your disgust at deserters; especially the ones who "just signed up for the benefits - not to fight." Well, duh, it's the military... what the hell did you think might someday happen!!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:03 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

It's not a crime, just breach of contract. Tells you about his character and the character of the people that employ somebody like that.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome to the site Fayte83, and how ever you handle this,dont get your self fired for some dirtbag chicken whos word means nothing .I am proud of all who have served to give us the freedom we have . its just to bad so many people take this great country for granted!
good luck

Robert
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I too am retired Military (USAF). It does me good to see your concerns. I currently work on Ft Knox, and several times a week I hear the MP's being directed to pick up AWOL/Deserters.

Getting ready to have one of my "hissy fits" as the wifey calls them. Guess I'll have another cup of coffee.

By the way, what part of Montana are you in? I'm from Big Timber long years ago.

PM if I can help.

Ed
Old 04-08-2005, 02:12 PM

From Great Falls
Old 04-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
According to the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice)

808. ART. 8. APPREHENSION OF DESERTERS
Any civil officer having authority to apprehend offenders under the laws of the United States or of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession, or the District of Columbia may summarily apprehend a deserter from the armed forces and deliver him into the custody of those forces.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 PM

Another Montana gal- cool
Old 04-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Great... and I was having a good day, now I'm all spun up.

I've worked with and have known a few guys that have taken off... I'm so frustrated right now I can't think of what I want to say...

Unfortunatly since as you said there aren't any bases around you... it's those areas that cops are very lienent (sp) and I doubt he even ran his ID since he did hand him his military ID.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:51 PM

Malmstrom AFB is in town- They control the 200 or so nuke holes we have in the state
Old 04-08-2005, 08:21 PM

I the guy AWOL guy Air Force? I was stationed at Malmstrom for 4 yrs as a cop (still wear the badge anyway, although I am work in the sub-specialty of Combat Arms), and OSI or USAF Security Forces are the folks you want to contact at Malmstrom. The nearest Army post Is Ft Harrison (MTARNG) down in Helena. If the guy is Air Force, you need to call the Security Forces Desk Sergeant (If he's Army, our Investigators can still have him apprehended by the local GFPD). The problem with apprehending a person off-base is identifying them. For us to apprehend a troop off-base, normally we need to have them contacted by civilian police, identified, then they turn the troop over to us. Like said above, we normally don't chase down deserters. The US Military got a good bit of bad PR during Vietnam for chasing down AWOL/Deserters. Once they go "Deserter Status", they are literally a wanted man for the rest of their lives. So, no, you can't just up and walk on the military. Once they are listed a deserter, anytime their SSN is involved, their screwed, so the vast majority of deserters end up homeless, because they can't get jobs. Most of the deserters we had delivered to us (by Civilian PD) while I was at Nellis in Nevada were homeless. Oh, and by the way, Desertion is a Federal Offense (Felony) and your employer is aiding and abedding a fugitive, since they know he's a fugitive. You may want to mention that to your boss. -Steve

PS- He won't be in the NCIC (National Crime Information Computer) if he hasn't yet been declared a Deserter. If you PM me w/ his info, ie.. where he works, name, where he lives, etc.. I'll help you out on my end. I can't imagine a guy being dumb enough to tell people he's AWOL and live in a town where there is a large military installation...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Banned

If it bothers you dudes a lot make sure you have a dd214 in your stuff somewhere,or dont say anything
Old 04-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by thumper 549
If it bothers you dudes a lot make sure you have a dd213 in your stuff somewhere,or dont say anything
Huh? What's a dd213? Do you mean a dd214 - discharge papers? And why do you have to have one of them to consider this guy a coward without the moral fortitude to honor his word? Don't have to be a vet to realize he's scum.

Quick Reply: This is WAY off topic...But...