Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Water smells like rotten eggs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water smells like rotten eggs

When we first moved in our house @ 10 yrs ago, the water had the "rotten egg" smell and it wound up being our well tank bladder had some pin holes in it letting bacteria in. Replaced the bladder and alls been fine until recently. Now the smell is back but its just at one sink???? If memory serves me correct this is the only fixture that still has galvanized plumbing...I changed everything else to PVC. Could that somehow cause it? I hate to spend the $$ on a new bladder when it seems like its concentrated on this one sink.

Oh yeah, I thought about pouring some bleach down the well but am afraid I'd screw something up by either ruining the laundry or tearing up the well but it might be a last resort.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sulfur producing bacteria.....put about 1 cup of Clorox into the system......run it until you can smell the Clorox mixture coming out of all fixtures......let sand for 2 hours.......smell gone......I have to do it to my system about twice a year.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Urban Legend

Originally Posted by annabelle
Sulfur producing bacteria.....put about 1 cup of Clorox into the system......run it until you can smell the Clorox mixture coming out of all fixtures......let sand for 2 hours.......smell gone......I have to do it to my system about twice a year.
What she said Just don't use the "spring fresh " Clorox

Also you can treat your whole well add bleach ( most home size wells add about 1/2 -1 gallon ) and run the well until you smell chlorine shut well off and let stand for two hours then water your yard until the bleach is out of the system then flush the house. Give me the details on your well and I can give you exact dosage. I will need size of the casing and the depth of the water.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

Yeah, use the regular Clorox....easy to pick up the smell. Me be a he.....Annabelle is the name of my truck.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Urban Legend

Yeah, use the regular Clorox....easy to pick up the smell. Me be a he.....Annabelle is the name of my truck.
Opps my apologies Just seen the screen name.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
And just when I'd been think lately "that Annabelle is one smart knowledgeable woman" certainly knows her stuff.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by bigfoot
What she said Just don't use the "spring fresh " Clorox

Also you can treat your whole well add bleach ( most home size wells add about 1/2 -1 gallon ) and run the well until you smell chlorine shut well off and let stand for two hours then water your yard until the bleach is out of the system then flush the house. Give me the details on your well and I can give you exact dosage. I will need size of the casing and the depth of the water.

Its either a 3, 4 or 6"...don't really know but I do know that its a deep well @ 600' deep. How do you get the clorox down into the well?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned

You don't. The water coming from the well is not the problem, the water that has stagnated in the pressure tank is. You may need to make yourself a small "well" in the pipe that goes to the bladder......then you can introduce the Clorox into the system there. If your filters are up steam of the pressure tank, put the Clorox into the system there. I have an air gap which I put a threaded coupling on ,that is up stream of the pressure tank, which I use to introduce the Clorox......you don't need to try and get the Clorox to the source of your water. No problem on the name confusion guys, I get it all the time.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Urban Legend

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
Its either a 3, 4 or 6"...don't really know but I do know that its a deep well @ 600' deep. How do you get the clorox down into the well?
Gravity............. Just dump it in . Don't need to know the depth of the well just how deep the water is in the well or how far it is to the water ether will do.

But just using the SWAG method with the full depth of the well and a 6” casing for a 100 PPM dosage you will only need a ½ gallon.

With this high of a dose, if you have Iron or Manganese in the water you will most likely notice a red or black tint while you are flushing. Make sure you get it all out or you will stain the laundry, but ether one will not hurt to drink just tastes bad.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

bigfoot is right......it may produce a gross black looking mixture after you have let it set.......just let the system flush it's self.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bigfoot
Gravity............. Just dump it in . Don't need to know the depth of the well just how deep the water is in the well or how far it is to the water ether will do.

But just using the SWAG method with the full depth of the well and a 6” casing for a 100 PPM dosage you will only need a ½ gallon.

With this high of a dose, if you have Iron or Manganese in the water you will most likely notice a red or black tint while you are flushing. Make sure you get it all out or you will stain the laundry, but ether one will not hurt to drink just tastes bad.

I thought he pressure tank sat on top of the well head but in hindsight I think it sets to the side of it. Is there normally a cap you can remove to access the water?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

Should be a cap ob top of the casing and most likely a submersible pump is dropped down through it to your water table.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Urban Legend

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
I thought he pressure tank sat on top of the well head but in hindsight I think it sets to the side of it. Is there normally a cap you can remove to access the water?
That all depends on the way the driller did the install. But all wells must have a vent so you can remove the vent (usually a goose neck looking piece of pipe) and just dump the bleach in.
Then run your garden hose and circulate the water back into the well until you smell bleach .
Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigfoot and annabella are correct in what they told you. Is the smell from the hot or cold side? If it is from the hot turn the water heater up. Also isthis sink used a lot or does it go unused for long periods of time? We do have a sheet at work on how to disinfect a well. I work for the state of Pa. regulating drinking water facilities. Keith
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ktpauley
Bigfoot and annabella are correct in what they told you. Is the smell from the hot or cold side? If it is from the hot turn the water heater up. Also isthis sink used a lot or does it go unused for long periods of time? We do have a sheet at work on how to disinfect a well. I work for the state of Pa. regulating drinking water facilities. Keith
Its both hot and cold and its the kitchen sink which gets used alot. Thats whats throwing me. Why doesn't the smell make it to the other sinks?

Quick Reply: Water smells like rotten eggs