Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Water Cooler April 18-24

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mornin folks.
Rain here in the Northeast.
Oh well.
Gotta find the rain gear and get to it.
Later

Rich
Old 04-23-2004, 06:19 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Happy Friday,

Sittin' @ the home 20 sippin coffee,

I love "use or lose days".

Not much on the agenda for today, might have to go punch some holes in some paper and try out the 9mm Cor-bon Powr-ball +P I picked up a week ago.
Should be reeeeal interesting out of a 3" barrel in my "carry piece". (thinking the flash & report might be just a tad too intense.)

Have a great day at work...............

TryingtoseehowIcoulddolessworkathomethanatworkEd
Old 04-23-2004, 06:51 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All computers logged in, screens set up, coffee brewing, sun shining, ready to go.....

Tied a dozen flies last night. That aughta get , me by tomorrow. Took Karen and Chris up to the Betsie River Saturday and visited a friend. The river is closed until Saturday by his place, but we watched a bunch of steeelhead fighting over thier nests. Some black, stoneflies were coming off the water, and about an 18" brown came out of the water after one, right next to us. This was at the same hole my cousin caught a 27" brown on the last opener. It was like slow motion, I could see every mark on him. Found a couple turtles digging a nest, Chris liked that. We went down stream a couple bridges, where the river is open to fishing. Only saw one fish. He was pretty old and beat up, drifting down the river, dying. Karen and Chric were trampsing up and down the bank, mainly Chris trying to jump and splash in the muck. Didn't expect to catch anything with all that, but it was ok. Only lost 1 fly. Ok, coffee's ready......
Old 04-23-2004, 07:45 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quiet here at the cave. Nothing going on except a few "home projects". Got to finish up the forks for the tractor. They"ll make it a bunch easier to get the logs loaded and save a lot of time. We can always block them up and split them later. Looked at the area and appears to be another 10 cords or so to work this weekend. Sure glad I've got hydraulics to use instead of back muscles.
More rain in the forcast for today and tomorrow.

Shortround out
Old 04-23-2004, 08:03 AM
DPG

Good Morning, DTRonians! It's sunny and 39* here in Northwestern Lower Michigan. Last day of work for this week. I've got to take the snowblower off the tractor and get the mower deck on. Grass is beginning to look kind of shaggy.

Redleg, you coming north for the trout festival in Kalkaska this weekend?

ramlovingvet, you mentioned a campground in another post. Are you affiliated with a campground there in Oregon? I checked out your area on the net and it's beautiful. I'll be looking for a place to land with the fiver in a few years for the summer months and looks my kids will be moving west after college.

DeWain
Old 04-23-2004, 08:09 AM

Naa, I'm gonna be on the Betsie. If it's crowded, I may go hunt a beaver dam.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:20 AM
JKE

shortround - no takers on the job opening...no one wants to leave the area....

still hunting some wood....
Old 04-23-2004, 08:41 AM

Plenty of downed oak up here if you need fire wood.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:20 AM

Red,
Got boo coo oak. Especially so since we're clearing out a 25' x ~7000' strip (fence rows). I was talking to JKE about some swapping some smoking wood. I've got several cords of hickory and cherry and was looking for some maple. Pine, pith elm, and sweet gum just don't work well for smoking.
It's looking like we will end up with 200+ cords of firewood to sell this fall.
Just got a new toy. An Oregon 511A chain sharpener List was $575 and I got it for $271.09 with all the attachments. At $3.75 each to get a chain sharpened, it won't take long to pay for itself, especially if we cut up any more black jacks. The distributor also sells precut chain. A 3/8 pitch 72LP chain for a 20" bar costs me $10.25 versus $17.95.
it's raining again/still

backtothegrind(hopeIdidn'tstartsomething)Shortroun d out
Old 04-23-2004, 11:41 AM

Sweeeeet, I've been leaning towards a sharpener. I want a good one so it'll have to wait a bit. In the mean time, I'll be sending down my rip 32" rip-chains. Went from $4 to $6 for a sharpen this year. I have some oak drying now, for a table. 2x4,6,8,and 10. A few red pine planks drying too. Have to cut some beams after I get some fishing in. Gonna build Karen a nice covered porch off the new bedroom. You ever look at an Alaska Mill, Bruce?
Old 04-23-2004, 12:39 PM

I've used one like what I bought. What I like about it is you can dial in all four angles that are normally cut. The vise tilt angle is easy, either 90 or 10 degrees. The top plate will run from 5 - 35 degrees and 50 or 60 degrees and the side plate from 60 to 85 degrees.
Oregon makes a bar clamp type that runs off 12 vdc. It's fine for touch up. Ripper chains are a bit different on the angles. I'll send you some info.
I've found that most of the places that sharpen chains just use set angles for all their chains. It makes a huge difference on what you're cutting. This way, if I'm in a bunch of pine, I can sharpen for pine, if in oak, then do that.
My neighbor has a big wood mizer. He can cut up to 20 odd ft lengths and around 30 inch diameter. Dimention lumber is no problem. I've already built up a sizable account with him from all the pine I've cut. He just finished up a job for a guy building a horse barn. 100,000 board feet of oak. Quite a pile of lumber. Gary cuts around 2 million board feet a year.
I'll check the prices on ripper chain for you. What pitch are you running? I saw in the catalog some carbide coated chain. About twice the cost but lasts 5-10 times longer between sharpenings.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:44 PM

Red,
Check out
www.windsorforestry.com
www.oregonchain.com
Old 04-23-2004, 01:31 PM

http://www.madsens1.com/mainmnu.htm

3/8 pitch, I have Oregon chains now, thinking about trying one of their Granberg styles. One of my partners has a wood mizer, I get some thinner stuff from him now and again. I also use a log wizard frequently.