Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I can no longer handle seeing them put in the ground.
I can understand that.

Howdy all,

Just a fly by. Hope everybody has a wonderful day.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You eventually see enough people say you cold to everything.
I done enough memorial services I won't even go to wakes at funeral homes.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Whew - - busy day. UHHHH, the ph00 pot is empty, dirty and on the floor. DUH - - what is going on? Not fair. OK, washed it, noticed this morning the ph00 jar was about empty so brought some almond spice - - something new I found - - - and making a fresh pot. Come and try it along with me.

Wow, it warmed up a little bit today and got up to 76 - - finally could put the shorts back on - - nice. Got lots done but more to go. OK, let's try the ph00.
.................................................hey, that is different - - like it.

OK, off to win another battle. Later gator,

Bob
Old 01-09-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
22 brrrlow when I went to bed last night. 0 when I got up. Got to +20 today. I'm frantically looking for the suntan lotion.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Im looking for something to thaw me out.
Pretty slow around here today. I actually did some decluttering and made a run to the dump.
I only found two things at the dump worth bringing home so I came out ahead.
They already lock up the dump at night and supposedly they are going to start preventing people from dump diving.
What is this world coming to.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think while we are able to better put up a front to make it look like it doesn't bother us, I find in my own case I can no longer attend grave side services for my friends. I have no problem with the Funeral home services but after seeing so many fine people go down in the prime of life I can no longer handle seeing them put in the ground.
Last time I was in a funeral home was when my friend's grandmother died, same f/h as my grandfather about 7 years prior. Couldn't handle it.
1969 - The supersonic aeroplane Concorde made its first trial flight, at Bristol.
That's an awful short track for getting a plane going that fast, ain't it?
Yeah, I should have said "Can't think of anybody on DTR who isn't an animal lover".
Last year I had to put one of my Sisters newborn goats down because its hind legs were fused.
I only knew it for 15 minutes and it still upset me enough that I buried it in my t-shirt to keep it from getting cold.
Can't imagine the emotional roller coaster you guys who deal with critters every day must go through.
I suspect its may manifest itself into the kind of humor I saw in ER's and ICU's but you don't have the crutch of having a large group of people to lean on.
People assume that if somebody is a Nurse, Doctor, Cop, Soldier or with EMS that they have built up an immunity to pain, death and suffering.
We also assume (or hope) that Farmers have the same immunity to dealing with the daily livestock sagas that inherently happen on farms but I realize that isn't the case.
If I never said it before, as with the many other professions that our DTR members are involved with, I thank you for doing what you do.
Thanks.
Usually when we find something we're so busy we don't have time to think twice about it. But sometimes you think back over the last year or two, remember how you tend to be the one to spot the twins, then you remember that one time. Normally the cows won't let you get within arm's reach, and forget about getting that close to their new calf. Once the calf's been on the ground a few weeks and gets curious she'll let it approach you, but they don't like to get too close either.

Each spring we wean the calves, sort off the better ones for replacements, and 8-10 for feeders, and the rest get sent to town, to be replacements for someone else, or get fed out and butchered. Come spring the mama cows start dropping calves again. Then Chuck, Roast, Din-din, Ground, Round, and company get hauled to the butcher shop in the fall. That's how things are supposed to work. When one dies or has to be put down, some guys just look at the lost profit side of it, but I think the real cattlemen also think about whether she was an old cow who had a good run, or a young one who just couldn't catch a break.

I tried to find a link to this, but can't even find where I found the whole thing at.
It’s What I Do
by Baxter Black

A cowboy is the way he is because he works with stock.
He learned it’s best to ease along
To find the rhythm in their song
And not to fret if days are long ‘cause cows don’t punch a clock.

That separates him from the crowd that keeps a job in town
That stack the boxes all in rows
Or bolt the ***** on radios
But when the evening whistle blows they lay the hammer down.

“A job ain’t done until it’s done,” that’s life down on the farm.
To gather those who tend to stray
To treat the sick on Christmas day
And if she needs your help, to stay. Until she’s safe from harm.

You see, you can’t just quit a cow. Sometimes yer all she’s got.
No reinforcements in the hall
No Nine-One-One to hear her call
Just you. Nobody else, that’s all, to get her through the spot.

His calling is as old as time. It is, will be and was.
Through blizzards, bogs and bob wire fence
He stands against the pestilence
And though he feigns indifference, he’s proud of what he does.

It’s done without a second thought by those who tend the flock
“It’s what I do,” you’ll hear them say.
With no demand for higher pay
And I believe they are that way because they work with stock

Here's his take on Cheryl Crow's "one sheet" proposition:
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Here's his take on Cheryl Crow's "one sheet" proposition.
That was great. I had read a book of his that my Dad had.
Also I have heard him on NPR but never knew that he used to be a large-animal veterinarian in addition to all the other stuff he has done.
Our library has some of his books. Can't think of anything better to read in this weather.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Morning all.

29 degrees here this morning and it feels like a heat wave. Heavy rain for the weekend. That oughta be fun with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Today is Friday, January 10th.

1861 - Florida seceded from the United States.

1870 - John D. Rockefeller incorporated Standard Oil.

1901 - Oil was discovered at the Spindletop oil field near Beaumont, TX.

1911 - Major Jimmie Erickson took the first photograph from an airplane while flying over San Diego, CA.

1920 - The League of Nations ratified the Treaty of Versailles, officially ending World War I with Germany.

1943 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt sailed from Miami, FL, to Trinidad thus becoming the first American President to visit a foreign country during wartime.

1949 - Vinyl records were introduced by RCA (45 rpm) and Columbia (33.3 rpm).

1951 - Donald Howard Rogers piloted the first passenger jet on a trip from Chicago to New York City.

1978 - The Soviet Union launched two cosmonauts aboard a Soyuz capsule for a redezvous with the Salyut VI space laboratory.

1984 - The United States and the Vatican established full diplomatic relations for the first time in more than a century.

1990 - Time Inc. and Warner Communications Inc. completed a $14 billion merger. The new company, Time Warner, was the world's largest entertainment company.

1994 - In Manassas, VA, Lorena Bobbitt went on trial. She had been charged with maliciously wounding her husband John. She was acquitted by reason of temporary insanity.

2000 - It was announced that Time-Warner had agreed to buy America On-line (AOL). It was the largest-ever corporate merger priced at $162 billion. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) approved the deal on December 14, 2000.

2001 - American Airlines agreed to acquire most of Trans World Airlines (TWA) assets for about $500 million. The deal brought an end to the financially troubled TWA.

2003 - North Korea announced that it was withdrawing from the global nuclear arms control treaty and that it had no plans to develop nuclear weapons.

Today's thought:
The highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.

C0ffee & ph00 are ready. Donuts on the counter. I found some 'fuzzy' tuna in the 'frig if you wanna make a sammich.

TOB&F today.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:50 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Morning yall.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Morning it's a heat wave 43 deg. Break out the shorts BBQ and cold adult beverages
Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM

Just a reminder with the temperatures warming up and rain starting to fall that snow on the roof is going to turn into a huge sponge greatly increasing the weight load before it starts to melt.
Del
Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Good morning. Still adjusting the fact that when I say 'good morning' to the good folks here, that it really is morning.

Hate funerals, especially those of friends.

NEfrmhnd, good stuff.

Another fine day here, so what can I say. Still feel bad for those of you who are suffering the bad effects of winter.

Gone. With coffee.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM
DTR Mom

welcome delsilver! thanks for the thought. had to figure out which metal roof ice breakers to use for our roof......not cheap.

hi and bye, hope all is well.

break our the shorts bbq? is that a request TO shorts? heck,I'm all for BBQ anytime anywhere........might even grill this weekend off the porch to stay out of the snow n ice.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Originally Posted by railroaderone
Break out Shorts
I am happy to go break her out but what joint is she in and what did she do to get locked up in the clink??
Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Good afternoon all y'all. DW showed me something on YouTube last night. I don't know any Katy Perry songs but apparently this is done to her song 'Roar'. The best thing is I didn't even know that NE_FRMHND had a creative side. I have it on good authority that this is him and his brothers.

Quick Reply: Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11