Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Chris, Sorry, that's always tough. Feel for you guys.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry for your loss Chris remember the good times and know he is better off.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys

She passed peacefully at 1445, and is now chasing squirrels in heaven. She is resting on a bed of cedar branches under a tree by the pond.

On a more practical note, Im glad I dug a spot for her before the "ARTIC VORTEX" arrived.. ground is frozen about 32 inches down.. I had to expand the hole I had made, and it took a pick axe to do it.
Seems really quite around here now, which is funny because she was a quite dog anyways..

RIP Friend

Name:  002-2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  136.1 KB
Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, hug and pats on the shoulder for you n Diane. very good custodians of the furry one, laugh at the memories. good for healing. post a good pic on the fridge, it helps...

where's the beef? prices low at market for sales but try to buy a steak....
is that much corn going for ethanol that cattle feed is now so expensive?
Chinese exports or what?

glad I got to feel the love from the cranky janitor. best weather report ever.

yes, Cuban food I like! even the beer and clamato.......with lime. masters of mixing foods you wouldn't think of....

mentally busy day. Prayers for those who need it, a girlfriend to keep the NEfarmman warm. toffee phoo for refined tastes, might try peppermint schnapps in my hot chocolate, settling in.......ahhhh
Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Chris, that was one beautiful dog. I am sure she was a good one, too. We think of one of our dogs quite often and when the sorrow lets up, you will find yourself talking and laughing over the funny things that you remember. They get under your skin and you will find yourself scratching that spot often with fond memories. Console yourself knowing she is a lot happier now than hurting and going downhill in a miserable manner. You made the right decision for your, and her, situation.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
RIP Greta....God just got a heck of a squirrel dog
Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Chris, Can't think of anybody on DTR who isn't a dog lover. We feel for you.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Hey, does Minards still let you park the RV overnight in their parking lot?
Don't know. We don't have one. You might be thinking of the Home Depot.
They let people spend the night and the Lowes (out of business) parking lot always has RV's in it.

Originally Posted by Shorts
I'm pretty impressed with all the sandwich shops we've tried. The ham they use is relly good. Don't know where they get it but I like it.
I ripped the Cuban sandwich I had apart and noticed that in addition to thin sliced baked ham they also had thin sliced roast pork.
Double Pig. Gave it a different flavor.

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
even the beer and clamato.......with lime.
About 15 years ago I went out for a few nights with the Caribou Hills Cabin Hoppers for some snowmachining.
Had a group of guys from Texas and LA who had never sledded before.
I had splurged and spent the extra effort of dragging a case of bottled Guinness out to the cabin.
Those yahoos wouldn't drink it without putting Clamato juice in it.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, does Minards still let you park the RV overnight in their parking lot?
I don't see why not. Their lot is bigger than any wally's-mart lot I've seen.
Looking at what some of you are going thru up north reminds me why I moved waaaaay south
I know this is way up north for you, but this picture of the arctic storm front was taken just north of Laredo.

where's the beef? prices low at market for sales but try to buy a steak....
is that much corn going for ethanol that cattle feed is now so expensive?
Chinese exports or what?
Herd rebuilding. Cattle numbers are way low due to droughts over the last several years, and now that it's largely broke, guys are selling fewer of them and keeping more replacements. There was plenty of corn last year, people playing with the markets for a quick buck drove the price to $8. Several "algorithm" (AKA electronic) trading companies got caught putting out a large 'buy' order, then retracting it almost instantly, only keeping it up long enough for others to see it and start to sell, then when all the 'sell' orders popped up, it would drop the price, and they'd buy at the lower price, even if only a few pennies, can really add up. The SEC finally found a a way to detect the pattern of it. They've known it could happen, but til recently couldn't find it. I think 4 companies got nailed by about the end of October. An NCBA official said "welcome to the cattle markets, that's why beef prices don't move, no one uses the boards of trade anymore because of this".
Chris, Can't think of anybody on DTR who isn't a dog lover. We feel for you.
Ever found a new set of twin calves, check them over, and then have to walk away while the mama's bawling at you expecting you to fix the dead one?

Found a pair of Uniroyal Laredo tires in the boss' spare tire pile I am going to toss on the back of my truck for winter. They are 245/75s though. If it handles better I may slam new coil springs up front and see how it looks, and if fuel mileage isn't hurt, stick with the slightly shorter tire in back. And get another rim so I can carry 2 sizes of spare tire. Boss bought a set of "Capitol" al-terrain tires for the whitferd (87 F150) chore truck, so I'll be able to see how they hold up without spending my own money on them. They look like a decent tire. ANYTHING has to be better than those Wrangler Radial go-cart tires that we've been running on it. We have 6 mounted, and usually at least 1 flat. The things are so thin they won't even hold a plug.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Ever found a new set of twin calves, check them over, and then have to walk away while the mama's bawling at you expecting you to fix the dead one?
Yeah, I should have said "Can't think of anybody on DTR who isn't an animal lover".
Last year I had to put one of my Sisters newborn goats down because its hind legs were fused.
I only knew it for 15 minutes and it still upset me enough that I buried it in my t-shirt to keep it from getting cold.
Can't imagine the emotional roller coaster you guys who deal with critters every day must go through.
I suspect its may manifest itself into the kind of humor I saw in ER's and ICU's but you don't have the crutch of having a large group of people to lean on.
People assume that if somebody is a Nurse, Doctor, Cop, Soldier or with EMS that they have built up an immunity to pain, death and suffering.
We also assume (or hope) that Farmers have the same immunity to dealing with the daily livestock sagas that inherently happen on farms but I realize that isn't the case.
If I never said it before, as with the many other professions that our DTR members are involved with, I thank you for doing what you do.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Morning gang - - put fresh ph00 and coffee, grabbing mine and gone. Have a great day..................
Bob
Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Morning coffee is good, we are havering a heat wave here 22 this morning sure beats 3. Got go check in later
Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh Chris, I'm sorry about Greta Sending a big hug to yall.

Morning yall.
Big day here. New bucket of coffee grounds in the coffee maker. Plus we get a new guest bed set and our new mattress delivered today. It is wild times at our place.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Morning gang. Will be nice today and stop at 'gang' and not define what kind of a gang hang out here on DTR and especially in the breakroom.

Chris, that really suxs about Greta. Been there, done that, so know all too well have this kind of situation tears one up inside. Remember the good times.

Bob, thanks for making the coffee and ph00. Be careful and do not do this too often or else that lazy and over paid janitor will start thinking that this is your permanent job.

NEfrmhand, Laredo is not that far north of me. I often drive through there. It is a 9 hour drive from home. A 12 hour drive to San Antonio. That includes all stops and the inevitable delay at the border. Nice picture of the front.

Another great day is breaking, similar to yesterday. Was outside in shorts yesterday and today looks like it will be the same. Love these cloudless, blue sky dawns.

Grabbing a cup of Bob's coffee and heading out to try to do something constructive.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My thoughts are with Chris and Diane this morning in the loss of their Greta.

Still below 0 here this morning. It's getting old. I hate when my nostrils stick together when I breathe in.

Today is Thursday, January 9th.

1861 - The state of Mississippi seceded from the United States.

1894 - The New England Telephone and Telegraph Company put the first battery-operated switchboard into operation in Lexington, MA.

1902 - New York State introduced a bill to outlaw flirting in public.

1929 - The Seeing Eye was incorporated in Nashville, TN. The company's purpose was to train dogs to guide the blind.

1936 - The United States Army adopted the semi-automatic rifle.

1940 - Television was used for the first time to present a sales meeting to convention delegates in New York City.

1969 - The supersonic aeroplane Concorde made its first trial flight, at Bristol.

1972 - The ocean liner Queen Elizabeth was destroyed by fire in Hong Kong harbor.

1984 - Clara Peller was first seen by TV viewers in the "Where's the Beef?" commercial campaign for Wendy's.

1986 - Kodak got out of the instant camera business after 10 years due to a loss in a court battle that claimed that Kodak copied Polaroid patents.

1991 - U.S. secretary of state Baker and Iraqi foreign minister Aziz met for 61/2 hours in Geneva, but failed to reach any agreement that would forestall war in the Persian Gulf.

1995 - Russian cosmonaut Valeri Poliakov, 51, completed his 366th day in outer space aboard the Mir space station, breaking the record for the longest continuous time spent in outer space.

2002 - The U.S. Justice Department announced that it was pursuing a criminal investigation of Enron Corp. The company had filed for bankruptcy on December 2, 2001.

2003 - Archaeologists announced that they had found five more chambers in the tomb of Qin Shihuang, China's first emperor. The rooms were believed to cover about 750,000 square feet.

Today's thought:
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.

TOB&F today!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
People assume that if somebody is a Nurse, Doctor, Cop, Soldier or with EMS that they have built up an immunity to pain, death and suffering.
I think while we are able to better put up a front to make it look like it doesn't bother us, I find in my own case I can no longer attend grave side services for my friends. I have no problem with the Funeral home services but after seeing so many fine people go down in the prime of life I can no longer handle seeing them put in the ground.

Quick Reply: Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11