Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, so as I listen to the weather from the US, I would love to make some testosteroney comments about tough it up butter-cup but that wouldn't be right. In my part of Canada we don't have hurricanes, F3 or above tornadoes (usually) or temps over 100F. You know what though, it is all about what you are used to and equipped for. I have lived in Canada all my life and Alberta for the last 30 years. I am used to the cold, I have the clothes and other equipment for the weather but I am unequipped for major heat. So, just like temps over 100F and hurricanes will kill a northern wimp like me, for those of you in the deep freezes, be safe. -40F will kill you and do so quick!!!
The father of a good friend of mine died last March because he made a bad choice. They went for a spring drive in the foothills of the Rockies - it wasn't even that cold a night (probably 20F or so). The Bronco got stuck in a snow drift about 4pm. Dad decided to walk for help. Police found mom and friend safe but chilled and hungry in Bronco in the morning and found dad frozen to death in a snow drift.
The point to this little story is, don't mess with Mother Nature, she is an unforgiving mistress. If you are in a cold zone and you have to head out tonight, assume you are going to get stranded. Even if your vehicle is in good condition and you warm it before you go out, pack warm coats, hats, mittens and boots. Even better include a couple of candles, some bottled water and a granola bar or too.

Be safe and don't get dead!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for the drive to Anchorage or Fairbanks ice, bad weather or an avalanche can gets you stranded for awhile.
Sitting in a dead car at -30 without any supplies makes you wish you had stayed home.
During the winter we keep a lot of stuff in the car that others might laugh at.

However, we have a lot of new to Alaska people who's idea of an emergency kit is to carry a cell phone.
Unfortunately there is a lot of road that doesn't get a signal and a cell phone wont keep you warm.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hot coffee and phoo on, help yourself to the hot oatmeal and grits...stay warm folks remember to dress in layers, your underwear goes UNDER the rest of your clothes

-30 here but feels like 75 here next to the pellet stove
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
... your underwear goes UNDER the rest of your clothes
THAT'S what I've been doing wrong!

Hey Lary, do me a favor? When you drop your donut with the sprinklies on the floor under your desk, please don't put it back in the box and grab a clean one. It gets dirt all over the other donuts! Brush the dirt off first!

It is Tuesday, January 7th.

1782 - The Bank of North America opened in Philadelphia. It was the first commercial bank in the United States.

1789 - Americans voted for the electors that would choose George Washington to be the first U.S. president.

1887 - Thomas Stevens completed the first worldwide bicycle trip. He started his trip in April 1884. Stevens and his bike traveled 13,500 miles in almost three years time.

1894 - W.K. Dickson received a patent for motion picture film.

1904 - The distress signal "CQD" was established. Two years later "SOS" became the radio distress signal because it was quicker to send by wireless radio.

1927 - Transatlantic telephone service began between New York and London. 31 calls were made on this first day.

1942 - The World War II siege of Bataan began.

1953 - U.S. President Harry Truman announced the development of the hydrogen bomb.

1954 - The Duoscopic TV receiver was unveiled this day. The TV set allowed the watching of two different shows at the same time.

1959 - The United States recognized Fidel Castro's new government in Cuba.

1968 - The cost of a U.S. first class stamp was raised to 6 cents.

1975 - OPEC agreed to raise crude oil prices by 10%, which began a time of world economic inflation.

1979 - Vietnamese forces captured the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh, overthrowing the Khmer Rouge government.

1980 - U.S. President Jimmy Carter signed legislation that authorized $1.5 billion in loans for the bail out of Chrysler Corp.

1990 - The Leaning Tower of Pisa was closed to the public. The accelerated rate of "leaning" raised fears for the safety of its visitors.

1996 - One of the biggest blizzards in U.S. history hit the eastern states. More than 100 deaths were later blamed on the severe weather.

1998 - Former White House intern Monica Lewinsky signed an affidavit denying that she had an affair with U.S. President Clinton.

1999 - U.S. President Clinton went on trial before the Senate. It was only the second time in U.S. history that an impeached president had gone to trial. Clinton was later acquitted of perjury and obstruction of justice charges.

2002 - Microsoft Corp. chairman Bill Gates introduced a new device code named Mira. The device was tablet-like and was a cross between a handheld computer and a TV remote control.

2009 - Russia shut off all gas supplies to Europe through Ukraine. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin publicly endorsed the move and urged greater international involvement in the energy dispute.

2010 - Apple's iPad was unveiled.

Today's thought:
Politics: from the Greek 'poli', meaning many. 'tics', blood sucking parasites.

Good coffee this morning, it has a certain bite to it!

TOB&F please!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning yall. Hope everyone got through the night with no serious problems with the weather. Get some hot coffee in you.

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Laugh it up Funny's cousin 'Not Funny'.....
Aww come on, it's 48* here

Ok, so as I listen to the weather from the US, I would love to make some testosteroney comments about tough it up butter-cup but that wouldn't be right because Shorts is aggressive. In my part of Canada we don't have hurricanes, F3 or above tornadoes (usually) or temps over 100F. You know what though, it is all about what you are used to and equipped for. I have lived in Canada all my life and Alberta for the last 30 years. I am used to the cold, I have the clothes and other equipment for the weather but I am unequipped for major heat. So, just like temps over 100F and hurricanes will kill a northern wimp like me, for those of you in the deep freezes, be safe. -40F will kill you and do so quick!!!
The father of a good friend of mine died last March because he made a bad choice. They went for a spring drive in the foothills of the Rockies - it wasn't even that cold a night (probably 20F or so). The Bronco got stuck in a snow drift about 4pm. Dad decided to walk for help. Police found mom and friend safe but chilled and hungry in Bronco in the morning and found dad frozen to death in a snow drift.
The point to this little story is, don't mess with Shorts, she is an unforgiving mistress and there are direct flights from MIA to YYC. If you are in a cold zone and you have to head out tonight, do not taunt her. Even if your vehicle is in good condition and you warm it before you get out of town, pack warm coats, hats, mittens and as many weapons as you can. Even better include a couple of grenades, some Molotov cocktails and a C4 bar or too.

Be safe and don't get dead!!!!
FIFY
Old 01-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

I am pretty sure that isn't how I wrote that originally Shorts
Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

I am pretty sure that isn't how I wrote that originally Shorts
Lol had to poke you a little bit. Good reminder about the weather & Mother Nature. It goes from run of the mill to serious in no time. Lately I've been reading about some hiking trails out in Big Bend. Same thing, things turn in an instant and all of a sudden the situation is life threatening. Be prepared as best as possible.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
your underwear goes UNDER the rest of your clothes
Oh yea?? Tell that to Steve Reeves.........
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Woke up here to an Eskimo wanting me to move to a warmer climate.

It's -3 air temp now don't even want to know the wind chill. Got to head out latter trucks been plugged in all night hopefully it starts. Everybody hunker down cuddle up with someone you care of and stay warm.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Mornin. A rainy morning here in Corvallis. I'm hearing reports of some freezing drizzle in Portland.
Though we don't get hurricanes or tornadoes either, we do get winds equal to them. Most of us are prepared, but a lot of new comers are clueless. Same thing here in Oregon. The power went out in the hotel and surrounding area and people were just confused, especially in the hotel. People were running out and sitting in their cars. I was the only one that had a flashlight.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM
DTR Mom

Hello DTR faithful! all you lookie lews too! post! we really won't pick on you.

been adventurous and dutiful. back to my warm house, tenant happy.

January 27th in 1977 was in Buffalo , outside when the blizzard hit. walking home tripping over the street traffic signals. yeah, lake effect. longest three miles of my life. living in Buffalo, we carried socks,blanket, space wrap, tuna, jerky,shovel, votive candles and varnished matches. lighters don't work in zero temps. everyone looked alike with those blue hooded parkas. we loved our cars before it was cool.....

man, I would not deal well with a tornado. listened to the stuff hitting the metal roof last night, expected a disaster. all is calm and fit. picked up the heavy skylight covering from the far yard. wow.

hot chocolate for the shivering southerners....with butterscotch schnapps in it. ahhhhhhh
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Scuse me, please - - move over - - HOT ph00 before I talk.....................................AHHHH, that's better.

OK, think I might make it now.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Oh, cry me a river! 55 and you're complainin'! We're 55 here too... 55 BELOW with the windchill!
Thanks for your note of comfort and cheer - - we are freezing man. Hate this stuff. We got down to 38 in the lanai last night - - orchids were so happy to spend the night in the pool bathroom - - smiled and told me goodmorning when I looked in on them this morning. Only a high of 52 projected for today and another cold one tonight of 40ish. Sorry, TallGuy - - I will take 90 degrees any day to this stuff. You put clothes on for the cold, we take them off for the warm days - - plus everything is air conditioned. At least being outside doesn't kill you - - well, unless you stay sitting in the sun too long without all those clothes on and contract cancer. At least while you are waiting to succumb to the cancer you can enjoy the porpoises, the birds, green grass and flowers and more sunshine and walks on the beach and all that good stuff.

Great bowl game last night - - thought for a while Florida was going blow it. That last minute touchdown reminded me of the Auburn game that got them into the bowl - - last minute wild touchdown. Interesting. Good game but sure a nail biter.

Update on Seattle and the granddaughter - - all the heavy meds are done, she is on testing and setting her up on maintenance. They did have to give her more blood to offset the effects of that set of saturation treatments. Now watching for everything to settle out in hopes of releasing her from the proximity of the hospital so they can return to the island. They can't wait. So, keep praying for a stabilization in her testing and strength so they can leave. Thanks for your remembering them and her - - they sure needed it and still do. Also need that house to sell.

Bob

OK, refill and go face these frigid temperatures and get something done.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thought I made it through unsacaved but drain line on the upstairs furnace froze and is now pouring water into one of the upstairs bedrooms. Could have been worse I had the truck plugged up and it still neded the grid heater to start. Dam cold.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Howdy Heidi, morning all

Originally Posted by Shorts
FIFY

Drive by. Got important things to do. No time to hang out with you delinquents.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
Drive by. Got important things to do. No time to hang out with you delinquents.
OK, be that way. Go ahead and ignore us. I know, you have to go clean the swimming pool and sweep the lanai, pull weeds in the flowers and fertilize the lawn. Go ahead - - see if we care. ............................

Ventured out of the house for the first time since getting sick. Boy, don't take a credit card when you go to Costco - - just take the amount of cash you can afford to spend. Amazing how much you can spend when you go in there. Got some good buys and yummies - - and meds - - and toys - - and - - well, you know. Bought some extra large Depends for Scotty - - boy, Costco sized box, add to that the size to fit that rear axle of Scotty and you have a huge box. ..................................That should make him happy once he can dig out of where he is in Indiana and make it back home.

Later -- snacking on some new goodies - - ummm, yum.

Quick Reply: Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11