Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

want a career change??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want a career change??

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...utos-68034.htm

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Auto dealers face mechanics shortfall

Stereotypes keep many from entering field, creating annual shortage of 35,000 technicians

Despite concerns about work being sent overseas and a jobless economic recovery, car dealerships can’t find enough mechanics to fill their service bays.

Dealers face an annual shortage of 35,000 technicians through 2010, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. A recent survey found that each dealer will need to hire an average of two mechanics within the next six months, up one from a year earlier.

A stereotypical image of the job as dirty and low paying keeps some young people from considering the career, even though mechanics earn good pay and have great job security, and most dealerships these days are clean and comfortable. Adding to the shortage: Many older mechanics are retiring instead of taking the continued training needed to work on today’s tech-laden cars.

“At a time when all of us are hearing a lot about a jobless recovery ... auto dealers are hanging out a big ’help wanted’ sign,” says James Willingham, a car dealer and chairman of Automotive Retailing Today, a manufacturer/dealer venture aimed at recruiting and training mechanics. “It’s an employee’s market in my industry.”

To attack the problem, car dealers, automakers, the Labor Department and the U.S. military will announce today an effort to persuade former soldiers to consider careers as auto mechanics. The program will link local car dealers with veterans and military aide offices to post job openings, training offers and information on using military education benefits.

ART also has set up a Web site, www.autojobstoday.org, with information on job requirements, salary and benefits, training, statistics and links to job openings.

Basic training to become an auto technician takes at least 54 weeks and costs about $18,000, says Tina Miller-Steinke, a spokeswoman for Universal Technical Institute, which trains auto, marine and motorcycle technicians. She says 60 percent of students get tuition loans or grants.

The national average salary for an auto technician in 2002 was $41,588, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association. The highest-paid technicians earned $120,000 in 2002, ART says.

Students must pass the Automotive Service Excellence exam to become a certified technician. Veterans often can transfer military experience into credit toward eligibility to take the exam.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:14 PM

good post spots. lots of good info in their.

ive been toying with the idea of making a career outta that type of work and i can use all the info i can get ahold of

thanks
jeff
Old 02-19-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The problem is the dealerships don't want to pay anything and the mechanics loses money on warranty work because of the time allocated. The highest payed mechanics are usually master mechanics at either Mercedes, BMW or Porsche.
I know of several mechanics that have left dealerships for this reason and setup their own shops.

MikeyB
Old 02-19-2004, 09:05 AM

After reading numerous post's, I am confused. How does a mechanics pay work? I am guessing not hourly since warranty problems dont pay as much. I am a consultant, I have to account for /bill all of my hours everyday. Pay rate is still the same..more hours i bill, the more i get paid.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:47 AM

Sorry wouldn't want to come home everyday smelling like diesel and motor oil. Most women have an adverse reaction to the oil under your nails and the smell of diff oil as your calogne. I don't mind wrenching on my baby but wouldn't do that for a living for someone else.

-CM
Old 02-19-2004, 07:20 PM

To be honest with you, after being exposed to the business for a while ... I would rather work as an independent mechanic doing under the table side work for a living than working for a dealership.

If you take care of people and do quality work, the word spreads very quickly and you can have a pretty regular customer base in no time. It also helps if your local dealerships and mechanic shops take advantage of their customers (somewhat of a problem here in the Keys).

The tricky part is getting the up to date tools and training. Some of these new vehicles have a lot of potential headaches to deal with.

PISTOL
Old 02-19-2004, 07:58 PM

actually im going to school for Diesel Tech, Whats an average wage for this occupation?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:59 PM

the top mechanics get all the cream work like brakes and tune ups. they usually get book time which may be 4-6 hours for a complete job when it actually only takes them 1.5 to 2 hours to do the job so in a day they can do 4 to 5 of these and make 20 to 24 hrs of work since they are payed on book time. depending on the shop the new guys get all the warrenty work which is usually not as generous as the other work and if they are working on commision arelucky to break even. a good dealer will give these techs a base pluss commision till they get senority and start getting the cream work.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Banned

PistolWhipt,
You say you would like a career change, but the way you would go at it, yours would be spent doing service to BIG BUB-BA, in the state poky. Do you really think it is alright to have a business and have it's main source of income, come from under the table??? What the heck makes you think you are above paying taxes like everyone else?? You are messed-up!, It would be ok for me and the rest of you "customers" to work and pay taxes, but not you, is that right? Gee thanks, that was awfully big of you to knock ten bucks off my bill. I would not support you or any other business that wanted it's payments under the table. It's called fraud, and where I live it is illegal. And if I knowingly support your business with my patronage, that would make me a accomplice to your tax evasion. Do you even bother to put out a FLAG on Independence Day? Taxes are something Everyone has to pay. You enjoy all the freedom that the rest of us do, but for some reason you are special and should not have to pay like the rest.

I am sorry, but you are not Special. You are just Cheap, and a sorry individual. I would gladly pay any legitimate business twice the amount, before I would do business with you.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GEEZE!!! Dont getcher panties in a knot.

I would have to say that if it wasn't for "under the table" work in the last few years, you would suffer from yet another statistic claiming bankruptcy and ultimately forcing you to pay for my screw-up (not planning accordingly with my finances) I do what I can to make things work, if I have do yard work and general odd jobs while on unemployment so I can put food on my table.... so be it. Taxes, my health, or you having to pay taxes while I am not (on some of my income) comes a close third to what is important to me. I have to put food on the table, a roof over my head.

I think that 'uncle sam' gets more than his share of my money and any that I can get and him not know about it is a bonus for me. If you dont like that fact...... why dont you donate some more of that hard earned money so 'uncle sam' isn't forced to raise taxes.....again. We give in and say 'OK tax us some more' and they spend 20% more than what the proposed tax increase would have giving them... then they scream for more money. See the cycle??? Most of us are tired of working and having approx. half of our check taken from us in various forms of with-holdings. (SS, state, fedral, working dues{dont start with me and unions.. I like mine} takes 42percent of my check)

Now making 40K a year.... cash money. Thats a little different ball game. I dont think my cajones are large enough to pull that off. I like being able to do what I want... when I want to. Besides I dont think BUBBA and myself would get along.

JMHO and I am not trying to slam anyone.... just my beliefs is all.
Mark
Old 02-21-2004, 03:51 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
To get this back on topic: How about potential immigrants (like me) who would like to work as vehicle tech in the US?
Anybody got an idea as to where I can get infos? How to get certification for the US? Jobs in the performance industry? Or opening a shop as an immigrant or temporary immigrant (Don't know whether I would want to live in the US for the rest of my life)

AlpineRAM
Old 02-21-2004, 07:41 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Marcus, maybe you can contact Cummins, Jasper, Cat, even Mercedes or BMW (US), and find out what tech schools they like to hire from. Contact those schools about any refresher or recertification courses they offer. Here is a link to a local engine builder.
Don

http://aisengines.com/
Old 02-21-2004, 09:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yknot-
I don't think Pistolwhipt is saying that he would or does work for under the table cash. The way I understand his statement, is that he would rather work for himself on the side for cash under the table, rather than work for a dealership at all. The downside to this, he states, is keeping up (or not having) with the technology and having all the correct hand, power and diagnostic equipment available to mechanics at dealers.

Mike
Old 02-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DF5152
the top mechanics get all the cream work like brakes and tune ups. they usually get book time which may be 4-6 hours for a complete job when it actually only takes them 1.5 to 2 hours to do the job so in a day they can do 4 to 5 of these and make 20 to 24 hrs of work since they are payed on book time. depending on the shop the new guys get all the warranty work which is usually not as generous as the other work and if they are working on commission are lucky to break even. a good dealer will give these techs a base plus commission till they get seniority and start getting the cream work.
Might happen in some places but not where I worked. I was EEC certified (Ford) so I usually got the headaches. Intermittent problems, driveability problems, wiring problems etc. These don't pay well at warranty rate at all. That i why I left the trade. The lower educated guys were doing all the gravy work ie brakes, tuneups etc. With flatrate or piecework (you get paid a book rate for a certain job regardless how short or long it takes you to do it) honest techs turn into thieves. Some sell unnecessary work, some don't do the work that the customer has requested. It was to the point I get dishonest to make good money, or leave. I chose to leave.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is not alot of money to be made anymore in the dealership field. UNLESS! You really know your stuff, have ALL the diagnostic equipment at hand and the training to use it quickly. You are not going to get rich in the warrenty field. If you are going into the fiels at a dealer you need to "specialize" in one field and one field only! i.e. Cadilac, BMW, Mercedez or porche, these are the only ones you will make a living at. Up here they make between 85k to 120k. If you work at Ford, Dodge, Chevy you earn around 25k to 45k. I on the other hand went to the darker side of life and work on Heavy Equipment. Does it stink? yes. Do you work with junk? yes. Do I love my job? YES! I work for the City, earn 45k a year + bennies and 2 retirements. I get paid by the hour no matter if I get one job done in a day or 5 jobs done. We are currently behind the national average in wages, but are working on it through the Union's. Job security + $22.38hr + Bennies + retirement + a great group of guy's at our shop = not a bad gig in my mind.

As for under the table work. Here is "my own opinion". If you need to make a few extra bucks on the side to make ends meet, i.e. FEED THE FAMILY AND PAY BILLS, GO FOR IT! I have done it myself and see no problem with it. If you "OPEN UP SHOP" for under the table work to "LIVE ON", Big no no in my mind, unckle sam wants his share of the cash too and if you get caught you will pay. I pay my taxes every year, ..

Y-KNOT, I think you were a little harsh on Pistol and a auppoligy is in order, everyone has thier own view's/way's/thought's and it doesn't make anyone right or wrong, we are ALL differant.

My .02

Quick Reply: want a career change??