Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Walmart syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jfpointer
I'll tell you who I think kills local businesses worse than Wal-Mart does: Starbucks. Horrible, nasty, overpriced coffee, but for some reason all the yuppies drink it.
I'll second that! That stuff can't even be called 'coffee', I don't know what it really is, but it ain't coffee. Warm battery acid with a brown crayon dipped in it maybe?

chaikwa.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My big ambition in life when I retire is to become THE greeter at Walmart. "Hey, step right up here, welcome to Walmart, grab a cart and go in there and stimulate the economy"!!!!

I'll bet that you get to meet a lot of interesting people doing that.

Not only that, but I can park my trailer and Cummins in the parking lot at night.

If I get fired, I can move on to the next Walmart.

John (DH)
Old 11-21-2004, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by FiverBob
Well hallelujah - - someone else that appreciates good coffee. I hate that stuff - - when I smell it in the airports it makes me sick. I always think something nasty has burned. You're a good man, Pointer.

GuzzlerBob
Back at ya, Bob. I don't like a bunch of extra stuff in my coffee, so I don't drink those high-dollar frappa, cappu, mocha whats-its, just good old coffee-flavored coffee. And they just don't do that very well at all.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another coffee comment:

On a recent business trip to Europe, I grew very weary at not being able to find drinkable coffee. So, when I arrived back in the good old USA, I went immediately to a Starbucks booth in the airport. I asked for a cup of coffee but they rattled off a list of their flavors. I said "no thanks, I want just a cup of regular American coffee." They said "we don't have any of that!" As it turned out, I had to wait until I got to a local McDonalds to get coffee that wouldn't make me spit up!

As for Walmart (Sam's Club, Costco & others), I now buy stuff that I would never get otherwise because it's so inexpensive. Yep, it's more than I may need but then I don't wear holey socks any more!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Banned

Starbucks does have black coffee, and it's got a lot better flavor and more kick than the watered down junk they pour you everywhere else.

Forrest
Old 11-21-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
Starbucks does have black coffee, and it's got a lot better flavor and more kick than the watered down junk they pour you everywhere else.Forrest
You somehow stumbled across a good one, then. Every Starbuck's I've ever been in, they might as well give me a cup of hot water for all the flavor it has.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:01 PM

Wal-Mart number 2 is being built in Findlay right now. So far small businesses have been doing alright, but we'll see if having another one changes that any.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by jfpointer
You somehow stumbled across a good one, then. Every Starbuck's I've ever been in, they might as well give me a cup of hot water for all the flavor it has.
I found a way to drink the stuff. I ask them to fill the cup half full of hot water first, then after inspection to make sure it really is half full, I get them to top it up with their coffee. You can't do it the other way round, because they always overfill the cup past the halfway mark before they put the water in. It turns out quite nice that way.

John
Old 11-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by John H
I found a way to drink the stuff. I ask them to fill the cup half full of hot water first, then after inspection to make sure it really is half full, I get them to top it up with their coffee. You can't do it the other way round, because they always overfill the cup past the halfway mark before they put the water in. It turns out quite nice that way.

John
Or do like I do.
Get one of these for about 15 bucks and fill it up at home before you leave for work.

I just can't see paying as much for one cup of coffee as I pay for a whole can.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:58 PM

Got that right... And the stuff we make is a lot tastier!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:04 PM

Uh huh. And whats in that thermos besides Juan Valdez's favorite bean juice?

As for Walmart, I really try not to shop there. And while I fully support free enterprise (and was an active participant) I have some issues with "The Walmart Way".

If you have a Walmart in your town, congratulations you now have 150 or so minimum wage jobs. Those people will definitely jump start your local economy. Alllll that disposable income they've got to throw around. This type of wage structure of course attracts the kind of worker that many on this board seem to disparage... low education, not much ambition, lacking in social and customer relations skills.

Now, the town 25 miles away without the Walmart, they've got a larger problem. That local merchant who supplied you with credit when you were tight? No more because if he is going to try and compete he has to lower his prices and with the decrease in profit, he can no longer afford to carry any credit. It cost money he doesn't have now. Walmart is cash only. Credit is only supplied by major credit cards. And when he won't offer that credit, you might as well shop at...Walmart.

Service? Don't feed me that crap. I read the posts in here. Local supplier want's 35 bucks for his widget and 15 people tell the poster he's being ripped off. They found it at Earl's Online Emporium for 24.95 on sale this month. Maybe it's made of die-cast, not forged, and its not as durable or finished, maybe it's identical but it's 10 bucks cheaper. And the insinuation is that you gotta be an idiot to patronize the local guy who is just trying to make a living, and maybe employ 3 or 4 people.

Now when those 3 or 4 get laid off and the local store closes, down goes your tax base. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if it costs $100,000 to run a community, and there are 250 taxable properties you have an average of $4000. when there are only 200 left it's $5000 each. The town down the road doesn't care... they've got the Walmart.

The best part is that now Walmart has a much larger pool of unemployed people to choose from. Remember where they said "we'll only pay this much for that TV."? Now they go to the legislature and say " It is costing us too much to operate here. There's going to have to be a reduction in that minimum wage or we're pulling out." Who's gonna fill that void? Nobody's got any money to work with, they've been working for Walmart for subsistence wages for years now and their savings are non-existant.

Slippery slope fallacy? Maybe. But it certainly fits with the whole Walmart philosophy of business. So as long as we live in free countries, you in yours, me in mine, I will only say this. You vote with your wallet as to what kind of lifestyle you want for your kids and I'll vote for the one I want.

Sorry for the length. Rick

Old 11-22-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
Or do like I do.
Get one of these for about 15 bucks and fill it up at home before you leave for work.
I just can't see paying as much for one cup of coffee as I pay for a whole can.
Unfortunately they don't like anyone carrying those through airports anymore That's where I find I'm stuck with having to buy Starbucks coffee.

John
Old 11-22-2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Nevada
Not a chance, the math just doesn't work out. Perhaps 10% of the Chinese work for Wal Mart.

10% of all Chinese would be over 100 milllion people! Walmart only import about 10% of what they sell from China.

Brian Elfert
Old 11-22-2004, 03:13 PM

Thank you greatwhite, it's nice to see somebody gets it.

Jim
(A small business owner)
Old 11-22-2004, 06:03 PM

Greatwhite, I could not have said it any better. Just a couple of things about Wal Mart when is the last time you saw Ole Glory flying at one of their stores------NEVER. Secondly there was a special on Front Line the other nite about their employment practices in China they pay their employees sub standard wages and work them long hours. It boils down to this way of thinking"Don't give them more money, just give them more hours"
Great way to do business. I will always shop the local merchant even if it cost me a little more I think it pays off in the long run. JMHO

Jim

Quick Reply: Walmart syndrome