Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Walmart syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There was actually an excellent show on the Wal-Mart issue on public television a couple of days ago. I'm sure it will repeat, so you might look for it.

Wal-Mart has become exceptionally efficient, and such a huge retailer that they have flipped the balance of power (from manufacturer to retailer). Ordinarily a TV company (for example) will build a product and pick a price at which they will offer it to wholesalers or retail chains (if they are competitive, it will sell), but Wal-Mart is so huge they can basically tell a company what product they want, and what they will pay for it. All of this drives down cost, which is the free market at it's finest. It was bad for Rubbermaid, though, when they tried to pass on a cost increase (resin prices rose) and everyone but Wal-Mart agreed to the price increase, but that is the way it goes...

The flip side, though, is after Clinton signed a free trade agreement with China (supposidly to open up China's growing economy to US goods) Wal-Mart found that it can have higher profit margins and lower prices by importing most of its stuff... Many American companies that supplied Wal-Mart also had to move operations to China, apparenlty unable to build a product here for what Wal-Mart would pay.

Here's where I'm likely to flame some people off: I'm all for the free market, when we are competing on a level playing field. China's currency is artificially low compared to the dollar, and China's workers are powerless and have few rights. Unless the goal is to have American workers paid a couple bucks a day, I don't think we should have such an open trade policy. If that means the end of the $45 DVD player, then I say "so be it", I'll either pay more, or live without it if it if I have to to have one built by someone who makes a living wage.

Some "experts" see this as good for America, that people will spend less on their TV and have more money that will go into the economy elsewhere. That's fine, unless the person uses the savings to buy a DVD player from China too, or a burger on the way home from Wal-Mart (Flipped by someone who doesn't earn enough to ever own a house, car, or support a family).

Just my .02.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
I feel for ya that you haven't known any better than Lowes, but I'll pray that a Home Depot opens up in your town...

Lowes is overpriced, and doesn't cater to professionals...

Forrest
OTOH, for Joe Blow homeowner, Lowe's is a better place than Home Depot, and I usually find better prices there, too.

Back on topic (somewhat) - I wonder if the democrats have drawn up plans for small business who have been run out of business by Wal-mart... call it "Wal-mart relief"... Since the Demo's feel that it's always someone ELSE'S fault...
Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Eskimo
OTOH, for Joe Blow homeowner, Lowe's is a better place than Home Depot, and I usually find better prices there, too.

their prices seem to be higher on everything I've ever compared, and they're just not a "user friendly" store... they scowl at me when I walk out the "IN" door or in the "OUT" door no carport over the contractor's entrance, etc.

even before I did remodeling for a living I couldn't stand the overall vibe... Home Depot is much more "user friendly" IMHO.

now, so as not to be considered a total thread-jacker, I think Wal-Mart is an inevitable thing in our "free market"... I don't see it as good or bad... yes it hurts some small business owners, but it seems to help a lot of people too.

I know I shop there often enough in DFW... when I'm out in smaller towns while on vacation, that's just "the place to go".

it's an imperfect system, and I can think of a lot of other things to complain about before I'd complain about WalMart

Forrest
Old 11-18-2004, 12:13 PM

I personally have a"love-hate" relationship with Walmart. It's open 24 hours, has almost everything you need, and the prices are low compared with the mom and pop style stores. However, it's always crowded, the parking lot is an accident waiting to happen, there are never enough check-outs open, and at least 50% of the staff are on the idiot level.

That being said, when I go there I know what I'm getting into and try to get in and out quickly. I think on the whole it's a good store and like others have said, in a capitalistic system they have the same right to run a store as anyone else. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I got my info off of MSNBC.com

Kmart to acquire Sears in $11 billion deal
Surprise merger will create the nation's third-largest retailer

Gregory Bull / AP
Kmart chairman Edward Lampert will be the chairman of Sears Holdings.
The Associated Press
Updated: 6:41 p.m. ET Nov. 17, 2004NEW YORK - A resurgent Kmart, home of the blue light special, is buying the once-dominant Sears department store chain in a surprising $11 billion gamble it is counting on to help both better compete with Wal-Mart and other big-box retailers.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That merger is a bit confusing.

Kmart filed bankrupty (or a form thereof) a couple years ago.
Sears jumped in and bought a bunch of stores, giving Kmart enough cash to stay in business.
Kmart also closed a bunch of stores.

Now, Kmart turns around and buys out Sears.
They are calling it a merger though.

As to the Walmart question, I don't like them.

I don't know if it was the time of day, time of year or what, but the few times I've gone into a Walmart, it looked like a trailer park in a tornado.
Crap everywhere, horrible smell, half dressed dirty children running amok.
Everyone that worked there was short a few cards in their deck, and the prices on what I was going for didn't seem that low.

It was like I stepped out of Utah into Virginia Hill Country.
(no offense Virginians, just creating a mental picture)

These were both older traditional Walmarts.
I haven't been in the new Super Walmarts that have sprung up in the area yet,
but driving by, the parking lot is always overflowing, always a fender bender in the middle of it.

I'll shop elsewhere thanks.

phox
Old 11-18-2004, 01:26 PM

SH,
I stand corrected on Kmart.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:27 PM

Gee Phox, you painted the perfect pitcure of one of our Walmarts. You forgot to mention the loss of most of the teeth.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I actually look forward to going into a Walmart during the busy Christmas shopping times.

Full CONTACT shopping has become one of my favorite past times.

Its amazing what a man and a cart on a mission can accomplish.

My family tends to "GO THE OTHER WAY" when I have the cart.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:01 PM

I love Walmart! I do avoid the one that is closest (5 miles or so)to me though because it does look like Phox describes... Man that place is nasty!! I drive about 25 miles to one of the "other" Walmarts that was actually the first one in the state (at least I think it was). It's really clean and nice in there! Besides, they sell Delo for cheap!

Tony
Old 11-18-2004, 05:11 PM

When they built the one in town it was the 3rd Largest in the World. Just what we needed in our county .

it hasn't hurt anyone that I know of yet, All the little groceries out in the country are still open, and doing well, so I think it's good for the community. At least it keeps the "trash" from shopping where I like to.

Only thing I go in there for is music, and a late night shotgun shell emergency . Forgot about the Really cheap throw-away tools and endless array of useless car products that i tend to browse through .

Chris
Old 11-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by jfpointer
I'll tell you who I think kills local businesses worse than Wal-Mart does: Starbucks. Horrible, nasty, overpriced coffee, but for some reason all the yuppies drink it.
Well hallelujah - - someone else that appreciates good coffee. I hate that stuff - - when I smell it in the airports it makes me sick. I always think something nasty has burned. You're a good man, Pointer.

GuzzlerBob
Old 11-18-2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Amos
I personally have a"love-hate" relationship with Walmart. It's open 24 hours, has almost everything you need, and the prices are low compared with the mom and pop style stores. However, it's always crowded, the parking lot is an accident waiting to happen, there are never enough check-outs open, and at least 50% of the staff are on the idiot level.

That being said, when I go there I know what I'm getting into and try to get in and out quickly. I think on the whole it's a good store and like others have said, in a capitalistic system they have the same right to run a store as anyone else. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with this post. When it comes to parking I don't take my ctd but drive my 2wd toyota tacoma.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:00 PM

Wal-mart is huge deal in my town.We have that, Amana/Goodman and Copperweld and thats it.We used to have a Levis Stratus factory but left for the south of the border about 8 years ago.We have about 28,000 in my whole county so Wal-Mart is a big deal.Look at this way, we have a county wide High School and we 1,500 people there so we ant no big city.Everybody works at Wal-Mart (I put in a appacation last week)As far as I can tell it didn't really put anybody out of business and everything seems to fine.

The only way a small business can compete with a larger business is they supply something that the larger company doesn't or isn"t made as well.Thats the first thing my welding teacher said to us the first day I was in his class.He had made a really good business (welding) in 7 years, sold it and nowjust teachs for the hell of it.He made things that CopperWeld couldn't make or wouldn't make.The last year he had his business we had a contract making assembly hooks for CoperWeld.

O yeah we just got a new Super Dollar Store too.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 PM

Lowes employees dont turn tail and run to keep from serving you like home depot employees do.

Quick Reply: Walmart syndrome