Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wally-World---The new "Evil Empire"???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My biggest problem with Wal Mart is their service nonexistant, the hired help from my experience is of a poor caliber and quite frankly it looks like a welfare store and seems there is always someone "camping" in the parking lot. Unfortunately one is being built near where I live, I'll still shop at Safeway where I see the same checkers year after year and we know each other by name and service is great, if I pay a little more then so be it. They have a right to be in business and I have a right not to shop there. Let the market place decide.

I wonder how many people that complain about them still shop there?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:42 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has all been very interesting reading........
a good discussion about differing ideas and no-name calling or such..its been educational at least.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:36 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front page news on our local rag today reads:
"Wal-Mart Bill veto overridden"

The paper had a a positive spin on it, saying (basically) "Why is Wal-Mart the only large employer in the state that doesn't pay it's fair share to employees in heath care costs?"
(the term "Fair Share" equates to contributing 8% of total wages to employees health)

The Democrat comment is "Don't dump your employees that you refuse to support on our Medicade system." Gloria Lawlah (D)
(and)
"We are here to tell this Bully to change his behavior", Healey (D)

Republican comment is " If you don't want to work at Wal-Mart, no one's twisting your arm. Go get a job somewhere else." Edwards (R)

The artical when on to say how a Pennsylvania Judge approved a group to move forward with a suit claiming that Wal-Mart encouraged it's employees to clock out and continue working. (sounds fimiliar huh?)

Most of this BS started because Wal-Mart is holding a Million square foot distribution center over our heads. They are waiting to see if they are going to have to relocate the new construction to state that doesn't mind supporting their employees on public assistance.
Heres the stroy from the Republican side of things. Most of the comment is from E.J Pipken. He is a Senator who represents my area of the "Upper Shore" of MD.
http://www.cecilwhig.com/articles/20...13/news/03.txt

According to the local republicans our state economy is going to come crashing down now that we put Wal-Mart on notice.

Remember folks, $10 BILLION In profits! They can afford to cough up some dough for their workers.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 AM

From US News and World Report, Jan 9 Issue...

The negative bias of economic coverage can be seen in stories about the current No. 1 private-sector employer in Amnerica, Wal-Mart, and the No. 1 employer back in the 1970s, General Motors. The GM story is genuinely grim: The company is laying off thousands of workers and closing plants and is threatened with bankruptcy. Stories about Wal-Mart tend to focus on allegedly low wages and healthcare benefits, and to say less about the company's continual profitability and the low prices that benefit consumers. These companies are not entirely comparable; they're in different businesses. But some of the differences between them illustrate why the American economy, which seemed to have run out of gas 25 years ago, is now doing so well.

One big difference is this: General Motors' business model was designed for a static economy; Wal-Mart's for a dynamic economy.
Now.. Economic growth has been over 3 percent for 10 consecutive quarters. Unemployment is 5.0 percent which is lower than average for the 70s, 80s or 90s. Since April 2003 there have been a net of 5.1 million new jobs. Core inflation is 2.1 percent. Productivity growth for 2000-2005 is 3.4 percent, which is the highest of any five-year period in 50 years.

Before anyone bashes Wal-Mart for their business practices, look at it this way. Here is a company who is very skilled at adapting to market conditions. True, Wal-Mart doesn't pay high wages, or provide healthcare benefits to all employees. Has anyone stopped to think that many of those workers aren't full-time? Many are also covered under their spouses healthcare plan.

If other businesses want to survive in today's economic market, they could do well to look at Wal-Mart's business model and adapt many of their practices. The day of the free ride is long gone, and businesses will have to do what it takes to survive.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Front page news on our local rag today reads:
"Wal-Mart Bill veto overridden"

Republican comment is " If you don't want to work at Wal-Mart, no one's twisting your arm. Go get a job somewhere else." Edwards (R)
Very good point.

Originally Posted by P.J
The artical when on to say how a Pennsylvania Judge approved a group to move forward with a suit claiming that Wal-Mart encouraged it's employees to clock out and continue working. (sounds fimiliar huh?)
At our company, I frequently have to drive to town for company business...picking up parts, etc. Not only do I have to clock out to go, but I have to use my own vehicle, and pay for my own fuel...with no reimbursement. Am i going to sue the company? Nope...I've been applying to other companys. Its my choice whether i work there or not, just like its their choice whether they work for Wallyworld.

Jim
Old 01-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Remember folks, $10 BILLION In profits! They can afford to cough up some dough for their workers.
Walmart's sales are also over $250 billion. A $10 billion profit is not even a 4% profit on sales.

Most industries would be calling for the CEO's head if profit margin was only 4% of sales. the industry I work in has a typical profit margin of 20% or more.

Brian Elfert
Old 01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by NHDiesel
Very good point.

At our company, I frequently have to drive to town for company business...picking up parts, etc. Not only do I have to clock out to go, but I have to use my own vehicle, and pay for my own fuel...with no reimbursement. Am i going to sue the company? Nope...I've been applying to other companys. Its my choice whether i work there or not, just like its their choice whether they work for Wallyworld.

Jim
Seems like a lot of your opinions on this are geared this way.
That would last about, oh......, NONE times with me.
You seriously just decide to not get paid because you have to drive to get parts? Your Car, Your Insurance, Your Gas, Your tires???

That is just plain ridiculous. They would be looking into having thier parts shipped or delivered by cab or something if I worked there.
It's almost like when people make the decision to do things like this, they are dragging all other self respecting employees down with them?

It's like, "Well, Jim is willing to lose paid time money and wear and tear on his car for us to profit from him, so what's your problem?"

As for suing the company, that would probably not be worth it. But, look at it this way.
Say one day you are heading out after clocking out on one of your free parts voyages, you get smacked in the head on the way out the door. Think your employers Lawyers aren't going to jump all over that to CYA on their Workers Comp insurance??
"I have no clue what happened, but he was clocked out when it happened"!

No trying to be a jerk, but a little assertiveness would go a long way.

I must have worked for some stand up guys in my short work history, no one did or would have ever asked me to work for free.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by belfert
Walmart's sales are also over $250 billion. A $10 billion profit is not even a 4% profit on sales.

Most industries would be calling for the CEO's head if profit margin was only 4% of sales. the industry I work in has a typical profit margin of 20% or more.

Brian Elfert

People do that a lot lately. It's also popular with the oil companies.

Is it still $10,000,000,000? YES.
PROFIT, not gross, not adjusted, PROFIT.

At least here in Maryland, they'll either put out or GET OUT.
See ya, we existed before them, we'll be fine without them if thats what they want to do.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
You seriously just decide to not get paid because you have to drive to get parts? Your Car, Your Insurance, Your Gas, Your tires???
Its not my decision or choice. If I want to keep my job, I do it. Otherwise they will find someone else who will. Not all parts of the country have thousands of businesses looking for help. In northern New England, we have very few options. I'm trying to find something else, and right now that looks like its going to be $8/hr doing small engine repair and stocking shelves, since the local WalMart has no openings right now.

thats what my point is about WalMart. Sure, it might not be a good store in YOUR location, and YOU might have other options. But many parts of the country don't. My wife was just telling me about a job listing which requires a Masters degree in Psychology. The job pays aprox. $22,000 a year. Doesn't working at WalMart sound a bit better after that? So they may not give health benefits to all employees. In my job hunting I've found that maybe 1 out of 10 full-time workers around here receive health benefits. We are lucky that my wife is covered, and they offer a family plan, which just kicked in Jan. 1st.

Jim