Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wally-World---The new "Evil Empire"???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 12:49 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tengu
Come on folks, some of you are in some SERIOUS denial.

Products comming from China are of very good quality and getting better every day.

Wall Mart Rules!

P.S. Read Ann Rand
I believe the sign reads' Wal-Mart.

Who's Ann Rand?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P.J
I believe the sign reads' Wal-Mart.

Who's Ann Rand?
Sorry PJ I am humbled by your ability to spell.

The real question is "Who is John Gault"?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:36 PM

did any of you happen to see on the news a few years ago the guy that owned a big time road paving company?he had been very successful and made himself a very rich man.when interviewed,he said it was his workers that had made him and his company what it was today.he paid bonuses every year in the hundreds of thousands.even employees that hadnt been there but a year were getting bonuses around 50k.he was literally taking what he made for the whole last quarter,and paying it out to employees in the form of bonuses....those guys were smiling ear to ear as they laid down that asphault.they took great pride in their work,and did the best possible job they could....ill tell you,if you dont think you are worth any money because of your lack of skills,what should you be worth to a company that you are making filthy rich?.a company is only as successful as its employees let it be......you treat your employees poorly,thats all youll get is poor work.you pay a man minimum pay,,youll get minimum return from him.......bama
Old 01-05-2006, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by bama
did any of you happen to see on the news a few years ago the guy that owned a big time road paving company?he had been very successful and made himself a very rich man.when interviewed,he said it was his workers that had made him and his company what it was today.he paid bonuses every year in the hundreds of thousands.even employees that hadnt been there but a year were getting bonuses around 50k.he was literally taking what he made for the whole last quarter,and paying it out to employees in the form of bonuses....those guys were smiling ear to ear as they laid down that asphault.they took great pride in their work,and did the best possible job they could....ill tell you,if you dont think you are worth any money because of your lack of skills,what should you be worth to a company that you are making filthy rich?.a company is only as successful as its employees let it be......you treat your employees poorly,thats all youll get is poor work.you pay a man minimum pay,,youll get minimum return from him.......bama
That's a great story bama. Unfortunately I don't think it is a sustainable business practice. So what do you suppose we do? Should we make everybody earn the same amount so that nobody has reason to be better? Should we make everyone equal regardless of his or her effort, skills or ability?

The freedom to make a profit based on your ability to do so is what makes this the greatest economy in the world. Not just the biggest, but the greatest. I hear terms like "Filthy rich" and It always seems to be directed at someone with MORE money than the source. If most of the world lives on less than a dollar a day, does that make you "Filthy rich"? Are you "dirty" because you work hard enough to acomplish this? Sorry but I just don't buy into this mind set.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:42 PM

its called the golden rule tengu........and to alot of folks around the world,,yes,i would be considered filthy rich...and nobody said everyone should make the same,thats communism.i never said the labor should make the same as the owner,but i can assure you of this,you take care of your people,and theyll take care of you....there are exceptions,but there always will be.......bama
Old 01-05-2006, 08:53 PM

I don't shop at walmart. Not only because of the things already discussed, but because the closest one to me is always full of the scum of the earth looking for the cheapest item they can find. That's the problem with this country now. There is a price you pay for buying the cheapest. Most people either don't realize or care about that anymore. Another reason I don't shop there is because everybody that works there either makes a effort to avoid contact from customers or is too stupid to actually help you with anything. This is another cost of buying the cheapest thing you can. In the end, you really do "get what you pay for."
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 AM

Many of you mention that imported goods exceed what goes out of our country. Another post mentioned that each country specializes in different things. Well its true that we buy many cheap things from China. China is known for cheap, crappy, disposable items. Would you want to get paid $1 an hour (or less) to manufacture plastic dish drainers, kids toys, etc? These items do have a place in our economy. Think about Christmas. How much would it cost to buy kids their pile of plastic toys if they were made here, with $15/hr labor?

In return, we concentrate our efforts on much higher levels. We invented the computer. We came out with the home computer. IBM revolutionized the computer industry (along with Apple...we won't go into arguments between them). We invented the internet. We invented GPS technology.

I have also made a decision to apply for work at our local WalMart. After the short time I've been there, I'm already tired of working in a barely heated (45 degrees on a good day), noisy, dirty, dusty building, inhaling metal particles from all the saws running, with no benefits, no vacations, spotty work schedule (we work sometimes, and go home when they say there is no work), etc. I can unload trucks at Walmart for the same hourly pay, with more reliable work schedule, vacations, tuition reimbursement if I take more classes (I already have a degree but would like to go higher), and a family oriented atmosphere. No, its not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but up here you have few choices: work outside all winter in 3-4 feet of snow and subzero temps as a logger (winter work only), work in the paper mill, or earn $6.50/hr at most retail jobs.

Walmart is a business. Their one and only reason for existing is to make money. They aren't in business to make people feel good. They aren't in business to ensure everyone is happy. This country seems to be stuck on the belief that anyone who makes more money than you is a bad person. I don't make squat, but I applaud those who do.

Jim
Old 01-06-2006, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by bama
its called the golden rule tengu........and to alot of folks around the world,,yes,i would be considered filthy rich...and nobody said everyone should make the same,thats communism.
So do you agree with this assesment of you? Do you feel that your efforts warrent the label of "Filthy"? My wife and I work VERY hard. We have 5 kids, the oldest is now in collage. Do you think I should feel "Dirty" for making this happen?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Well I mentioned it slightly above. We are raised that we should get a good education, work hard, and make something of ourselves. Be a success. But what everyone really means is, earn just enough to stay off the "system" and put food on the table and pay the bills, but not enough to earn more than the Jone's next door. If you really DO make something of yourself and actually earn a large amount of money, your reward is a much higher tax rate, and the image that you are an evil person stepping on someone else to get where you are.

I had an uncle who owned a very successful (in its day) machine shop. He made a good amount of money from it, then made lots more from wise investments. He had a house near the shop and one in Florida. He always drove nice cars (usually Caddys), had a very nice house, and took many vacations around the country. People who didn't know him gave him the same kind of crap that places like WallyWorld get, but on a smaller level. He was a mean, cruel guy getting rich of some poor schmuck's missery, sweat, and hard work.

But they didn't know him. He came from an extremely poor family and had literally nothing when he was young. He used to walk from Greenfield, Mass. to southern N.H. on the weekends to visit his wife-to-be, because he had no car. He managed to save up money and purchased one old, used machine. He put it in someone's garage and started working it. He reinvested any money he made, and lived a very poor life while building up his business. It took him many years to get somewhere, but when he did, he enjoyed life, gave his wife everything she went without while the business was growing, and they could finally afford to travel. He didn't forget how he started out. He always treated his workers well and did his best to help them out. They respected him and worked hard in return. How was he treated in return for all of his hard work throughout his life? He was labelled a rich snob who should be punnished for what he made. This same attitude is used toward any large business. Regardless of how their employees are treated, they are a huge, evil empire. Regardless of what they put back into the community with jobs, donations, and taxes, they take advantage of people.

WalMart employs a lot of very young people and elderly. They also have a high percentage of handicapped workers. Do you think its efficient to hire these people? The young don't have experience and require training. The elderly are slower and can sometimes be more difficult to train. And you can guess about the handicapped. Its said (not by THEM) that these people are taken advantage of. Oh really? Most of these people need some additional income. The young have no experience...where are they supposed to work? Jump right into an office job with company car? The elderly usually need just enough to pay for what their social security, etc., can't pay. Some just do it to stay busy and couldn't care less about the pay. Any older person I have spoken to who works there says they enjoy it and are treated very well.

Jim
Old 01-06-2006, 10:29 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice post NH, reasonable thinking. I can dig it.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by NHDiesel
Well I mentioned it slightly above. We are raised that we should get a good education, work hard, and make something of ourselves. Be a success. But what everyone really means is, earn just enough to stay off the "system" and put food on the table and pay the bills, but not enough to earn more than the Jone's next door. If you really DO make something of yourself and actually earn a large amount of money, your reward is a much higher tax rate, and the image that you are an evil person stepping on someone else to get where you are.

I had an uncle who owned a very successful (in its day) machine shop. He made a good amount of money from it, then made lots more from wise investments. He had a house near the shop and one in Florida. He always drove nice cars (usually Caddys), had a very nice house, and took many vacations around the country. People who didn't know him gave him the same kind of crap that places like WallyWorld get, but on a smaller level. He was a mean, cruel guy getting rich of some poor schmuck's missery, sweat, and hard work.

But they didn't know him. He came from an extremely poor family and had literally nothing when he was young. He used to walk from Greenfield, Mass. to southern N.H. on the weekends to visit his wife-to-be, because he had no car. He managed to save up money and purchased one old, used machine. He put it in someone's garage and started working it. He reinvested any money he made, and lived a very poor life while building up his business. It took him many years to get somewhere, but when he did, he enjoyed life, gave his wife everything she went without while the business was growing, and they could finally afford to travel. He didn't forget how he started out. He always treated his workers well and did his best to help them out. They respected him and worked hard in return. How was he treated in return for all of his hard work throughout his life? He was labelled a rich snob who should be punnished for what he made. This same attitude is used toward any large business. Regardless of how their employees are treated, they are a huge, evil empire. Regardless of what they put back into the community with jobs, donations, and taxes, they take advantage of people.

WalMart employs a lot of very young people and elderly. They also have a high percentage of handicapped workers. Do you think its efficient to hire these people? The young don't have experience and require training. The elderly are slower and can sometimes be more difficult to train. And you can guess about the handicapped. Its said (not by THEM) that these people are taken advantage of. Oh really? Most of these people need some additional income. The young have no experience...where are they supposed to work? Jump right into an office job with company car? The elderly usually need just enough to pay for what their social security, etc., can't pay. Some just do it to stay busy and couldn't care less about the pay. Any older person I have spoken to who works there says they enjoy it and are treated very well.

Jim

Excellent post. I can relate. When I worked in a shop I was given less hours than coworkers because I didn't have "a bunch of mouths to feed" My decision not to have kids was making me less money. So I quit and started working on my own. Never looked back and am now considered the snobby rich guy. Go figure...
Old 01-08-2006, 12:04 AM

Hate to say it but both sides of this arguement are right. The bigger problems will never be fixed though. Like NH many places have few decent jobs and walmart serves these communities well. Then in other parts they only attract the worthless. The bigger problem, and wal mart isnt the only guilty party here, is the lost income due to not paying there fair share in taxes for their stores. I am talking about the comunities giving them tax breaks to be there. Yes people get jobs and money to spend but it doesnt due much for the city trying to pave the roads, run the EMS, or even keep the streets clean. It does make the politicians look good by bringing in jobs. Vicious circle aint it. Now take these same companies and look at the money they are making. Not everyone should make the same amount of money but is anyone worth 10 million a year? Upper management is what kills American business. Cut 5 cents here and there and add it to there bonuses while cutting benefiets to the workers. That is the true problem with this world.
I am in the military currently but am an electrician. I pay close attention to my civilian job and really see the true problem as greed. Forget Wal Mart. Wall street is the biggest problem. Due some reading on the national grid and that will make you real sick to your stumach! Big business comes in and fires half the work force, gets rid of equipment, cuts beneifets, stops training apprentices so there is noone to take over for people retiring, and puts routine maintanence on halt. The price of running the power company goes down and profits sky rocket. Stock goes up for a few years and they sell out making a fortune. Guess whats left. A failing power infastructure that is about to burn to the ground. Who pays to fix it? You do. The customer gets worse service with higher rates and the federal govt ends up having to step in and help pay the burden with your tax dollars. Moral of the story. There is a reason many rich people are looked at dirty. Not all people are this way but more than one of them got there by screwing the little guy.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Banned

I agree mostly on the hard tiem they give the labor force, low pay and the benefits thing but I can't imagine in all this no one mentioned the online sales as having an effect on local businesses, whe you buy something online do you support the local comunity? does the person you buy from pay his help min wage? does he give them beni's? do you even pay slaes tax? I know a few places collect sales tax for one reason or another but the majority do not. Even ebay falls into this category, who knows who is packaging that stuff, might be the sellers kid working for 5 bux a day. Its not just wally bringing things down.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the online thing works both ways. Yes, you are buying something from hundreds or even thousands of miles away. however, there is nothing to stop someone from hundreds of miles away buying something from your home town.

as far as walmart goes, I've have heard the great spider analogy. I did not read all the posts on this so i apologize if someone has already mentioned this.

Walmart "The Great Spider"...

Walmart has been refered to as the great spider, with thousands of legs (stores) all connected to the main body. When a leg (store) crashes down from the sky and opens a store in your community, the body does not care if that leg makes a profit for several years. The body's main goal is to "sell for less" and crush any other retailer that is trying to sell the same items.

Once most or all the other small stores give up, walmart quickly responds with a quick yet slight price increase (not on all items). There are certain items people are price conscience about, and some they are not.

Now, that leg becomes the support for the next leg to hit the ground.

As far as walmart itself making a corporate profit in order to actually pay taxes, I doubt it. I'm sure they have lobbied congress to create some "loopholes" were they can export millions of dollars tax free and still have a little or no profit bottom line.

As long as there 10's of thousands of employees are paying in about 30% of there sweat, they will make it up on that end.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 PM

good post robert,,,,,,,this country is heading for its end no doubt,and its not gonna take a single missle being fired!......greed will be the end of us all...................bama

Quick Reply: Wally-World---The new "Evil Empire"???