Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wally-World---The new "Evil Empire"???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
Ya lost me ... not really sure what point you were trying to make ...

PISTOL

I think that he was simply saying without getting specific, they are less than desireable to work for.

I have heard stories from my Dads wife who negotiated phone contracts (internet and network systems) with Wal-Mart. She says that Wal-Mart creates a "Court Room" like setting and is very uncomfortable and not what someone would consider a friendly business environment.

It seems like there are two sides to this. One is the person who’s Aunt, Cousin, Daughter, or Neighbor works there. My position is that in Most places in America Wal-Mart is not considered a desirable career. I mean no offense to anyone who feels differently. I'm just telling you how I, my family and literally anyone I know think. I'm not getting into the raw #'s, but I no of not one individual that chooses to work at Wal-Mart because they are paid and treated better there.

The other side is people who have rational fears about a Massive powerhouse corporation who lobbies local and State politicians to gain needed support before deciding on building distribution centers.
The 1 million sq. foot center they were supposed to be building in my State was held over everyone’s head and will continue to be until Wal-Mart decides that the state is going to take care of them enough by not requiring them to pay their fair share in Employee health benefits.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who exactly is holding the gun to Werner transports head to pull freight for Walmart? Don't like the rates? Move freight for someone else.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:27 PM

I dont shop at wal mart for many reasons. I have no real reason to go there for the most part. If I need anything that I cannot get at the grocery store I go to Target. True it may cost me more at Target, but their stores are always crisp and clean. There arent hordes of kids running around pitching fits. And I dont have to stand in line for an hour waiting to buy a pack of socks! And before someone pounces on me and says that its only in my area that things like that occur....I lived in NC for 6 years before moving here and the same held true there. I have been Wal Mart free for the past year and plan on keeping it that way. Everyone is free to say what they will, and shop where they chose to shop. Thats why it is America and its great to live here. If you dont like a store you dont have to shop there....it isnt the only game in town! Too bad more people dont feel that way, things might be different then. Just my 02 cents on the subject.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.J
I have heard stories from my Dads wife who negotiated phone contracts (internet and network systems) with Wal-Mart. She says that Wal-Mart creates a "Court Room" like setting and is very uncomfortable and not what someone would consider a friendly business environment.
All the big boys are tough to deal with from a vendor point of view. Home Depot is probably the worst. Worse than Wal-Mart, anyway. That's just the way they all do business.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:02 AM

im an electrician, and the contractor im working for right now, does electrical work for walmarts when they get remodled, or when the frozen food section gets expanded, or say a subway gets put into a walmart, or when the deli area gets expanded, garden centers n all that jazz, the work isnt bad, h-ell i dont consider it electrical work, ok now back to the subject at hand. I think walmart is very evil, but they pay pretty darn good when it comes to electrical subcontractors. Walmart has folks that travel around coordinating remodels, setup is what we refer to them as, Set up hires local folks to help move counters around and pretty much muscle things and paint racks, n bs like that, those people work at night for not much more then minimum wage...... overtime is frowned upon, so when a remodel is done the folks that Set up hires, are canned, which is there business i think. Now when Set up deals with the construction aspect of the remodel, they want to try and run the show as far as construction goes, i can understand, they want the project done yesterday, but the majority of the time, they end up p_issing off the sub contractors. So they tend to think that skilled labor, I.E. Electricians, carpenters, Plumbers, yada yada yada, can be treated like they treat the unfourtunate souls that get hired as temp workers. Wal mart is like a big cult, some folks get so wrapped up in it they lose touch with reality and think Wal mart is IT. Ive seen some full time employees checks, and wow i cant imagine supporting anyone with the cashola they make. But some folks do what they gotta do to make ends meet ya know, ok im done flappin my gums H_ell wot do i know im just a 23 y/o
Old 12-28-2005, 06:05 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
All the big boys are tough to deal with from a vendor point of view. Home Depot is probably the worst. Worse than Wal-Mart, anyway. That's just the way they all do business.
I never knew that. Intereseting though, cause I don't like Home Cheapo either.

We have a Lowes neaby. It is about he same difference as Target and Walmart. Cleaner store, more registers open NO SELF CHECKOUT, not crammed full with customers.

Oh well.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:38 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

One of the reasons I started this thread was that I wanted to hear what others thought 'cause it seemed a lot different than what I have experienceed and what I hear at home from family that works there here and in Lawton. I hear alot about Walmart from my wife, a/k/a The BOSS.
She is a paralegal for the firm that represents Walmart in workers comp cases here in KS and some in Ne. they also represent PayLess ShoeSource Inc., and the regional SouthWestern Bell Telephone/ATTcases.
She had a small fit at some of the posts and wanted me to tell you guys that the health and disability benifits offered by Walmart are better than those offered by Payless. She also wants you guys to know that corperate Walmart is more generous to employees in negotiations than either of the other two....

Dont yell at me, I was just asked to pass that along...........

After all that has been said I think Fiver is the one who realy got to thte meat of it, trade imbalance, the rest seems to be emotional lashing out more than fact. just my opinion ......
Old 12-28-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
I no of not one individual that chooses to work at Wal-Mart because they are paid and treated better there.

BTW P.J. As a City Of Apache Oklahoma police officer, I got a screaming $6.95 and hour with no benifits other than workers comp through the state if I got injured in the line of duty. If it was off duty, I had no mediacal coverage at all.... a lot of small towns are like that. WalMart in Lawton started at $9.50 with benifits. There are a lot of people who work there because it is the best thing in thier area.
And the pay/benifits issue is why I'm no longer a police officer in the thriving City of Apache Oklahoma.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:41 AM

I saw on Lou Dobs {cnn} the other nite that wal-mart bought 1.5 billion dollars in goods from china and china bought ZERO from wal-mart. Talk about a trade imbalance.

Jim
Old 12-28-2005, 09:08 PM

chrisreyn,,,,,,,,im not comparing wal-mart to alquida in any way,,my point is,people dont care who they buy from anymore,as long as they save a nickel.everybody talks all this being a good american stuff,,but then they fully support a company that sells all foreign built ,cheap junk.being a good american is more than just supporting our troops to me,it should also be supporting every aspect of america-including our own work force.....if something doesnt change in the way this country is heading at all levels,its going to be a rough road ahead for our children and their children.........bama
Old 12-28-2005, 09:17 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
BTW P.J. As a City Of Apache Oklahoma police officer, I got a screaming $6.95 and hour with no benifits other than workers comp through the state if I got injured in the line of duty. If it was off duty, I had no mediacal coverage at all.... a lot of small towns are like that. WalMart in Lawton started at $9.50 with benifits. There are a lot of people who work there because it is the best thing in thier area.
And the pay/benifits issue is why I'm no longer a police officer in the thriving City of Apache Oklahoma.
If it weren't for my, let's say "Checkered" past, I would be in Law Enforcement myself. Round here a entry level patrolman can earn between $25-29K per year. I think with a two year criminal justice degree or honorable military discharge you can make 35K or so to start with the Maryland State Police. Walmart can't touch any of those numbers. Sounds like you've resided in some depressed areas? If the cops make $6.something an hour, what do the retail workers make, $4.50?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
If it weren't for my, let's say "Checkered" past, I would be in Law Enforcement myself. Round here a entry level patrolman can earn between $25-29K per year. I think with a two year criminal justice degree or honorable military discharge you can make 35K or so to start with the Maryland State Police. Walmart can't touch any of those numbers. Sounds like you've resided in some depressed areas? If the cops make $6.something an hour, what do the retail workers make, $4.50?
Not realy depressed areas, but if you have a tax base of around 1200 residents,and only a dozen or so small bussiness's, your budget for running a city is pretty darn tight. Our entire departmental budget for 1997, including salaries,fuel,uniforms,equipment,ect. was just slightly under 50K, so most private sector bussiness's can afford to pay more......why small towns have a hard time keeping good cops, ect. but thats a whole 'nuther topic..
Old 12-29-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
After all that has been said I think Fiver is the one who realy got to thte meat of it, trade imbalance, the rest seems to be emotional lashing out more than fact. just my opinion ......
I'm not an economist, but I think this trade balance stuff is all off the mark and really a non issue. Wal-Mart, the Dodge dealer, every one I buy from, has a trade inbalance with me. There is a trade inbalance between me and every single one of my customers. Somehow, we all seem to get by.

Don't know if anyone remembers, but back in the late '70s and early '80s trade concerns were worse than today, only with the Japan. The Japs were coming in and buying every thing in sight around the country. They were buying things which had a big importance to many Americans. What ever happened to that? Well, parts are, the Feds made them start to manufacture in this country in order to stay in business and be profitable, so much of their money stayed here, and many of the investments they made, they also lost their shirts on. Some how it worked out and Japan didn't end up owning the US.

For this country to stay competative we are going to have to be smart and make good business decisions. We need to concentrate on the areas of business that we are good at and get out of those areas we aren't. Tariff and imbargo type solutions aren't going to work unless they're creative.

This same sort of statagy applies to all those mom & pops which Wal-Mart puts under when they move into a small town. Smart businees owners will go in and fill the many business gaps, and opportunities, Wal-Mart creates when it moves in.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:47 AM

very good post Bart.. y amake a good point.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Come on folks, some of you are in some SERIOUS denial.

Products comming from China are of very good quality and getting better every day.

Unless you are in managment, making a "Career" out of a WM job is almost as dumb as making a carrer out of working in a "Mom and Pop" shop. The fact remains as some have stated that WM makes a great JOB. If you want a career, go get some skills, don't blame wall mart for not paying you what you imagine you are worth.

Wall Mart Rules!

P.S. Read Ann Rand

Quick Reply: Wally-World---The new "Evil Empire"???