Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wally-World---The new "Evil Empire"???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh Wally World. Sure Mr. Walton had a great idea, he took it from small and local to mega and international proportions, along with his bank account too. Good on him! What Walmart has evolved into being is another thing. I'm not sure Mr. Walton would agree with their strong arm tactics and market saturation techniques. Where I live in Greentown, Ohio I can drive to 6, yes that's SIX, Walmarts in no more than 30 minutes from my house. You can drive between 4 of those in 15 minutes OR LESS. If you want to use thier store locator to find what I'm talking about use 44630 as a search zip code.

We (the consumers) don't need 6 stores, but Walmart does if they're going to shut down competitors in this area. Have you seen the PBS special on mega stores particularly Walmart and the part about their "strong arm" tactics with Rubbermaid? That's just one example. In NE Ohio there was a greenhouse/nursery wholesaler that was approached by Walmart to supply stores in the State-region (he was already doing it for a few local sotres). They promised a specific volume. The wholesaler had to invest quite a bit in the expansion of his business to provide this volume but was glad to get it. That is till it came to the following year when a new deal had to be cut. Walmart said we'll take materials for this price, NO negotiation. The price was lower than the previous agreement and left the wholesaler an extremely small margin. He decided to continue to be a slave to Walmart's demands rather than take a loss on all of his new improvements. That is until Walmart found someone else who'd do it cheaper and dropped the local wholesaler like yesterday's garbage. No loyalty, no negotiation, no reach around, just cuthroat-do it one better regardless of long term costs or people involved. I got a problem with that.

I also have a problem with everything being made somewhere besides the USA let alone a communist nation, namely CHINA. It's not just Walmart buying Chinese, that's everywhere - Target, Sears, Kmart. Heck even go to the grocery store and look where your food's coming from. I was gonna buy some shrimp the other day until I found out it came from Thailand. For the love of pete we can't grow shrimp HERE!?! It's all farm raised anyway and it still has to come from half way around the world!

The Chinese are taking the money we've given them for their "cheap" goods (that's cheap in $ and quality) and coming back to the good old US and are taking over one piece of property/technology/infrastructure/employee at a time. We've lost control of our supply line, goods and food, not a good strategic move if you're seeking security from foreign invaders. I'm not talking about one, two or twenty terroristst here.

I've never lived it, but I understand how or why folks need to pinch pennies and may go to Walmart to that end. I try to be thankful everyday for the people and job that has kept me from needing to have to do that. I try and look for USA made goods and will pay a premium for them. I avoid Walmart and make conscious decisions not to by goods/garbage made in China anywhere I go/shop. And try to inform people why I have these principles and their foundation so maybe they'll understand me better.

Rant over. Keep the dirty side down, shiny side up, blow some more smoke and MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone!!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good post by Eric, I like the Facts!

There are stories from about 8-10 years ago where they moved into a strip mall (when they were all "anchor" type stores) took advantage of a 3 year tax deal with the local municipality, after the time frame for the tax relief was up they closed the doors, moved 5 miles down the street and started over.

I can't find the artical, but it was on 60 minutes a few years back.
They left the strip mall to eventually become vacant except fo one store and the town never reaped the tax base they thought they were heading torwards.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:59 PM
P.J
Banned

Swear, I JUST saw this on the news.

Sounds about right. A place I would want to work .

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/22/wa....ap/index.html

Oh, and;

"It is a sad day when Wal-Mart provides these so-called low prices by exploiting their workers and even the law," Blank said.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wonder how much the attorney will take out of that award before giving the rest to the poor unfortunate people that were abused? Sorry, but if an employer is not treating you right, quit and go somewhere else. I note the website that is creating all this alarm is a union based organization. Boy, how they would love to gather all the WalMart employees under their arm so they could collect dues from them, one of the largest employers in the world. I do not doubt in a company this big some isolated cases of abuse can occur, but this is idiotic and a lawyers dream come true.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tried shopping at Walmart, but it didn't work out.

When they first arrived around here, they set up where the need was greatest,(the west side in these parts) and attracted the sort of people that "have" to shop there, and as a result, ended up looking like a lot of those peoples homes.
No, I'm not stereotyping anyone, just stating facts as I know them, as I tried shopping at a couple of them, but couldn't stomach it.

Then they moved eastward into the "nicer" areas, and started out pretty clean and well kept, but then those from the west found out about these nice new clean stores, and migrated to them, and they too ended up the epitamy of "trailer trash shopping" much like their forebearers, I gave them a second chance, but it didn't work out.

Then came the "Super Walmarts", and thus far, have avoided the curse that fell on the "smaller" stores, but then I wouldn't know, as I have yet to set foot into a Super Walmart, based on my previous encounters, have to base this on 2nd hand reports.

I have family and friends that swear by Walmart, and are constantly regailing me with tales of the savings found there-in.

I'll do my food shopping at a grocery store, my clothes shopping at a clothing store, buy my books from a bookstore, music from a music store, and get my Powerservice from an auto parts store.

I can sleep at night, comfortable in the knowlege that I am doing my part to help keep many varied businesses in business.

phox
Old 12-22-2005, 07:24 PM

in beaver dam wisconsin, they are building a wal-mart distribution center... aprox the same square footage as the moon. anyhow they are using some prison labor for the construction of this thing... no ****... **** wal mart
Old 12-22-2005, 07:31 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Wonder how much the attorney will take out of that award before giving the rest to the poor unfortunate people that were abused? Sorry, but if an employer is not treating you right, quit and go somewhere else. I note the website that is creating all this alarm is a union based organization. Boy, how they would love to gather all the WalMart employees under their arm so they could collect dues from them, one of the largest employers in the world. I do not doubt in a company this big some isolated cases of abuse can occur, but this is idiotic and a lawyers dream come true.
Agreed. There is no doubt why the AF of L has such an interest. Not to mention the Teamsters are drooling to get in on all of those shipments.
BUT, if an emplyer is not treating 170,000 employees "right" something need to be done. This is not your supervisor at the grocery store being mean to you, this seemed to be more like a policy that broke a State law.

Your a smart one Bob, I mean no offense, just adding some thoughts.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Psolla
Ahh Wally World. Sure Mr. Walton had a great idea, he took it from small and local to mega and international proportions, along with his bank account too. Good on him! What Walmart has evolved into being is another thing. I'm not sure Mr. Walton would agree with their strong arm tactics and market saturation techniques. Where I live in Greentown, Ohio I can drive to 6, yes that's SIX, Walmarts in no more than 30 minutes from my house. You can drive between 4 of those in 15 minutes OR LESS. If you want to use thier store locator to find what I'm talking about use 44630 as a search zip code.
I believe that walmart started going downhill after Sam Walton died. I think I have read somewhere that he was wanted US made products in his stores as much as possible. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DieselDaze
Its often not what you do, but how you do it that matters.
Sears came into the picture as part of the Roebuck (sp?) company years ago. If I remember this correctly, the Roebuck company had a lot of smaller franchises through out the county and many (if not all) of those were mom&pop owned. When Roebuck merged with Sears, many store owners were able to keep their shops... at first.
It was this "easing" into the community that helped Sears.

Walmart has more of the "bulldoze" into the community approach. Its this bullish approach that often rub folks the wrong way to start with.

Like it or not, I think the future will be filled with "MegaMarts" of one sort or another.

Rich.
Rich you are absolutly correct. My town of 13k people is going through that right now. Walmart is trying to come into our town and build a supercenter. My problem with this is, there are allready two other walmarts within a ten mile radius of my town. To top it off, they bought land across the street from a fairly new housing developmemt. There have been over 6000 petitions signed thus far, not sure if that will help though.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:18 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jay05torque
in beaver dam wisconsin, they are building a wal-mart distribution center... aprox the same square footage as the moon. anyhow they are using some prison labor for the construction of this thing... no ****... **** wal mart

They hired prisoners on a work release program, designed to let low-risk inmates go out and find jobs according to the local newspaper:
http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stor...=61112&ntpid=1

ok , this thread so far has all the elements I mentioned in my first post...
talk of teh $6.50/hour clerk.... their corp website states tehy start at $9.70, which is what my sisters started at, so that is kinda confirmed....

The discussion about the effect on local bussinesses has been enlightening and has made sense.

I also can understand the concerns over the China aspect, but in fairness, the other bussiness's are selling the same brands, made in the same place, WalMart just buys more of them...

Stilll dont quite understand the hatred some seem to feel towrds a corporation...
Old 12-23-2005, 06:36 AM

I am not a fan of Walmart, but they can not take the entire blame for the demise of small town business.

In my case I live 5-10 miles from several small independant hardware and auto parts stores, so why do I usually end up driving 20-30 miles to Lowes, Advance, or Wal-Mart? The small stores close at 5pm M-F, Noon on Saturday and are closed on Sunday, 90% of the time when I need something and have time to get it the close small stores are closed.

The point is, right or wrong times have changed and all businesses have to adapt or they won't last.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:12 AM

IN LAST NIGHTS NEWS: Wal Mart in California was fined $173 Million for not allowing employee's a lunch break after working six hours. Looks like the cost of Chinese sneakers is going up in California! :-) Do we really need to deal with people that have this mentality in order to save a few bucks - which in the long term we really aren't saving at all !
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by russ300h
IN LAST NIGHTS NEWS: Wal Mart in California was fined $173 Million for not allowing employee's a lunch break after working six hours. Looks like the cost of Chinese sneakers is going up in California! :-) Do we really need to deal with people that have this mentality in order to save a few bucks - which in the long term we really aren't saving at all !
I may be wrong and I'm sure I will catch some crap for my opinion on this but, oh well, it's just my opinion. It is my understanding that it was not a company-wide Walmart policy to deny individuals breaks or lunch, but when the store was busy the managers on duty would ask (maybe tell, I don't know I wasn't there) some employees to forgo their regularly scheduled breaks (including lunch) to help out customers. I personally do not see a problem with this unless it's on an extremely consistent basis, in which case it may make sense for the store to hire more employees. I work through lunches all the time and consistently work 12, 13 or 14 hour days, without overtime as I am salaried. But, my job requires it, and I need to do such things if I want to achieve success at the highest ranks of my chosen profession. If you work in the service/retail industry, you may be required to do the same types of things to satsfy your customers and keep them coming back.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:06 AM

It ticks me off when all "buy American" conversations end up with someone saying that they don't like these stores because of imported goods. Excuse me, but find someplace that DOES'T have imported goods! Mom & Pop stores have their fair share (many times MORE than their fair share). Go buy the biggest American Icon, a Harley Davidson. In one motorcycle magazine article they compared imported parts between a Harley and a Honda Goldwing. The Wing was more American! Harley has many foreign investors. Their electronics come from Japan. Brakes from Europe. Parts from all over the world. So where are we supposed to go to eliminate the imported goods? Go back to making everything at home? Sorry, my wife doesn't have time to sew me a new shirt today.

In our town WalMart employs more people than all of the mom & pop stores around here put together. They have much better prices on the EXACT SAME PRODUCTS (brand and model) as the little guys. They offer excellent benefits, one of the few places in my area that DO offer benefits. A friend's son (aprox. 19 years old with no other work experience) works there and makes more money than my wife does as a teacher at a government funded teaching facility after 20 years of service. He makes almost as much as I do, after a college degree, 11 ASE certifications, and previous experience, working as a general maintenance tech working on our company's equipment, including several fork trucks, International Eagle road tractor, and all of their machines and equipment. And I don't have benefits, vacation time, etc. Heck, I didn't even get a day off for Christmas since it came on a Sunday!

I don't thing WallyWorld is an evil empire, I think they are fair competition. If the local places charge fair prices and have good work ethics, they have nothing to worry about. But the ones who charge 100% markup just because they didn't have any competition before will have lots to fear...and I won't shed a tear for them.

Jim

Originally Posted by FiverBob
My biggest concern in the whole mess - - and it does not necessarily center around Wally World - - is the importation of foreign goods. But, then I remember that we have done that to the rest of the world for years - - until what??? Until our products got so high the rest of the world could no longer afford them. Now, we can't either. Why? What is happening in New York city today with labor demands?

Wal Mart buys 10% of the total exported goods shipped from China. HHMMMM???? What country is the largest Communist nation??? Does China give a rats patooty about us? On the contrary. Does China allow free exchange of American goods into their country? NO!!! HMMMM Now what does this mean in the long run when China has billions of American dollars hanging around looking for key American companies like power and energy companies it can buy? Note, that is not free enterprise in China trying to buy American companies - - it is the Chinese government. So what do we do about it? Order another 1000 containers filled with Chinese goods. I am concerned about this imbalance and appearant ambivilance on the part of our government to recognise this situation.

Likewise, the oil problem. We pour our dollars out to countries that hate us and yet will not open up our own oil reserves for drilling and will NOT bite the bullet and do something about alternative energy.

Go get another cup of Bob before you get mad.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by NHDiesel
It ticks me off when all "buy American" conversations end up with someone saying that they don't like these stores because of imported goods. Excuse me, but find someplace that DOES'T have imported goods! Mom & Pop stores have their fair share (many times MORE than their fair share). Go buy the biggest American Icon, a Harley Davidson. In one motorcycle magazine article they compared imported parts between a Harley and a Honda Goldwing. The Wing was more American! Harley has many foreign investors. Their electronics come from Japan. Brakes from Europe. Parts from all over the world. So where are we supposed to go to eliminate the imported goods? Go back to making everything at home? Sorry, my wife doesn't have time to sew me a new shirt today.

In our town WalMart employs more people than all of the mom & pop stores around here put together. They have much better prices on the EXACT SAME PRODUCTS (brand and model) as the little guys. They offer excellent benefits, one of the few places in my area that DO offer benefits. A friend's son (aprox. 19 years old with no other work experience) works there and makes more money than my wife does as a teacher at a government funded teaching facility after 20 years of service. He makes almost as much as I do, after a college degree, 11 ASE certifications, and previous experience, working as a general maintenance tech working on our company's equipment, including several fork trucks, International Eagle road tractor, and all of their machines and equipment. And I don't have benefits, vacation time, etc. Heck, I didn't even get a day off for Christmas since it came on a Sunday!

I don't thing WallyWorld is an evil empire, I think they are fair competition. If the local places charge fair prices and have good work ethics, they have nothing to worry about. But the ones who charge 100% markup just because they didn't have any competition before will have lots to fear...and I won't shed a tear for them.

Jim

So good ol Harley Davidson (and that awesome 1950's technology) are not all American? Yikes.

Quick Reply: Wally-World---The new "Evil Empire"???