Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wal-Mart Drops Lawsuit Over Health-Care Reimbursement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wal-Mart Drops Lawsuit Over Health-Care Reimbursement

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344818,00.html

Glad they are doing the right thing.
Now can we get some American made products?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ramlovingvet
Now can we get some American made products?
sure ... want to pay an extra 5 bucks for the POS toy you just bought for the munchkin?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilzTower
sure ... want to pay an extra 5 bucks for the POS toy you just bought for the munchkin?
We do. We did all of our christmass shopping at Toys R Us and it did cost a little more but why not. The only thing we get at walmart any more are diapers once every 2 weeks and that is because belive it or not they are the best ones out there and they are made in america. We quit going to Aldi to buy groceries, don't go to walmart and have started going to the local farmers markette more. Its something we started to do a few months ago and even though it cost a little more to go other places we make do. I figure my little bit is not much but I have decided to vote with my wallet on the kinda goods I buy.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM

I vowed to (and kept that vow) not do a single bit of christmas shopping at WM this year...and I didnt.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by tx_2500
I vowed to (and kept that vow) not do a single bit of christmas shopping at WM this year...and I didnt.
it's been 3 years for me. a friend of our's had one of their kid's working at one, and by law couldn't work past 9pm (due to her age). one night during her first week of work, she punched out at 9pm and let her supervisor know she was leaving, only to be told that she was expected to return to work (off the clock, without getting paid) and not leave until she had finished re-stocking. she refused, and was fired, and when her dad went to have a 'discussion' with the supervisor, they called the police and tried to have him arrested. i wonder what sam walton would have to say about what's become of his company.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I for one will pay extra for American made toys for my boy.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 PM

I 2nd this motion
Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 AM

I hit the farmers markets over the grocery stores, too. The Costa Mesa F/M has a lady that makes real marshmallow- not cloyingly sweet, but dense, smooth and wonderful. Lots of flavors, too.
And I just paid an extra $9 for a forged stainless steel garden trowel "Made in America" rather than a chinese one. $12 vs $2.98.

The only argument I have regarding the article is the comment by Mr. Barron that they (the subrogator) only want(s) the free money. Well, the insurance company paid for the hospital care, and the health insurance policy contains a clause that basically says that if the insured recovers damages, the insurer will be reimbursed for their expenses. If you got into a car accident and your insurance company paid for your vehicle's repairs, then the other guy's company also gave you a check for the damage to your car, would you be allowed to retain the money? No, because your auto policy contains a subrogation clause allowing your company to recover their payout. Your health coverage probably does, too.
That doesn't make what WalMart did any less distasteful.
However, if you resent the cost of your healthcare coverage, just remember that companies NEVER "absorb" costs, they just pass them on to the consumer. If they are disallowed to pass on the expenses, they will "de-content" the benefits. If they're not allowed to de-content, they'll pull out of the market. Look at the history of homeowner insurance carriers in California- their rates were overseen by the CA dept. of Insurance, then they were forced to offer earthquake insurance and then mandated to share in insuring homes in high-risk brush areas. At least a dozen companies pulled out of the CA homeowners insurance market in the early 90's.
I hope this came across more economic than political.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
I hit the farmers markets over the grocery stores, too. The Costa Mesa F/M has a lady that makes real marshmallow- not cloyingly sweet, but dense, smooth and wonderful.
On a side note marshmallow is real easy to make and only takes about 20 to make and then let it sit over night. If you want the recipe shoot me a PM. Hijack now over.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:37 PM

The only argument I have regarding the article is the comment by Mr. Barron that they (the subrogator) only want(s) the free money. Well, the insurance company paid for the hospital care, and the health insurance policy contains a clause that basically says that if the insured recovers damages, the insurer will be reimbursed for their expenses. If you got into a car accident and your insurance company paid for your vehicle's repairs, then the other guy's company also gave you a check for the damage to your car, would you be allowed to retain the money? No, because your auto policy contains a subrogation clause allowing your company to recover their payout. Your health coverage probably does, too.
That doesn't make what WalMart did any less distasteful.
but the settlement that the woman received from the trucking company was for lost future earnings and pain and suffering, which walmart should have not gone after, as that was the money she was awarded for her FUTURE care.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 AM

Pain and suffering and future earnings are separate from future medical care and expenses, and the article didn't say the award was for pain & suffering, future earnings and future care.
Why shouldn't have WalMart gone after the money? Please don't respond with an answer based on feelings- I think it's "wrong" that I have to pay taxes on last year's tax refund. But taxing my refund (previously taxed money) is legal. It sucks, but I gotta pay.
My understanding of the situation is that the woman's insurance paid out a grip of money, and her policy allows the company to subrogate to recover their expenses. Sad, hard-hearted and heartbreaking, but legal.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:22 AM

Pain and suffering and future earnings are separate from future medical care and expenses, and the article didn't say the award was for pain & suffering, future earnings and future care.
Why shouldn't have WalMart gone after the money? Please don't respond with an answer based on feelings- I think it's "wrong" that I have to pay taxes on last year's tax refund. But taxing my refund (previously taxed money) is legal. It sucks, but I gotta pay.
My understanding of the situation is that the woman's insurance paid out a grip of money, and her policy allows the company to subrogate to recover their expenses. Sad, hard-hearted and heartbreaking, but legal.
if you look at the original thread about this, i posted a link to a second news story, where it is CLEARLY stated that the award from the trucking company was for future earnings as well as pain and suffering.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 AM

i refuse to buy anything from walmart. i don't care if i pay 300 times more somewhere else.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 74dart
We do. We did all of our christmass shopping at Toys R Us and it did cost a little more but why not. The only thing we get at
Does Toys R Us really have any more toys made in the USA than Walmart? It is widely reported that 80% of toys sold in the USA are made in China these days.

Probably the only toy stores that will carry large amounts of American made toys would be the small speciality toy stores.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:14 AM

Unfortunaly not much is made in the USA any more espically anyting that is plastic. I do relise that the toys at Toys R Us are made in the same factory that the ones at walmart are. The main reason we stay away from walmart during the christamass season is that that is the time that TRU make most of their yearly proffits and they have had a hard time the past few years because of the way walmart prices their toys. Walmart will discount thier toys to the point they will make litttle to nothing to get people in the store then make the money back other things. They have the right to do that and that is fine let them do it. Walmart is the truest form of the american dream ther is today a man that started with one store and built the world largest company and became the worlds richest man, but I personly belive that they have strayed from their orignal goal since the passing of their founder. Walmart has over 6000 stores world wide the next largest retailer home depot has less than 2000. I feel that if I done send what little money I have to other stores as well my kids when they grow up the only place to shop will be walmart. Then you will have no choice as to what to buy or where it came from. Walmart is building over 200 new stores a year. How many is K-mart, Target, Toys r us, Sears, Win-dixie, Piggly-Wiggly, JC Penny, etc... are closeing a year. We as the consumer are voting with out money and I choose to use it some where esle. Does it ost me more now sure but what are the cost in the long run 20 years from now when there is no manufacturing in the US and walmart is the only department store left. Just my .02.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart Drops Lawsuit Over Health-Care Reimbursement