Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Virus Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Virus Warning

This virus warning just came straight from my IT guy. Might want to keep an eye out for it...<br><br>Please be aware of the e-mails that you receive each day, as there is a new virus running rampant called the Fizzer virus.<br><br>The e-mail will comes with various subjects as:<br><br>Subject: The subject line is randomly chosen from a list carried by the worm. It may be one of the following:<br><br>I thought this was interesting...<br>rather psychedelic...<br>found this on the net, you might like it...<br>discothèque<br>imbrue<br>it feels good to be gangsta.<br>The way I feel - Remy Shand<br>Paradigm Shift<br>WASSUP!<br>Know Thyself<br>Hell<br>I love you<br>Please discard if you don't like or agree with our present leadership...<br>little popup remover<br>B cannot remember<br>Yo, WASSUP, B?<br>an interesting program...<br>You might not appreciate this...<br>I think you might find this amusing...<br>LOL<br>check this out... hehehe<br>question...<br>see you tomorrow.<br>how are you?<br>you need to lose weight.<br>why?<br>kind of simple, but fun nonetheless.<br>check it out.<br><br> <br><br>The message in the body will look like this:<br><br> <br><br>Message: The message body is randomly chosen from a list carried by the worm. It may be one of the following:<br><br>I sent this program (Sparky) from anonymous places on the net.<br>The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.<br>There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.<br>Watchin' the game, having a bud.<br>Did you ever stop to think that viruses are good for the economy? Maybe the primary creators of the world's worst viruses are the companies that make the Anti-Virus software.<br>Today is a good day to die...<br>so, how are you?<br>the attachment is only for you to look at<br>you must not show this to anyone...<br>delete this as soon as you look at it...<br>Let me know what you think of this...<br>If you don't like it, just delete it.<br>thought I'd let you know<br>you don't have to if you don't want to.<br><br> <br><br> <br><br>If you are receiving any of these e-mails, please delete them immediately. These have been stepped up by all of the anti-virus companies as destructive and intrusive, which mean that personal or confidential information could be sent without you even knowing it. <br><br>
Old 05-12-2003, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Virus Warning

If I ever recieve an e-mail with &quot;yo, wassup B&quot; in the subject, I don't care if it is a virus or not. IT WILL BE DELETED. :
Old 05-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nEver I eMialS open I donT that knOw iTs wHo fRom.<br><br>haVe Never I haD problEms Any fAr sO. <br><br> <br><br>Thanks Hoss,<br>Being in the IT environment, we get 1000's of infected spam hit our email filter every day.<br>Its rediculous!<br><br>Rich.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can go to Symantec.com and do a search for more info too.
I search all virus warnings as some are hoaxes...this one is a legit Worm.

Good heads up Hoss.

Thanks

http://www.securityresponse.symantec...fizzer@mm.html
Old 05-12-2003, 10:17 PM

Good find Hoss!<br><br>I'll bring this to work and share it with the antivirus guys. My team just hooks up all the computers around the world so they can share viruses easier (network engineering)!<br><br>Keep it coming...
Old 05-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Banned

What do you know? Ol' Hoss was looking out for us. I wonder if the new baby and not getting any sleep has anything to do with it. <br><br>Thanks Hoss. I'll keep a lookout and let all of my friends know.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:54 AM

[quote author=Scotty link=board=10;threadid=14632;start=0#137349 date=1052776871]<br>You can go to Symantec.com and do a search for more info too.<br>I search all virus warnings as some are hoaxes...this one is a legit Worm.<br><br>Good heads up Hoss.<br><br>Thanks <br><br>http://www.securityresponse.symantec...fizzer@mm.html<br>[/quote]<br><br>Of course it is...I TOLD you it came straight from my IT guy. You think I'd just make this stuff up??!! ;D
Old 05-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=14632;start=0#137508 date=1052830482]<br>[quote author=Scotty link=board=10;threadid=14632;start=0#137349 date=1052776871]<br>You can go to Symantec.com and do a search for more info too.<br>I search all virus warnings as some are hoaxes...this one is a legit Worm.<br><br>Good heads up Hoss.<br><br>Thanks <br><br>http://www.securityresponse.symantec...fizzer@mm.html<br>[/quote]<br><br>Of course it is...I TOLD you it came straight from my IT guy. You think I'd just make this stuff up??!! ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br> <br><br>You know what I mean...lots of folks go to panic mode and post and it turns out to be a hoax. I simply added the link for folks to see it on an actual site.<br>Go change a diaper.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:24 AM

I'm with you. It DOES look like something I'd make up though...
Old 05-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're having a news story on it, so it must be the real deal.<br><br>Said it before, will say it again.<br><br>Don't open email attachments and you'll never have to worry about it.<br>Zero attachments, whether they're from someone you know or not, don't open them, it's not worth it.<br><br><br>phox
Old 05-13-2003, 10:20 PM

I don't open anything from someone that I don't know. Also, I dont open something from someone I do know, that seem wierd. ie...<br>I got an email from my Dad that had a wierd Subject line...I called him on the phone and asked if he sent it. He thought I was nuts for calling him, BUT he didn't send it to me. He was sending viruses unknowingly. My virus protection didn't detect it, but I deleted it before it did anything to my machine.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:30 AM

I have seen two dozen of these e-mails in the last 48 hours to my account (and not one came from Hoss). The company uses ScanMail so all viruses were scrubbed inbound. This is a pretty nasty little bug. As the unofficial IT guy for my department I spent a good bit of time yesterday making sure everybody had the proper virus definitions loaded and certain other loopholes closed to keep them from receiving or sending any problems.<br><br>Ain't sure who is brighter - the worm coders or the anti-virus guys. Big THANKS to Norton AV - don't log in without it!