Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Video Editing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video Editing

I've been taking a few video's of my truck and I was going to splice them all together and make it look somewhat professional, and post it on here but Windows Movie Maker is reeeeeallly starting to raise my blood pressure with it's constant lockups and errors. Does anyone know of any other software comparable to WMM that is free or at least cheap?
Thanks!
Rat
Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM

Does your computer have a lot of horsepower and or memory? I have used Windows, Nero, and Director and they have all given me issues.

Not that I am a big MAC fan but now you see why the pros use them.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

i struggle through movie maker myself
Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 PM

Save yourself the frustration and go buy a Mac. They all come with a program called iMovie which has got to be the easiest video editor to use. I have used Director, Premiere and Final Cut (all Pro Level programs) and iMovie has incorporated all of the features that the pros use into a beginner level interface that anyone can learn in a matter of minutes.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by KBennett
Does your computer have a lot of horsepower and or memory? I have used Windows, Nero, and Director and they have all given me issues.

Not that I am a big MAC fan but now you see why the pros use them.
Yeah, Mines a new top of the line Dell XPS, but aparantly its not enough. I need to look into a mac for this kinda stuff
Old 08-30-2007, 12:18 AM

Mac is where its at for video. For hobby/consumer type, iMovie works well. Final Cut Pro is one of the best but its a pro level program and is priced accordingly...

For windows, I like Adobe Premier, also a pro level program and priced as such but it looks and works much the same as Final Cut Pro. Avid is also a good system but it's in a league all of its own...

Windows Movie Maker is a waste... too difficult to use for what it does. I can train the same person how to use basic features in FCP or Premier in less time than I can train them to do the same thing in Movie Maker...

There are numerous other programs out there that work with varying degrees of success due to software and hardware compatibility..... you may want to try some and see what you come up with.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:22 AM

I am running a P4 2.8g with 512 ram and have never had a problem with moviemaker locking up my system.I am running XP Pro and my system seems rock solid stable while editing.I accept that some functions take a long time to complete and I allocate a lot of time to the task but economics dictate that I use what I have and I am happy with it.I would surely like to have one of the pro packages to try but moviemaker will have to do it for the time being for me.Ron G
Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm running Premiere on Intel 3. gig dual with 2 gigs of rams. Sure works good for me and no dropped frames when capturing. It is a hard program to learn, though. And, I take off for four months in the RV, come back and try to edit my films and have to learn it all over again - -- booo. Like the program very much, though.
Bob
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM

I use Ulead Movie Maker. It is the free version that came with something I bought. I think it came with a video card (its been a while).

Ive made tons of movies and never had a problem with their software. My father-in-law now uses it as well and hes made hundreds of movies too without a hitch.

Its not the fanciest software, but it has about any feature you would want to make home movies. They also make some fancier software also.

Thats my .02

Have a good one.