Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Very little respect.. (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SolarExpress
Anyone know how to make a homemade E.M.P.? It would have to be very directional and concentrated of course. I've always wanted to give a "zap" to the inconsiderate system blaring next to me, or beside me or in front of me. I would just love to see the looks on the kids' faces when the entire car just quits. I would get in trouble with one though. Cut me off?! "ZOT" Tailgating me "ZAP" shoot me the bird "ZAP, ZAP, ZOT, ZOT ZAP".
I also have been on the receiving end of some subhuman driver's especially powerful "urban acoustic assault vehicle" before. I too desired to end the infrasonic barrage coming from a scumbag's car close to me in traffic...
I usually just grit my teeth and wait until the hearing and IQ impaired idiots move on.. Not so lucking on one day abt 2 yrs ago... I was stuck right next to a really loud one in grid-locked traffic. This dude was an especially unsaviory looking gang-banger type specimen too.

Being a Ham Radio operator, my truck was equipped with a fairly powerful 2meter SSB VHF radio installation.. I reached down and turned the ham radio transciever to SSB mode, reached behind the seat and engaged the 350Watt TE-Systems linear amplifier. The truck has a pretty prominent 2meter antenna. So not wanting him to see me whistling into the mike , I "innocently" began to press the Touch-Tone keypad buttons on the back side of the mike. I figured that would generate some nice audio tones, hoping "snoop-dog's" audio system had an RF shielding weakness that I could exploit. No good.."Thump-thump-thu-thump..." No discernable change in the noise...
I decided maybe the SSB "touchtone" audio wasn't driving the amp to the full 350watts peak.
So, I flipped the rig over to CW Mode and reached for the Morse Code handkey... I tapped out some long "dashes" on the Morse Code handkey.
Well, I still couldn't get into the low-level audio part of his system, but I did discover with every long high powered "dash" I sent, it apparently screwed up the tracking of his CD player's internal electronics,... The net effect was that once the CD player's read buffer was empty, the sound ceases! Eventually it would cause it to skip to the next track...
Alright!!!!!! Now we're getting somewhere!!!
If I waited too long before I sent another long dash, the next track would begin playing and noise returned... So, I just very slowly, kept keying except for a few seconds and there was an extended BLISSFUL SILENCE!
"Snoop-dog" by now was paying full attention to his obviously defective CD in his player. He looked as if he was desperately trying to get the player back to the original CD track so everyone else could continue to enjoy it...
I kept looking ahead and only glancing over at him occasionally . Finally he ejected the CD, looked at it closely, wiping it off... By then the traffic started easing ahead. I finally gained some separation from him before he put a CD back in his no-good CD player...
With the increased distance, I couldn't affect him anymore... But the acoustic barrage also was much quieter too...

Heh heh heh, Ham Radio "Electronic Counter Measures" strikes again!

K.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Chapter President

Ha!^^^^^^ Thats frigging AWSOME. I need to understand what you just said so I can do that too.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM

I've given several young wanna be stoplight DJ's the old TST up to #9 and pop the throttle when the light turns green. It's nice to see smoke drifting out the passenger side of their cars. And usually keeps their offending loudness away from me for awhile. On our lovely 90 degree days with 85% humidity I can usually totally engulf them in about 20 feet.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Not defending the nutso punks here, but maybe they play it that loud to drown out that really loud diesel engine next to them. I love my music loud, but I do it with the windows up so only I can enjoy it, but I do get a kick out of the soccer moms in their Lexus' and Escalades rolling up their windows on a nice spring day because they can no longer hear their cell phone while I'm idling in traffic next to them. The little "puff" on take off just makes them hate me more
Old 06-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats great SoTexRattler. You made me think about being next to some big rigs with some "not so legal" radios. I've had them key into my radio before. Scares me when that voice comes through my speakers. I'll have to find out how to get a setup like that in my truck. Still doesnt help with the tailgaters and sports fans telling me I'm number one though. I've been thinking about installing a small one or two inch dgital scrolling sign for the bed of my truck. "Would you like me to open my tailgate", "If you dont stop I will", "You must really like my truck", "If you can read this I cant see you", "Honk if your bleeding". Either that or some q-beams aimed backwards set to flash.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sea:\>Drive
Not defending the nutso punks here, but maybe they play it that loud to drown out that really loud diesel engine next to them. I love my music loud, but I do it with the windows up so only I can enjoy it, but I do get a kick out of the soccer moms in their Lexus' and Escalades rolling up their windows on a nice spring day because they can no longer hear their cell phone while I'm idling in traffic next to them. The little "puff" on take off just makes them hate me more
I have nothing against loud systems. But when your sitting in traffic or at an intersection, it might be wise to turn it down. Not everyone likes what you are listening to and you never know when that emergency vehicle might be sneaking up on you. I had an obnoxious system when I younger, but out of habit it got turned down when sitting at intersections just for that reason.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 PM
DTR question asker

Thats great SoTexRattler. You made me think about being next to some big rigs with some "not so legal" radios. I've had them key into my radio before. Scares me when that voice comes through my speakers. I'll have to find out how to get a setup like that in my truck. Still doesnt help with the tailgaters and sports fans telling me I'm number one though. I've been thinking about installing a small one or two inch dgital scrolling sign for the bed of my truck. "Would you like me to open my tailgate", "If you dont stop I will", "You must really like my truck", "If you can read this I cant see you", "Honk if your bleeding". Either that or some q-beams aimed backwards set to flash.
Like this?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1147

I've wanted to do the same thing...
Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

As much as I hate those little rice cars with rattling trunks. I bet people hate it just as much when I mash the pedal and smoke out the intersection because we think its cool. I as much as I hate to say it I guess its a two way street
Old 06-27-2007, 03:05 PM

I will agree

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
As much as I hate those little rice cars with rattling trunks. I bet people hate it just as much when I mash the pedal and smoke out the intersection because we think its cool. I as much as I hate to say it I guess its a two way street
I have to say you guys that are complaining about the noise coming from some of these cars and your doing the same thing without your mufflers, blowing smoke and large tire noise. Have you ever set back to think thats what these people are into? Just like your into your cummins? I happen to love both and have both. granet there are some out there that play music thats not sutabile for kids and thats a no go. But hey this is america and we can do what we want with our cars and truck.
Proud owner of an 06 mega dually and a 2000 durango that hits 158 dbs!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

I do enjoy blasting my 2 12's with 1500w amp but I can only handle it personally for so long before I have to turn it down. And yes I do enjoy it when I've got it cranked and people are looking at me but it's a rare occasion. Just like I enjoy it when people roll their windows up from the noise from the stacks. I really enjoy out bumping those stupid little ricers that think they have a loud system.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM

I had an obnoxious system when I younger, but out of habit it got turned down when sitting at intersections just for that reason.
You, sir, have a great deal more respect for those around you than 99% of the people on the road.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every time I get into this situation I have two thoughts: too many people in general, statistically you will have x% of morons. Here is one. And another thought: maybe one of the especially loud blasts will kill the SOB in that car and I will get to watch his car crash.
Sorry, no sympathy for punks here. And I don't smoke people, and try not to make them uncomfortable otherwise.
-P
Old 06-27-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... and you never know when that emergency vehicle might be sneaking up on you....
My Dad is a Fireman/Paramedic for Bloomingdale, IL, (a suburb of Chicago) and says of all the people on the road, these guys are the worst. They have had idiots like these turn left in front of them because nobody was in the intersection and they couldn't hear the truck or ambulance. They are talking (jokingly) about taking a BB gun with them and shotting the crud outta their radios. Or when they are next to a 7 ton truck with a BHDEWE (Big Honking Diesel Engine With Exhaust), they do the ole smoke trick.

I personally don't like'em either. I am 19 but all I want is something to here over my stacks, NOT from 4 blocks away either!

Jon
Old 06-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by HOHN
Listen to a single JL 8" W8 and you'll wonder why they even make subs bigger than 8"
I agree! I have two JL 8's, they sound real good for my type of music.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:04 PM

Its called a volume control. I have 1000 in to two 12's and 600 for the main speakers. Only time I turn it up is when some idoit gets next to me showing off his boom boom. They just don't expect that from a Freightliner.

Quick Reply: Very little respect.. (rant)