Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Venison recipies

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venison recipies

Anyone got any GOOD recipies for deer? I'm looking for a chilli one for an X-mas party next week.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 PM

do a google search for "deer chilli"
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Throw the deer meat away and order pizza.

I love to hunt em, but I hate to eat em.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:25 PM

Then why hunt them?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just use my regular chili recipe and use ground venison instead of beef.Love anice venison steak on the bbq or big pot of venison stew after being outside in the cold all day.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Like what was said above, just use a regular chili recipe and use the vension. Tastes great and you can hardly tell the difference.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

I gotta look around and find that corned venison recipe,,, buddy amkes it and it is the absolute shiznit for sittin around and shootin the breeze and blowin the froth off a few..... obviously way beter than corned beef
Old 12-15-2005, 03:50 PM

I use reg chili recipe add venison and a little roasted corn. My kids wont eat it any other way. I also like to stuff the neck roast with bread stuffing mixed with sauted vegatables and chicken stock. I roll the neck uplike a pin wheel and tie it off, man I am hungry!!
Old 12-15-2005, 04:22 PM

I'd like to have that corned venison recipe please if you find it.
Venison is a very good meat as long as it is properly handled and processed and it is not over cooked. Most folks try to cook the game out of it! Cant be done , the more you cook it the worse it gets.
I have shot many a rut buck and never had a bad or gamey tasting one. I think because of the way I process it , I do it all myself and I age it. I think that makes the big difference.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:04 PM

It's all in the way you cook it. Low and slow. It's so lean it dries out. Consider a crock pot, and use some strips of bacon over the roast to keep it from drying out.

I get about 2/3 rds of my deer turned into burger. During processing, the butcher adds about 10% pork to it. That makes all the difference in the world. The wife will use it anything that calls for burger.

Nothing beats a crock pot full of hot venison stew or venison chili waiting for you after a long cold day of hunting.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by dawgo1
I'd like to have that corned venison recipe please if you find it.
Venison is a very good meat as long as it is properly handled and processed and it is not over cooked. Most folks try to cook the game out of it! Cant be done , the more you cook it the worse it gets.
I have shot many a rut buck and never had a bad or gamey tasting one. I think because of the way I process it , I do it all myself and I age it. I think that makes the big difference.
100% true! Any lean meat will taste terrible of over cooked. A friend raises EMU's and it is the same way. The crock with some barbque sauce is a good way to go. Ground is great too. Makes for excellent meat loaf. I'm not much for stews. If I want soup I'll go for some clam chowder or brocli cheese.

In chili I would cook the meat seperatly (just short of fully done) and add it to your chili mix towards the end. Unlike beef there won't be any flavor added from cooking the meat in the chili.

Randy
Old 12-16-2005, 04:17 AM

I was raised on it and more often than not it was the only meat we could get back in my growin' up days but I never got tired of it and my door is always open if any of my friends have any extra to get rid of.
I fry it up in cow butter and it always makes a good meal for me,just like the old days.
My lady doesn't like it very well and that suits me just fine!!) Ron G
Old 12-16-2005, 05:10 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For my chili, I use steak tips, or stew cuts, and brown it in water in a skillet.
Just enough water to keep it from scorching, and untill just barely browned in the center, this keeps it tender and gets the little fat in it out before putting it in the crock pot with the rest of the chili.
2 lbs meat( ground beef, stew meat or venison/bison cubed and browned)
Two cans Red or Pinto Beans
small can tomato paste
large can stewed, sliced tomato
3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced or bits
large green/red bell pepper diced to about 1/4 inch pieces
medium white onion, chopped
1 cup water
1/2 tblespoon cocoa powder
1 tblespoon red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tblespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumino
1 teaspoon masa flour

place all ingredients in a 1 1/2 Qt Crock pot and cook on low heat for about 6-7 hours.
add more or less spices to taste, this is a very basic recipe.
When heated threw out, and beans are soft, mix masa into 1/4 cup HOT water to make a paste, stir into chili, cook another 20-30 minutes to thicken.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:53 AM

Randy, if yo can get some elk fat try that in your hamburger instead of the pork fat. It has the most wonderful flavor. When we get elk we strip all the fat off we can and freeze it for later use in cooking and hamburger. It has been said that wild meat fat shuold not be used because that is secondary toxin storage , but the way I see it, I would rather eat elk fat and take my chances then eat store bought anything fat pumped full of whatever they figure will make them grow fast. We raise our own meat; phesants, chickens, turkeys, beef ,goat, lamb and hunt and fish for what we can pull tags for. I think we are better of health wise than most folks I know.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

Now I really gotta find my recipe..... got one hangin in the garage right now, sleep who needs sleep, I was up at 1:45 am and salted a few roads, got home checked the weather, shoot- perfect for a lil huntin......... that lil six point thought he was quick, too bad he wasn't faster than the winchester buckshot !

Quick Reply: Venison recipies