Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Vehicle alarms: Who has them, pro's and con's

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle alarms: Who has them, pro's and con's

I'm seriously considering getting alarms for my trucks because of a rash of break-ins and crime starting to rise in my area. I'm looking at getting a Viper alarm for both of my trucks and was wondering if any of you folks have installed one before.

Thanks.

Kris
Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have a Viper alarm in my truck, it is about 2 years old now and it is a good alarm, I have had 3 so far.

It has an external antenna high on the windshield so it has excellent range with the transmitter, I can sit in my house about 75 feet away through the walls and watch my surveillance monitor and set my alarm.
I have not looked at your alarm in question but it looks like a good one with alarms, you get what you pay for.

I also made a few modifications to my alarm, I have LED's front and rear to show it is armed, flash my relayed headlights, flash all of my relayed marker lights, I also replaced the tiny siren it came with and installed 1) 30-watt siren under the hood, 1) 15-watt siren inside the camper shell to protect my tools and a 120db ultrasonic Pain Generator inside the cab.

My alarm is so loud and has so much sound pressure that it will get you sick to your stomach if you are too close to it.

When it goes off all of my neighbors will know.
I used to install residential and commercial burglar alarms and I had a few parts left over.
You should hear my house alarm.

They are pretty easy to install, it is just a bit time consuming to do it right (at least to my standards) the only tricky part is when you wire up the relays to interface your door locks, solder all of your connections and hide your reset switch somewhere other than where they suggest it, maybe behind your ash tray.

Also don’t put all of your trust in your alarm also install yourself an additional starter interrupt switch, fuel solenoid cutoff and if you wanted to get fancy you could install a Mico-Lock to lock your hydraulic brakes, so besides your alarm going off, your truck will not start and it they tried to tow it, the brakes are locked.

That should keep it in your driveway.

Jim
Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep putting it off. Got my truck without it because I didnt want "one more thing that could go wrong". Sort of regret it and will really regret it if the truck gets stolen.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 PM
I watch wind blow...

if your worried about truck theft, one word. RAVELCO.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

$450 bucks!! Seems like a lot but if their claims of Not One Vehicle Stolen are true, that might be pretty cheap insurance.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm going to do some more research on this device.

Kris
Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM

They can't steal the trucks with the chipped keys. As for break ins, I have a Compustar Pro and it is amazing. So far, the best range I have ever seen. Check them out...
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
They can't steal the trucks with the chipped keys.
Chipped keys will not defeat a wrecker.

They will keep an amateur from driving the vehicle off though.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:11 AM

I'm just trying to prevent the smash and grab, and adding some additional layers to what is there just to make things harder. Thieves won't mess with the complicated stuff because they know the longer they're out in the open the more likely they'll be caught.

I wanted this one since it has bump sensors and will tell you whats going on with the alarm/vehicle once it's armed and you're not nearby.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 AM

When thieves want something that´s in your car/truck, they´ll get it. But an alarm might make it a bit more difficult to steal the stereo or navigation unit. As for stealing the truck, from all I´ve rad on this site...and I´ve read a lot...Ravelco is the way to go.

Kris
Old 03-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

There is a company that makes a clear window film that will stop the smash and grab. It goes on like window tint.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Here is the site for window film.
http://www.co-opdirect.com/shattersafe.html
Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Thx for the link

Maybe I should start a business over here to sell the window film and Ravelco. Already had contact with Ravelco a year or two ago. I´ll have to think about it.

Kris