Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Valet parking

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
... but for the most part my Glock is ALWAYS on my hip.
And here I just thought Hoss was happy to see us

~Rob
Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 AM

If i ever go to a place with valet parking nobody will park the truck but me.They only time some one has parked the truck was at my grandmothers funeral and it was a bunch of older gentalmen so we trusted them.A couple gas stations in town pump your fuel for you and if I happen to stop there to fill up i dont even let them fill the truck up i get out and tell him that i would rather pump it,i have heard of to many stories of them pumping gas into the tank instead of diesel.

Jeff
Old 01-17-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Without actually coming out and saying WHY I was not going to let him in my truck, I made it VERY clear to him that he could NOT drive my truck. He insisted that he park it again so I told him to go and get his manager. I explained once again to his manager that I could NOT let him drive my truck and that if they continued to insist on it then we would go eat elsewhere. The manager explained that the valet guy was just trying to do his job, but that they would "allow" me to park my truck myself in order to keep my business. The valet guy then told me where he wanted me to park and I did.

So you gave them a hard time, then went inside to eat??? I know how they work up North no way would I have done that.

I prefer the method used in one of those old jail movies (forget the name sorry) They put the colors around the mens neck and if they left the fence area, booom, off with there head. Slap that on the guy and say if anything's wrong with the truck BOOOOOM Bet it would come back washed and detailed too.

I won't let anybody park my truck. If the guy scratchs a Miata parking it, no way is he gonna park a 20 foot long tank. Nope

Anway no valet for me, I can't afford rich places. (unless tacobell or burger king starts it)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:30 PM

Talking

Hello All, this is my first post and just want to thank you all for the great info you provide to people like me.
I had to reply to this post because I am a valet, been doing it for about 3 years now. I work at a Hotel downtown and we have the most screwed up parking in town, it's very tight and we park four in a row meaning to get one out I sometimes have to move three and then back them all back in, so in my case it is only valet parking because it's just to friggin tight.
If I go somewhere to valet my truck I don't think twice. Most valets have lots of experience with every kind of truck and know what a diesel is and how to drive one, They certainly don't have the time to go snooping around someones truck or to go driving around the block for fun. I have the chiefs of police stay here all the time, we park all their cars all with plenty of weaponry, if someone has a gun they usually just tell me and I say don't worry about it. I just don't have the time and I've seen it all hundreds of times. The only time I let someone park it themselves is if I've got one single spot with nothing around it they can back it in, it usually takes them about 10 minuites till they get frustrated cause they can't get it backed in to a tight spot then they hand me the keys. All I'm saying is just have a little faith give him your keys, let him park the car.Then give him a fiver on the way out!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
Yeah. I'm gonna give some kid who's my age the keys to my two babies.
Now that's just funny.

Yeah, I'm gonna let some kid like you valet park MY truck!!

My wife and I met some friends at Benihana one night for dinner. This particular Benihana ONLY allowed valet parking (if you wanted to park in their lot). That particular night I had my Glock in the console of my truck. There was no way I was going to let the kid drive my truck with a loaded pistol in the console. I insisted that I park it myself and he insisted that I was not allowed to "for insurance reasons". I tried to be polite, but it finally got to the point where I told him that either I was going to park my truck myself or he was going to have to go get his manager and explain why I was leaving the establishment. He finally gave in.

After we had eaten and were leaving the restaurant, I pulled the kid off to the side and explained to him why I could not allow him to drive my truck. I didn't actually tell him I had a gun in there, but I said something to the affect of "I have things in my truck that would be illegal for you to be in possession of". I then tipped him $5 for the trouble and we went on our way.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

Now why wouldn't you let me valet park your truck? I don't understand. Did I offend you in some way?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:34 PM

[Sigh...]

I just realized that this is a REALLY old thread and that I just repeated the exact same story I told in March of last year.

Oh well...at least I was somewhat consistent.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I dont care if the valet is a kid or an old man.....they arent driving my truck. I sometimes let my buddies drive the beast....but they, like myself, have been around these trucks for a while.....and know how to handle them.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Now why wouldn't you let me valet park your truck? I don't understand. Did I offend you in some way?
Not at all. It's like you said....I'm just not gonna let some kid who is your age valet park my truck. In fact, I don't really care how old the person is. If I have a choice I'll be doing the parking.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:41 PM
JKM

I have never been to a place with a Valet , or even heard of one around here....

Wonder if they could park this for me:

Old 01-17-2006, 03:59 PM

A few years ago I was at the shore and had to suck it up and park in a lot because there were no free spots within a mile of the beach and I had my girlfriend with me. I pay my $10 and park, and the kid (my age, I was about 19 at the time) tells me I need to leave my keys in case they have to move my truck in case they need to fit more cars in the lot. "No problem" I say, leaving him the keys. I was driving my '77 Land Cruiser, and for those of you who don't know that year was equipped with a manual choke.

Needless to say I returned to the lot in the late afternoon and the kid comes up to me sheepishly and says "Ummm, we tried to move your truck but it wouldn't start-uhhhh, I can call a tow truck if you need me to." I inform him that won't be necessary, I ask for my keys, and he hands them to me dumbfounded. My girlfriend and I jump in, I yank the choke, and she starts on the first crank. I waved at the parking attendants on the way out-they just stared.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:58 PM

I usually don't let them park my vehicles for the same reason that hoss doesent.. Although I don't have a glock....

The one kid that insisted (also at Bennihana) and kicked me out of the lot in a rude manner was a little miffed to meet me a few days later when he made an illegal u turn...

I did however allow them to park a black and white car with funny red and blue lights on top... they declined and asked me to park it myself..