Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Valet parking

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Target and Taco Bell start offering valet services, I guess I will worry about it then

~Rob
Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 AM

I don't use valet parking. Guess I'm a cheeepskate. For my key ring, It has a quick disconnect for the truck key. and the van key. So no one gets the whole set of keys. Also carry an extra key. Have had too many lost by gragfes, dealers etc.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only places I've seen around here that offer Valet parking put the vehicle in underground
or other covered parking.

As the clearance for these areas is under 7" (6'9" for most) I don't have to worry.

Makes one wonder though, where would they put my truck, or would the underpaid idiot not even pay attention?
Do they have insurance to pay for a missing roof if they tried?

I think I'll just park it myself.

phox
Old 03-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread reminded me of a semi-argument I got into with a valet guy one time. The story goes like this:

My wife and I and a couple friend of ours all went to Benihana in my truck for dinner. I pulled up to let them all out and the valet guy wanted to take my truck. I was driving a Ford F-250 auto at the time and I PROBABLY would have let him take it....except that I happened to have a Glock pistol in the center console. I should note that the only parking at the restaurant was valet parking and it was free.

I explained to him that I could not let him drive my truck but if he would SHOW me where he wanted it parked then I'd gladly park it and still give him a tip when I left. He explained to me that HE had to park it because of "insurance reasons".

Without actually coming out and saying WHY I was not going to let him in my truck, I made it VERY clear to him that he could NOT drive my truck. He insisted that he park it again so I told him to go and get his manager. I explained once again to his manager that I could NOT let him drive my truck and that if they continued to insist on it then we would go eat elsewhere. The manager explained that the valet guy was just trying to do his job, but that they would "allow" me to park my truck myself in order to keep my business. The valet guy then told me where he wanted me to park and I did.

As we were leaving I pulled the valet guy aside and explained to him that I wasn't trying to be a ***** earlier in the evening, but that I had certain "items" in my truck that would be illegal for him to be in possession of and illegal for me to give him access to. I don't know if he realized what I was talking about and it doesn't really matter, but he at least acknowledged that he understood. I then gave him a tip for his troubles (because I believed that he really WAS just doing what he'd been told).

All that said...I wouldn't let a valet guy take my truck now simply because I know at least two people who have had things stolen from their cars when they let the valet folks park them.

Edited for corrections....I think I misspelled "valet" EVERY single time I typed it.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:31 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

nothing like having a CCW license and walking past the valet sliding your 45 back where it belongs.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valet? Yeah right!!

I have to eat in places that seat me so I can see my truck!!!

As to the .45 I've found that they do no good locked inside my truck, but then again I would have no idea as to what you're talking about
Old 03-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Fronty Owner
nothing like having a CCW license and walking past the valet sliding your 45 back where it belongs.
I had (and still have) a CCW, but was not carrying it on my body that night because I couldn't conceal it with the clothes I was wearing. I still have to do that on occasion, but for the most part my Glock is ALWAYS on my hip.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:22 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

For the most part, I dress to carry wheather I am or not. But then again, I dont often eat at places with valet parking. Mostly at hotels is where I see it.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Banned

NOBODY drives my truck but me!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 PM

Wow, you guys have valet parking around where you live?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Yup, plenty of Valet parking around here.
I just don't go to places where they won't let me park it.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:00 PM

people that drive 1980 toyotas for minimum wage frighten me.....

My truck has gotten hit twice this year (that i know of) while parked in lots. Both times resulted in the hitch drawbar re-styling the other cars hood, but still...... I DONT LIKE PARKING LOTS
Old 01-17-2006, 02:37 AM

I'm usually the ***** in the back of the lot that parks in 2 spaces. I always offer to drop the wife off at the place, but she likes the walk with me. If I put a dent in my truck, (which I have) is one things if someone else does it for me......
Old 01-17-2006, 04:51 AM

Patrick, you're ok and I don't blame you regaining control of the truck; but I gotta admit that I was thinking that you musta pegged the funmeter taking the gf and parents out on the town in the tractor.

All you need to hear is one horror story about valet parking to not to want to ever use it again. Like an old gf who destroyed her volvo 940 engine after it leaked the coolant out on the deck while valet parked. She drove it "part of the way" home with little/no coolant in it.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by t-7 firefighter
NO ONE drives my truck besides me. end of story.
Wouldn't the guy that now owns it be allowed to drive it

~Rob

Quick Reply: Valet parking