Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

US Postal Rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 04:45 PM

US Postal Rant

Just needed to vent about postal service. Have a customer who "didn't receive" important letter I sent them. So I pay $6 to send another certified mail receipt. Call this morning(Mon.) customer hasn't received it either. I track the package and it was attempted to deliver on Sat. afternoon. Business was obviously closed. I tell postal worker to re deliver. She informs me that only the recipient can request redelivery. I told her that I paid $6 to have it delivered and that the customer doesn't want the letter or a signed receipt proving they got it. She says they will return it to me in so many days.
Is it just me or is that stupid. I pay to have proof they received it. And now I am depending on them to schedule the delivery and if they don't it comes back to me.
Seems like poor policy. But I guess the postal service is Government run.
Old 10-06-2008 | 04:48 PM
Banned

Call and tell them you are the customer and to deliver it during working hours!
Old 10-06-2008 | 04:50 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I don't think that is has anything to do with the govt, I believe that it is a private org, just protected by the govt...
Old 10-06-2008 | 05:19 PM

I did tell the lady that I was the customer and the one who paid to have it delivered and I wanted them to deliver it tomorrow. She again informed me that only the recipient could call to tell them when to deliver it. I told her thanks for nothing. That the service I paid for was not any better than the regular mail service.
The sad part is if I boycott every business that does sorry service I will not be able to use anyone.
Old 10-06-2008 | 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Call and tell them you are the customer and to deliver it during working hours!
Originally Posted by lumberman
I did tell the lady that I was the customer and the one who paid to have it delivered and I wanted them to deliver it tomorrow. She again informed me that only the recipient could call to tell them when to deliver it. I told her thanks for nothing. That the service I paid for was not any better than the regular mail service.
The sad part is if I boycott every business that does sorry service I will not be able to use anyone.
i think he meant call the post office and tell them you are the person who you sent it too (the recipient) requesting a re-delivery durning business hours.
Old 10-06-2008 | 05:40 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Oh, BTW... I use my UPS store for everything now. I hate the USPS...
Old 10-06-2008 | 06:16 PM

Just needed to vent about postal service. Have a customer who "didn't receive" important letter I sent them. So I pay $6 to send another certified mail receipt. Call this morning(Mon.) customer hasn't received it either. I track the package and it was attempted to deliver on Sat. afternoon. Business was obviously closed. I tell postal worker to re deliver. She informs me that only the recipient can request redelivery. I told her that I paid $6 to have it delivered and that the customer doesn't want the letter or a signed receipt proving they got it. She says they will return it to me in so many days.
Is it just me or is that stupid. I pay to have proof they received it. And now I am depending on them to schedule the delivery and if they don't it comes back to me.
Seems like poor policy. But I guess the postal service is Government run.
They are following proper procedure . All the recipient has to do is notify them when they will be there to receive it . How can you predict when the customer will be there ? The customer is creating the problem refusing to sign . What proof of delivery do you have if there is no signature ? I'm sure you will be happier with UPS . They don't have a problem leaving packages on doorsteps when no one is there to sign for it .
Old 10-06-2008 | 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cmac
i think he meant call the post office and tell them you are the person who you sent it too (the recipient) requesting a re-delivery durning business hours.
That is what I meant.
Old 10-06-2008 | 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
I don't think that is has anything to do with the govt, I believe that it is a private org, just protected by the govt...
The USPS is a government agency . The misconception people have is that it operates on revenue from taxes . It has it's own revenue structure and gets no money from taxes .
Old 10-06-2008 | 07:04 PM

I did call the post office. They will not re send it out for delivery for me. The recipient has to call them. The recipient is not cooperating but if the post office would redeliver during normal business hours.(not sat. after 12) The business would recieve it.
Old 10-06-2008 | 07:06 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by RickG
The USPS is a government agency . The misconception people have is that it operates on revenue from taxes . It has it's own revenue structure and gets no money from taxes .
Like I said... I could be wrong...
Old 10-06-2008 | 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
Like I said... I could be wrong...
You were pretty much right . No other government department regulates it . A lot of people complain to postal workers about how their tax money is being used . They are the ones that are wrong . You could end up being prophetic . More postal contracts are being bid out and postal workers fear a buyout by FedEx .
Old 10-06-2008 | 08:01 PM
Banned

Fed Ex is already carrying about 60 % of the mail.
Old 10-06-2008 | 08:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RickG
More postal contracts are being bid out and postal workers fear a buyout by FedEx .
Then maybe packages would get to their destinations somewhat on time for a change. It takes over 5 days to get a piece of mail from the Boston area to the Michigan area. Send it over-night and it gets there in 2 days. Granted, we get our money back, but what good is that? I needed it there OVER-NIGHT! Fed-Ex has been pretty decent and in some cases, cheaper.

chaikwa.
Old 10-06-2008 | 08:15 PM
Banned

I did call the post office. They will not re send it out for delivery for me. The recipient has to call them. The recipient is not cooperating but if the post office would redeliver during normal business hours.(not sat. after 12) The business would recieve it.
As I said call and say you are the recipient and have them redeliver. Now if the guy on the other end does not want what you are sending well then that is another story and it would not matter when or if it was sent as he would just dodge it.

This goes for all the other carriers, if no one will sign for a signature required delivery then it will not get delivered.

Quick Reply: US Postal Rant