Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Update on "Lfe kinda sucks"

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on "Lfe kinda sucks"

Well, after talking to some lawyers.....................this is the basic response:
Thomas,
In short, there are some legal avenues you could pursue, but you have to decide if it is worth it. The bigger you blow this up, the more likely it is that the union officials, company, etc will start to see you as a troublemaker not worth employing (I'm assuming you're a construction worker who gets work out of hiring hall) . You could end up blacklisted and filing endless charges just to get irregular work.
The underlying issue is that you were trying to enforce the health and safety regulations, a member got angry over it. The union membership needs people like you who stand up for contract enforcement. Its unclear what other members think about this. Usually they admire someone like you and are glad to have you on the site with them because you stick up for their rights. But often they are afraid of getting fired or provoking the kind of reaction from company suck ups like what you got.
It makes no sense for you to go to war over this, risk your livelihood if others will not back you up.
Give me a call if you'd like to discuss this further. Also, I highly recommend signing up on our list. You'll get our literature and be able to follow the stories in our newsletter of others who are trying to build strong unions in situations like this. Sign up info at www.uniondemocracy.org.
Carl Biers
Tom
Old 08-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

Sounds like a lose-lose situation there Tom..goodluck Hope you make the right choice
Old 08-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Life ain't exactly fair sometimes.

Note to self:
If in the course of my work I observe a coworker performing a task and not abiding by all ordained safety rules,.............
Walk quicky to the other end of the worksite.

I see Nuuuuuuthing
Old 08-19-2004, 06:32 PM

Well Ed, The problem I see with that is a "what if" situation. If I see you doing something clearly unsafe, I will say something to you about it. Not chew your butt mind you, but at least to let you know that you should do it in a different manner. What if you do not say anything and the other person get hurt from their unsafe actions? It does get to be a problem. If we as working people "police" ourselves OSHA will have less and less to do. If we don't..........the only action I see there is more regulations.
HOWEVER, I still have the option of pursuing the matter in civil court. I don't know what I will do, but there is still the matter pending of his court date for 3dr degree assault. If he is convicted he Will have a felony on his record AND I will have some say as to the sentence handed down. So we will see.
Tom
Old 08-19-2004, 07:02 PM

Too bad the way it's going, Tom. And I thought losing my wallet was bad

On a lighter note, maybe we SHOULD just have Andy go up there and talk to him And if Andy goes down, I'll be behind him... Running!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:17 PM

Tom you can hold your head up high, he was wrong in what he did,sounds like it is in the best interest for you to let the court do its thing and move on. Goodluck,,,Rick
Old 08-19-2004, 07:33 PM

Matt, Trust me, I have thought long and hard about that!!!
Rick, I think you are right even though I am still madder than a wet hornet about it.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must have missed a thread or something cause I'm lost. (like that's something new)

I am in the nuclear industry and have been for over 22 years now. I have never had an incident yet and don't plan too. We are taught to COACH one another when it comes to safety and the proper use of PPE. Safety is the number one concern here and it is discussed at the beginning of every meeting, training session, pre-job brief, and even at the morning managers (big wigs) meetings. If you don't adhere or believe in safety, don't let the door hit you on the way out the gate, you've no place here.

Is this cool or what?
Old 08-20-2004, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
I must have missed a thread or something cause I'm lost. (like that's something new)
DD4x4 (and others),
Here is the original thread: Original Thread

~Rob
Old 08-20-2004, 06:34 AM

Soooo, other than seeing the occasional snow mobiler thinking he's on a jet-ski, no long lasting effects?

Thanks for the update. Still plumbing?
Nat
Old 08-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read the original story, WOW.

There is a picture around here at work of a staple that bounced back and stuck in the guys safety glass lens. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:05 AM

Tom it is truly unfortunate but the longer we live the more we find out that no one promised us things would be fair and equal or even make sense for that matter. To get smacked in the head for doing the right thing sucks. If it were me this joker would be sleeping with one eye open but you sound like you have more restraint than I have and I salute you for that. Many have sacrificed all for what they believe in and each had at least some choice even though your choice was not popular within the brethern you can still hold your head up. One thing about people who choose to handle things the way this guy did , is that sooner or latter we all meet our match or our better and it's Katie bar the door. Good luck and feel well.