Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Undercoating bottom of truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercoating bottom of truck

Anyone spray the bottom of their truck with stuff such as POR-15 to combat rust? I am considering spraying the entire underside of my truck. I know it will take a lot of time and material but it may pay off in the end. What kind of stuff did you guys use?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I did half my frame about 4 years ago, and it still looks good in that area, being I'm on dirt roads. Just have rust streaks from crevices I couldn't get into. Por-15 takes a heck of a lot of prep work but seems to be good stuff. As long as there are no surprises, I plan on replaceing my cab real soon and will pick up where I left off on the frame, and probably hit the cab a bit, as well as fabbed bumpers.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:43 AM

Anyone ever thought about a spray in bed liner on the bottom of the cab? It would stip rust and seal any small holes in the floor......haha I have big dreams and no money, but that could be a good idea couldn't it?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, unercoat the bottom of a vehicle with something thick like spray in bedliner. In the long run it will CAUSE more problems then it prevents.
Reason; Unless there is 100% adhesion on 100% of the metal, in time some will peel away and form pockets which trap moisture, salt and other yucky stuff that WILL attack the metal you are tryingto protect. The bad thing is that with the undercoating being so thick, even with a close inspection, you will probably not be able to see the problems.
Thin protective material such as paint will work much better. The best is the special oil designed for this job. This oil is sprayed on and is designed to creep into faying surfaces and even appears to defy gravity.
BTW, did I mention that you must NEVER coat the underside of a vehicle with thick paint?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

We paint all of ours(3) underneath to make them look good.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

I agree with Mexstan.........with having a thick coat on everything it's impossible to see if there is any problems starting underneath the stuff....which could end up screwing you!!!!

I'd crawl under there and sand up the frame to get all the nasty junk off of there, and use a nice FLAT black paint to cover the entire thing.....that way if you do start to notice rust ( which will be very obvious ) you can jump on it quick and take care of it!!! Then when you are done, just grab your paint and blend the spot you fixed and you'll be good to go!!!

~Nick
Old 06-19-2006, 05:37 PM

I coated the entire underside of a CJ-7 that I had once while I was replacing the tub. It was properly prepped and applied so I was real happy with the results. Although I can see what Stan was pointing out, too.

My only piece of advice would be to make sure that you mask off your drive shaft when you apply the stuff ... getting enough of the goop on one side of the shaft will actually throw the thing off balance and cause a vibration that is a real bear to try to locate .... wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it happen on a buddys Bronco .

PISTOL