Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Trying to cut tree down......with ak-47

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try a mg-42. that will rid you of that pesky tree
Old 01-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Man, I wish I could step out the back door and start blasting trees. Too built up around here.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

We used up some red tip 308 ammo on New Years eve. Ten rounds in the air at the same time from an old model 742, very pretty. From the house we can shoot into Cook Inlet so no safety problems.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM

How many actually hit the tree? I see a bit of deviation from the target ...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bark
We used up some red tip 308 ammo on New Years eve. Ten rounds in the air at the same time from an old model 742, very pretty. From the house we can shoot into Cook Inlet so no safety problems.
I love my old 742 in .308, never jams and cheapo ammo 7.62x51. Killed many deer.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyFloyd
Looks like fun. When the dove are not flying worth a dern we should trees with a 12 gauge. What
When bird hunting never forget to pack a couple boxes of slugs and your improved choke . I've taken down many a tree among other things when bored .
Old 01-04-2008, 02:39 AM

Haha alright, amost any 7.62 will rip through body armor easy. Body armor is only made to stop pistol rounds and some metal fragments unless you get the steel plate which is still not very impressive. 7.62 ammo does some major dammage but I prefer 5.56 it might not have the same punch but my RRA LAR-15 always hits what I'm aiming at.

I used to shoot a SAR-1(Romanian semiauto AKM(New Version of the AK47)) Before I had the 1200 dollars to stick into an AR15 and now I will never go back.

And just to edumacate you guys a little bit, that gun isnt a knock off AK-47 its a knock off AKM. An AKM is basicly the same gun just cheaper and easier to make due to thinner stamped steel.

Anyways looks like fun! I always use my shot gun for those pesky trees when I go up camping. No sense in wasting all of that energy chopping down a tree when you have a gun!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 AM

Our new SAPI's plates are rated for stopping armor piercing 7.62 rounds, seen a plate take 20 rounds during a demonstration, only a few pierced through just enough that would cause skin penetration. If you get shot 20 times, than you're not using cover when you're supposed to be or you're in the Army(haha, just kidding).
Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmay2
How many actually hit the tree? I see a bit of deviation from the target ...
Actually my AK is ported and i have a lot of work done to it. It has a firing mechanism which when i pull the trigger it fires, and when i let off the trigger it fires again, so for each pull you get 2 shots. The gun is very accurate, probaly 60 out of the 64 hit the tree from 35 yards away.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Man, I wish I could step out the back door and start blasting trees. Too built up around here.
haha yeah its nice to be able to do it, no houses even close to me. we have 450 acres we own surrounding my house
Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 AM

you can make an AWESOME slug that trees will shutter in the sight of it out of a regular 7 1/2 shot 12 or 20 gauge shell. kinda hard to explain but about a quarter inch above the brass "or aluminum" you take a knife and cut the shell about half way around then move over about an eighth of an inch and cut almost all the way back around again leaving about a eighth inch uncut and only cut throught the plastic when your done you should have two semi circle cuts with two little arms still holding on and make sure you dont have a choke in you gun. the tree WONT last long. and notice when the shell ejects you only eject the brass with about a quarter inch of plastic on top. (ONE AT A TIME)
Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by Ryan Hyatt
you can make an AWESOME slug that trees will shutter in the sight of it out of a regular 7 1/2 shot 12 or 20 gauge shell. kinda hard to explain but about a quarter inch above the brass "or aluminum" you take a knife and cut the shell about half way around then move over about an eighth of an inch and cut almost all the way back around again leaving about a eighth inch uncut and only cut throught the plastic when your done you should have two semi circle cuts with two little arms still holding on and make sure you dont have a choke in you gun. the tree WONT last long. and notice when the shell ejects you only eject the brass with about a quarter inch of plastic on top. (ONE AT A TIME)
Thats the old "slug in a pinch" shell. Very effective on bowling ***** as well I have to see if I can find the pic around the house somewhere.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Lord how I love this stuff. Wish more people understood that most "gun nuts" arent nuts. Oops, better not turn this thread. Chopping down a tree with an AK47 is more relaxing than bowling (and probably cheaper).
Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Chapter President

Well after watching Mythbusters you will need a Dillon mini to take down a 2ft wide pine tree, in 45 seconds. 30 per second, 3,000 rounds per minute. HA! Man I want a turret on my truck now.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Snow
no, i mean they are like black talons, the tips and all, but the 7.62 is illegal. I'm not sure of the exact name of it. if i figure it out i will let people know. i think you can buy them online so long as you can get past customs

i think they were ban around the same time as the black talons

The legal back talon knock offs are now called Ranger SXT without the Lubalox coating on them. I have some black talons but they dont do anywhere as much damage as these AK bullets i have now.
Are they a full metal jacket with a black painted tip? if so the black painted tip means armor piercing (correct me if im wrong) and therefore illegal, i have seen a few of these for a 30-06 and have shot a few at an old engine block, Very effective!!

Quick Reply: Trying to cut tree down......with ak-47