Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The true history of grits.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
And don't get too cocky about the War, the next one you might just find yourself on the wrong side of, just about all the Manufacturing has fled to south of the line.
Yeah, the Mexican/American line. Moving to Mexico are ya?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
That's because I haven't put my .02 in yet. Northern born, closet redneck ( Indiana, could go either way )

Luv my grits............... And don't get too cocky about the War, the next one you might just find yourself on the wrong side of, just about all the Manufacturing has fled to south of the line.
And don't forget that we have the bulk of the crude oil refineries down here too. Your CTD might look a little funny being pulled by a donkey when the diesel runs low up north.........
Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
I would love to try grits some time and in fact a bunch of my coworkers in Houston have said they will take me for grits the next time I am in town. There is another southern delicacy I have avoided to date, but not because I think I won't like it, instead I think I will like it too much. I have never tried biscuits and sausage gravy when I am in the south. I am 99.9% sure I would really like biscuits and gravy, right up to the moment my heart stops

DW and I really like polenta, which is made from yellow cornmeal, a bit of moisture (usually chicken broth) and parmesean. You mix it all up and heat until it is soft and thick. Pour into a cookie sheet and let cool. Then either fry it or cook on the grill for a bit. Often the Italians smother it in red sauce or sometimes just eat it plain. We have a huge can of hominy in the pantry we need to figure out how to use too. I bet I would really like good grits.
Man... I could make you a believer... I've had people get into fights over my OL's biscuits and gravy... a pregnant chick told me one time she wanted to take a bath in the gravy...

I should send care packages with instructions...
Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I almost forgot, crap on a shingle with a heaping side if grits and hot sauce.

Scott, never had grits in my life till I went to basic/airborne at Ft Benning. Then I had them at nearly every hot meal we had.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Originally Posted by madhat
Man... I could make you a believer... I've had people get into fights over my OL's biscuits and gravy... a pregnant chick told me one time she wanted to take a bath in the gravy...

I should send care packages with instructions...
Mad, I wish I could figure out a sensible way to ship food. DW and I make a broad assortment of very popular sausage and pepperoni sticks. I owe Scotty a big batch of chicken sausage and JWBM a bunch of bratwurst. Our smoked kielbasa or the pepperoni sticks all go down really nicely with a nice cold beer. If there was any sensible way I could do it, I would trade you sausage snacks for a biscuits and gravy care package. I bet you and your brother could polish off a lot of kielbasa sitting in the garage killing a few pints.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I notice that all youse guys that like grits are southerners. Well, except for Tim, and he's a Truckie. Everyone knows they're a little different anyway. But you southerners just remember; you lost the war too!

As usual, you northerners got things all twisted around, messed up, and backwards.

What really happened, in the first 6 months of the war, the south invaded the north, realized what it was like up there and gave up... took the north 3-1/2 years to finally take over after we gave up...
Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Not to hijack the thread, hopefully just a minor detour. DW and I love Mexican food. She makes her own corn tortillas, tamales and salsa verde (we grow the onions and tomatillos ourselves). Any suggestions from the southerners about what we do with the big tin of hominy my sister gave us?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:48 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I always had hominy as a side dish.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Scott, never had grits in my life till I went to basic/airborne at Ft Benning. Then I had them at nearly every hot meal we had.
Because you had to? Or because you WANTED to?

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
As usual, you northerners got things all twisted around, messed up, and backwards.

What really happened, in the first 6 months of the war, the south invaded the north, realized what it was like up there and gave up... took the north 3-1/2 years to finally take over after we gave up...
I gotta admit, that's pretty creative of you!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, hopefully just a minor detour. DW and I love Mexican food. She makes her own corn tortillas, tamales and salsa verde (we grow the onions and tomatillos ourselves). Any suggestions from the southerners about what we do with the big tin of hominy my sister gave us?
I love hominy heated up in the microwave put some butter and pepper on it
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 PM

Grits taste good with butter although I hardly eat them I usually have eggs bacon or spicy sausage and hash browns with English muffins with butter or an omelet, or biscuits and sausage gravy.. Dam now I cant wait till breakfast!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Any suggestions from the southerners about what we do with the big tin of hominy my sister gave us?
Not real inventive, but we like to take some Kelbasa, ( couple of Lbs. ) cut it up into slices ( 1/4" or so ) fry them up, then add the Hominy and a can of corn and simmer it for a half hour or so, always gets eaten up pretty quickly at our house.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I'll eat anything...once!

Poi....not what I expected. Not needing it again.
Vegemite.....whoa. nasty stuff.
Grits.....not bad at all. Just never see them offered up here.
Chutney...good with a really good English style curry.
Caviar.....no thanks, I'd rather eat the fish it came from.
Escargot.....odd, pleasantly surprised. Not really searching it out
Clams and oysters...only fresh dug/shucked...
Giffeltefisk.....barf!!
Menudo...ooooohhh! Homecooked only, the canned stuff is not really that great.
Goat's milk...will do in a pinch, pretty rich.
Haggas...depends how traditional it is, some quite tasty, some offal...get it?!ha ha
Old 05-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Best Mexican food I ever had was off the back of a roach coach.
I use hominy just like regular corn. Goes good in a shepherd's pie. That's nothing more than a pound of browned ground beef, your favorite mix of vegetables, topped off with a thick layer of mashed potatoes and baked til it's all heated up.

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Vegemite.....whoa. nasty stuff.
Escargot.....odd, pleasantly surprised. Not really searching it out
Giffeltefisk.....barf!!
Seems I've seen a video where a newsgirl ate some lutefisk and immediately barfed- on camera.

High school French teacher gave out French recipes and had kids bring in dishes for Mardi Gras. She made escargot for the 2nd-3rd-4th year classes. It wasn't bad. As long as you didn't notice it was the same texture as the mushroom cap it was cooked in.

I don't know how, but the Aussies came up with something worse than SPAM!!!

I'd like to try some rattlesnake sometime. Used to get the Tillamook jerky with the different meats mixed in, alligator, elk, boar, etc. I think the only difference in the taste was the spices. I've only had truck stop grits, so I am sure the real thing would be pretty good. After 5 years of truck stop food, hospital food was even pretty good!!!

Have an uncle near Louisville on the Indiana side. Him and his ex-wife ran a little store near Pekin, IN. I wouldn't eat her cookies, all I could taste was the margarine. I think anything she made had a spare stick of margarine in it.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I forgot to mention rattler!

I had it in chili at a cookoff once. Odd, I thought the texture was kind of like rubbery shrimp. The chili was so hot though, I couldn't really say yes or no on it.

An old friend in SoCal used to take a five gallon bucket, fill it with tequila and then drop a rattler in it. The snake expels its venom when it dies and is then removed. The bucket is wrapped in black plastic and left on his roof for a week or two in the August sun. Then its ready to drink. I never tried any. He's dead now.....

A friend's kid shot some coots when we were hunting one time and grilled the breasts like a steak. It actually wasn't bad, but still a coot. I haven't ever tried that again..

Quick Reply: The true history of grits.