Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Truck Trend 2006 T-O-Y, it ain't one of the Big 3!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats even worse was when, I believe it was Four Wheeler magazine, voted a LEXUS 4x4 of the year...over many real trucks, and the Jeep Rubicon!!! I'm trying to figure out what exactly a truck is supposed to be these days. Apparently trucks don't tow trailers any more. They don't haul loads. They aren't for companys to beat the crap out of as work trucks. I guess trucks are now 4 door cars with a trunk with a missing trunklid. While trucks used to be aimed at being work vehicles, designed to get the job done while giving the driver the best possible interior environment, now they are all about a cushy ride and interior, then see how much room is left over for a bed and payload.

My truck rides hard, bounces over bumps, and breaks my back on pothole filled roads. You know what? I expect that, because I bought a TRUCK!!! If I wanted a Lincoln, I would have bought one!

Its funny to look back at things that were done long ago in automotive history and never caught on, but then many years later, we start copying them. Look back at when Eagle had 4x4 and awd cars. They never sold that great. Now you can barely find a car without awd. Well some of you may have seen the ads for an accessory for cars in the 30's and 40's I think it was. It was a pickup bed for a car. You removed the trunk lid and installed the bed and used your car as a pretend truck. Well thats almost what is happening today- cars are trying to be passed off as trucks. Funny thing is...the conversion in the 40's was probably more capable than the modern versions...

Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NHDiesel
I hear what you're saying. Look at that thing called the SSR. What was GM thinking? The only people I see driving those things are over 50, balding, fat guy's. Look on any dealer lot now days and you will be hard pressed to find a true work truck. When I was looking to replace my Suburban in 04 all I could find on dealers lots were 45-50k Luxo trucks.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01350banshee
Look at that thing called the SSR. What was GM thinking? The only people I see driving those things are over 50, balding, fat guy's.
Hey, I represent that remark! My dad has one of those.

Wait, he is over 50 , been balding for 30 years, and it does shake like a bowlful of jelly (gets mistaken for S. Clause by wee ones)

He agrees with me, it's a totally useless vehicle, but he still enjoys riding around in it.
(per his will, I get it after his passing)

phox
Old 02-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 01350banshee
NHDiesel
I hear what you're saying. Look at that thing called the SSR. What was GM thinking?
Probably the same thing that Chrysler was thinking when they came up with this.