Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Truck handles pretty good

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:16 AM
JKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck handles pretty good

did a little rear wheel steering this morning. Off ramp, sweeping right, up hill. Drifted all the way up in 4th.

Has good manners for a big truck. Takes up a lot of road too .

I usually save this behavoir for the bikes or camaro, but they are all gone and sometimes I have an itch that needs scratching.

"She moves well for a big girl." 8)

still surprised how well it does.

John
Old 10-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Banned

Re:Truck handles pretty good

My truck is so incredibly easy to kick sideways when it's wet. It's to easy sometimes. Almost went off the side of an over pass yesterday doing 5 mph through a turn with my foot off the gas and a full tank of fuel. Most of the times though, I tell it when and for how long I want it sideways. These trucks really are very easy to control given their mass and size. I try and save all of my fun driving for my truck. The Vette is fun to drive hard and fast, but not fun to slide. It's a weird feeling that is very unsettling.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:51 PM
JKE

I agree on the vette feeling. Seems like all or nothing for those. They tend to whip around quickly instead of drift. My camaro was similar, but not as bad.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Banned

It's not that. I can drift it good or I can flat out do a donut in it. Its the fact that it's so low to the ground and it stays so flat when it is sliding that makes it creepy. I can't tell where the limit is. And the car comes back the second you correct it. It's just different than my truck. It's kind of fun in the rain though with the active handling on. Cause the car will be sliding, and then it will instantly stop. Almost like it hit a wall. But if my dad asks, I don't know a thing.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:37 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=10;threadid=20709;start=0#msg194488 date=1065645126]
But if my dad asks, I don't know a thing.
[/quote]

If someone doesnt tell him. : :P
Old 10-08-2003, 04:52 PM
JKE

too new of a vette for me....I'm refering to older versions. Mid/late 80's. easy to lose it...like you say, hard to tell the limit until it is too late.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

It's twice as much fun in a Dually.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=10;threadid=20709;start=0#msg194553 date=1065653722]
It's twice as much fun in a Dually.
[/quote]

You got that right. Nice part is it holds better than the SRW and easier to bring back. Now my Porsche - - once it decides it's turn around time, it does it right now. :P :P My 914 was the one you could put into a slide and hold it around a curve, then bring it back. Great road car, just a little short on go juice. My son has it now and put a 3 liter in it. Oh my word! Awesome but still corners the same as before. What a car on the track - - he passes the 911's on the curves real easy. I quit racing him - - he doesn't play fair any more.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:46 PM

Yeah my minivan is just to powerful and low to the ground but it really responds to corrective steering. Used to have a gremlin that really hugged the corners but had to trade it in for a celica. Now there was a greta ride. Just kidding, you guys are pampered and need to stop posting. Porche and vettes, BMW's and Mercedes heck I am feel great to be in a truck that isn't older than me.LMAO Seriously though for sliding into and out of corners, my dually is awesome. Guess it is the football field long frame and stiffness. Dosn't hurt to have all that torque under your toes either. The best little car I ever drove for cornering was a Fiat spyder and second was a mini cooper or possibly an opel GT. Firts truck was a chevy long bed and it was kinda like my dually is now but could get away from you quick. That feeling of a uncontrolled 360 in dads truck. Can't imagine doing it in dads Vette, doubt I could still fill my lungs with air. ;D Unprovoked, unsolicited and definetly unwanted but it is my 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:20 AM
JKE

hmmm, dually. I do not know anyone that has one...or noone that would let me take it for a "spin". ;D I'll bet that is an experience. I will have to keep that in mind if the opportunity comes up.

These trucks are great.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These things are a little like great big Miatas--fairly well-balanced, and you can get them to slide without having to be at really scary speeds to do so. The onramp that I take to get to my house is almost a complete circle. It's fun to drift around as long as I don't have a snoozer in front of me doing 15 mph...

I drove a friend's Corvette Z06 a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was a big POS that wouldn't even spin its tires until I realized it had traction control... It probably wouldn't be safe to go fast enough to make that thing slide on the street.